New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insert Barrel Makers in Germany
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As you may know from one of my earlier posts, I have commissioned a prototype insert barrel by a machinist who makes nonadjustable inserts. This insert will be adjustable for POI and should return to zero.

However, rather than reinvent the wheel, so to speak, I am still investigating what it would take to import insert barrels into the US. They have to approved for import using a Form 6. A type 01 dealer can "occasionally" import firearms using a Form 6. A type 8 licensee can import them in quantity for resale. As far as the ATF is concerned, the insert barrel must be imported using a Form 6, just as any part or accessory would be in excess of $100 value. I don't believe it is treated as a firearm once it enters the US. I have found so far, in addition to Kreighoff, three insert barrel makers in Germany: Zimmerman, Keppeler and Keller-Simmann. (I am inclined to believe that Keller-Simmann makes the Kreighoff inserts, by the way). I can buy Zimmerman inserts at wholesale through my contact in Germany, and the Keller-Simmann inserts at close to retail. I haven't found a way to buy Keppeler inserts yet. I would like to know if anyone has experience with these brands of inserts. I'm particularly interested in their accuracy, ease of adjustment and return to zero after removal. Here are their websites: http://www.einstecklauf.de/KellerSimmann.html

http://www.keppeler-te.de/cms/...g/insert-barrels.php

http://www.zimmermann-ohg-der-...ialist.de/40623.html

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K&S inserts are outstanding. They are the former "Fritz" inserts. I've had a few of them & all were accurate & returned to zero. Still have on in 22 hornet that I'm thinking of reaming out to K-hornet for my 16/7x57 combo gun.
I also have a short (35cm) 5.6X35R Kriegoff that I haven't gotten around to playing with yet. It's on the agenda though....
My favorite inserts are still the short Krieghoff in 22 lr, to make a drilling/combo a true all around gun. (if I need more power than that, I'll use the CF rifle barrel Smiler I have a couple extras, if anyone is looking for one.
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Zimmermann insert barrel in my Drilling. The adjustments are simple & reliable.

Like any of the others though - it's trial and error. Tweak up/dpwn/left/right. O.K., I can live with that as it's nothing else but bending (O.K., "tweaking) the end of the tube to reach the desired POI.

I've had it out of the 20 gauge tube once and the return to zero was pretty much spot-on when re-inserted. Not being a real "gotta take it in/out" kinda Guy I'm happy to leave it in place unless removal requirement is urgent.

For those who have experience with shotgun tube inserts - the last 1" - 3/4" of a rifle insert in anything above 22 Hornet takes some real smacking with a leather/plastic/rubber mallet to seat it correctly. The Keppeler fellows related if there's not enough tension; accuracy suffers. There are no marrs, burrs, dents or such on the inside of the choke area of the shotgun tube if anyone would be concerned of such. I've looked.

All claim 5cm (2") 100 meter accuracy potential but my experience is that a good Attention-to-Detail handloader can easily cut that in half. Mine, if similar to others was completely bullet dependant. Tried about every hunting enabled (read=not Target/Varmint) .224" 55 gr. bullet in the 5.6x50R Magnum and when the Sierra 55 gr. HPBT GameKings arrived the results were immediately apparent. They shoot well under 1" 5 shot groups at 100 meters and terminal performance on Roe Deer sized game is superb. I DID NOT try any mono-metal bullets; therefore cannot relate what their potential may/could be.

Having said that I've a Keppeler DJV match rifle and have been involved with several additional rifle purchases from them for others also.

My opinion is that the Keppeler Guys are proud of their work and really easy to work with. Every time we visit them; the most diffiuclt part is getting out of the shop as there's always something new & interesting to see that they want to show us.

In my dealings with them they are just a phone call away and customer attentive. Including staying open after hours to accomodate our travel plans when driving through the area. They're a young group and all hunters & sport shooters; their keen interest and client meld is immediate, net, one of us.

I'd just give 'em a call and relate what you're interested in.

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote