Find
Notify
Tools

Hensoldt 4x
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted
I just bought a Sauer drilling that has a 4x hensoldt scope in claw mounts. There is a single top turret with 4 screws in it.

Anyone know how the adjustments work?

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First chance we get lets take it to the range, and while shooting it we can give all the screws a twist or two and see what happens. Eeker Big Grin

If I have a look at it I might be able to figure it out.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of expiriance with these scopes. They are pritty good for there vintage.
Hensoldt was the the best scope in about the 50's and early 60's. It was for this reason that Carl Zeiss bought the company several years ago.
After Zeiss acquired hensoldt they turned the Hesoldt product line into their Z series and put the hensoldt name on the back burner.
After that Hensoldt became a military produckt line owned by Zeiss and to my knolage they still produce opticks for military rifles.
The elevation only adjusments makes for a bit of a problem but nearly all of the claw mounts I've seen have windage screws that will do nothing moore than tourqe the tube of the scope into sight allingment. still this works OK but not ideal.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Those old Hensoldts are classy pieces IMO.

Of the four screws there should be ONE lighter (silver colored) screw and the other three should be brass or possibly even blackened. Net, there should be a BIG difference between the three & one of them. We're currently interested in the LIGHTER colored one; because:

You loosen the silver colored screw to adjust the elevation. The elevation adjustment is accomplished by turning the inner turret once the screw has been completely loosened and it should be re-tightened after the adjustments are made. The old Hensolts did not have a centered recticle, so you'll be able to see how much adjsutment has been made by the position of the recticle in the scope's field of view; either lower/higher of center/middle. Depending on the manufacturing date; it may or may not have "Clicks" or the turret simply turns.

If you cannot get enough adjsutment, then ALL four screws are removed and you will most likely have to use a mechanical aid (PLIERS!) to further adjsut the recticle either higher or lower. By this time you will definately be seeing a difference in the position of the recticle in the scope.

There is @ maximum of 50 cm's; or 20" total horizontal adjsutment built into these older scopes which means from dead center you've only got about 10" to play with - either higher or lower.

Have fun with your new Drilling.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Took the Sauer to the range today and used Remington 180 grs bullets. The gun shot them into less than an inch at 100yds and the only adjustment needed was down 4 inches. Adjustment worked great.

Thanks for the info.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
470, I missed the caliber of your drilling. It would be of interest. Thanks Packy

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
It's a 12x12x30/06

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sauer 3000 12x12x30-06 loves Remington 180gr Core-Lokt PSP ammo. I've not been able to find a handload that betters the Rem factory fodder.

Congrats on your drilling, the ultimate "hunter's gun".

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 470E.....

Sorry, been asleep at the helm and haven't been back here to see how you fared with your new Boomer and it's Hensoldt 4x glass.....but obviously you got along alright, three shots into <1" oughta get the job done - nice.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond since that's what this website is all about; glad I coulda been of assistance - makes it worthwhile.

thumb

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

Your directions worked great.

Thanks again.