Find
Notify
Tools

J. P. Sauer and Sons Drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted
I have a J. P. Sauer and Sons Drilling. 16ga. Full & mod. i shot trap with it when I was a kid. Loooogago (40 years ago) a gunsmith said that a 25-35 worked in it. I was with him when he shot one threw it. He said "Close enough", that will work. I have the case and the shoulder is rounder. The bore was close to .25. I just pulled the barrel and saw more numbers than I could understand. I did see 16 nitro on both shotgun barrels. The rifle barrel has 6.3/52 and a 5.33 628. What could it REALLY be?

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6,5X52 is the European marking for the 25-35 WCF. I would guess with confidence that is what you have. It was a very common drilling round, as were the 38-55 and 30-30.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by luv2safari

quote:
6,5X52 is the European marking for the 25-35 WCF

I'm a little confused in that I thought that a 25-35 was proof marked 6,3x52 as was mentioned on the original post.

I'm gussing a typo but want to be sure that something is'nt going over my head because I know your knowledge of drillings is far beyond mine.

Anyway like luv2safari says 25-35 was very popular in vintage drillings and the indications are thats what it is.

If a barrel casting shows you have a .264 barrel then I would look at a 6.5x58 Sauer round but if the bore slugs .257 then it is almost surly a 25-35.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Thank for the info. 25-35 it is. Smiler

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote