Find
Notify
Tools

Drillings are like women!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Drillings are one of those gun types that I find I can't do without. I always seem to have one around, get tired of it, then when it is gone decide I have to have another. I recently sold my Fortuna 16-gauge over 7x65R and now I have a Merkel 96 coming in 16-gauge over 9.3x74R. If it is like the other three drillings I have owned, I'll love it for a few years, get tired of it and sell it, then be sorry I don't have a drilling and buy another. See, just like women (only it's cheaper to have a drilling than a woman Big Grin).

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3817 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've met your wife, and I've seen the 16/9,3 drilling on the way.

I'll take both when you cast them off. Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first drilling I bought was for my wife.
It was a Sauer 3000 in 12x12x30/06, with a kahles 4x scope in claw mounts.

Where she hunted on our deer lease, she could shoot deer, pigs, quail, dove turkeys and ducks, so I bought her the Drilling so she would not have to carry 2 long guns at the same time.

Well we quickly learned how good a Drilling was for a Hunters gun...

I would try to talk her in to letting me hunt with it every chance I got. And when I went on a hunt without her I would always sneak it out... I made the mistake one time, when I snuck it out on an Idaho bear/grouse hunt, I had pictures of it with some grouse I had shot... faint shame

Of course I would have got away with it, IF I had not had her take the film to the store to be developed. homer

However, the good side to this story is, she had never said anything when I bought a Drilling for ME, as now HER Drilling is OFF limits to me...

Except to clean and load ammo for of course...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So My point is, IF I could have only ONE gun to hunt in Texas, for the rest of my life, where I hunt the most, it would be a Drilling.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
So My point is, IF I could have only ONE gun to hunt in Texas, for the rest of my life, where I hunt the most, it would be a Drilling.

I think one could easily expand that statement to cover the entirety of North America with adequate caliber rifle barrel.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Drillings are like women?

My only drilling was a fine Luftwaffe drilling. I do miss her.

If they are like women is it because:
You will share it with a friend?
You can admire her fine lines and form.
If you have it long enough, you want to shoot it?
However, my drilling didn't care if I fondled other drillings and didn't give me a hard time if I ran out of ammunition. Maybe the drilling is better....?
LOL
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I got a drilling for my ex-wife. Man, that was a good trade.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote