THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Drilling inscribed with the name Ludwig Borovnik
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drilling inscribed with the name Ludwig Borovnik
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know anything about such a weapon? It is nicely engraved and is a double 12 gauge over a .222 rifle barrel. I did a search for Ludwig Borovnik and found out that he was a gunsmith/engraver who worked for Ferlach, an Austrian firm. A friend of mine is working on cataloging his hunting buddy's gun collection. His buddy died recently and left a huge collection behind which will probably be sold at auction. He ran into this one and is at a loss to figure out what a reasonable value would be. Any thoughts?

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Without pictures, more details, and statement of condition, how can anyone help?

Have him contact Ludwig Borvnik directly and ask what a similar rifle would cost today.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, I will try to get some photos soon. Thanks for the advice.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Borovnik was a upper end of the Ferlach makers back in the early 60's and later. I don't know if he is still around but he would be very old if he is.
Borovnik was one of the gun makers inported for the american market by flaigs in PA during the post war bargin shopping days. Both Flaigs and stoger inported drillings and other fine guns for penny's on the doller of todays price.
Some of the American imports had (for me) some less than desireble earmarks desinged to appeal to American hunters such as white line spacers.
If this gun is a Flaigs there will be an engraving of a log cabin on the trigger gaurd.
Too many options to even guess at a value though,there is a huge disparity in prices between boxlock,sidelock,Scope and claw mounts or not,etc.

We need pics.

I know it's hard to see in the photo but heres my Borovnik 16 ga. x .222 bbf.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Borovnik was (is?) one of the better Ferlach gunmakers. In standard trim, better Ferlach guns command a premium to standard guns from Suhl...but not that much. Upper end guns with deep relief engraving, inlay, and premium wood can be north of #20K.

You need to post pics but the configuration is not going to put this gun in the upper price ranges. 12 over 222 was definitely a gun that was produced to be used in a stand....slugs for big game and the rifle for fox or roe deer. It is probably to heavy for use as a small game drilling. The gun may have had a larger caliber rifled insert (8x57IRS was popular) in the right hand shotgun barrel...large caliber for big game at distance...slug for up close and small rifle as mentioned.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote