THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Help adjusting single turret scope on combo gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help adjusting single turret scope on combo gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

I was hunting this weekend with a fellow who owns a JP Sauer and Son 16 gauge/7x57R over under. It had a scope in claw mounts on it, but I saw it only had one turret. I asked the owner about it, and he did not know how to adjust the scope, but said it shot to point of aim with RWS 7x57R 150-something grain bullets at 50 yards. I removed the cap on the one turret on the scope (on top of the scope body), and the cap concealed the heads of three screws. The scope was marked "Waffen Optik Lanner Luhl", or something like that. Has anyone seen one of these before and can help me help out my friend?

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If the screws are three very small brass screws, it is likely they are NOT adjustment screws. Instead, they might just be holding on the large disc through which they pass. In that case, the disc itself is turned to give elevation adjustment only. It was quite common in the 1920's throgh 40's for some european scopes (and some american ones, like early Leupolds, for instance) to be only elevation adjustable.

In some other scopes, they hold the elevation system and reticule in the scope, and by removing them the reticule can be lifted right out of the scope and replaced with another.

It would help considerably if you could find out and post the make and model of the scope in more certain terms....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
A.C. is correct! Most of those old scopes were only elevation adjustable, internally! The windage was usually adjusted in the front mount, of a claw mount, by simply moveing the scope right or left by a very small amount! In many of these scopes, the reticle did remain centered in the FOV. If it shoots properly you shouldn't mess with it. When it does need something, let a real gun smith who knows old scopes do the adjusting, while you watch. Many of these old scopes were not nitrogen filled either, so you need to not risk openoing the scope without knowing what you are getting into! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
johnnyreb
AC and Mac are correct. In Europe durring the time when that rifle was put together it was common for the gunsmith/gunmaker to assemnble the rifle, sight it in, then deliver it to the hunter who.... hunted with it.
A lot of rifle/scope combinations have deflection adjustable only in the mount.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote