Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Merkel scope mounting info
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Merkel 96K, 12x12x.243. It is great for pheasant hunting where there are lots of coyotes (they get a surprise at 100 yds!) I need a scope though which can be easily installed when a coyote shows. Any suggestions on scopes and mounting methods?

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd send it to Champlin Arms and have JJ install a "claw" mount. They are VERY fast and reliable, you just hook the claw in the mount,

and rotate, push the scope down,

until it locks!

Mine works perfectly, and has needed no adjustment or anything else since i started using it over 25 years ago.

Last fall i was walking along, saw this very good buck,

I took my scope out, snapped it into place and took him through the lungs at 150 yards.

I prefer claw mounts on a drilling over all others...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ Perodeau has put claw mounts on my drilling and on my double rifle. They work perfect.

They return to zero 100%.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the claw mounts, but an alternative are EAW Swing mounts, and they are not as costly. They're also easier to install.

Whatever you do, DON"T have the local gunsmithatit type guy try this project!!

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the experience of the previous posters, but I've learned from my mistakes. If it were me, I'd give JJ or New England a call and ask what they would recommend. A lot will depend on what scope you want to put on the gun. I've had claws, EAW swings and Tallys. I prefer the claws, but swing mounts are a very close second. Swing mounts have the advantage of being a little more adaptable to different scopes. I just plain don't like the Tallytype QR setups on doubles and drillings. I'm too bumbly fingered to operate them in the field.
I'll second L2S's warning. This is not a job for just any gunsmith.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your 96K is a late model gun, then it should be already set up for the Recknagel swing-out quick release mounts which will accomodate both 1" or 30mm rings, your choice.

I prefer these to claw mounts, they are faster to me, keep their zero better, and need less maintenance over the long run.

The claw mounts are more traditional, but not necessarily better.

The Merkel distribution center can install the Recknagel swing-out for you for less than claw mounts, and they are in Trussville, AL.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DM

That is one nice deer. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote