Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym 55BF
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone have experience with this model Heym - one shotgun barrel over a rifle barrel? I am looking at one that is in nice condition, but it has no scope mounts on the rib. I would like to pick it up but the old eyes really need some optics and I am not sure how difficult it would be to set this up with a scope. Any advice appreciated. TX

Posts: 9 | Location: Cherry Hill, NJ | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, there is a Model 55 boxlock (Blitzschloss) and sidelock (Seitenschloss). I have had several of these in my hands but never owned one. The boxlock model is a very nice gun usually priced higher than other combination guns but IMO no better in quality. The sidelock model is usually a more elaborate gun..engraving, finish, wood...and probably among the better semi-custom combination guns. They are not light guns...I prefer the alloy framed guns such as the Krieghoff Teck, especially if the gun is going to be carried.

Heym made a Model 44 (I think that is the number) that was available in either steel or alloy frame. This gun was comparable to the Sauer 54 and was a good serviceable combo and is very reasonable (in Germany)on the used market.

Personally, if I were looking to get into the better O/U combo guns, I would look at Ferlach products.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For scope mounting options try New England Custom Gun:
www.newenglandcustomgun.com

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost bought a 20ga/222 Model 22S until I realized that it doesn't take down like a normal break-open gun. You remove a screw to take off the fore end, then another screw after that, then finally punch out the hinge pin. Make sure that you are comfortable with that if your gun is the same way.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information - greatly appreciated. If I do buy this one I will post some more info and photos.

Posts: 9 | Location: Cherry Hill, NJ | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote