New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claw Rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been trying to understand claw mounts for the past few weeks and need a little enlightenment from those with hands on experience. It appears that they are all similar, but is there any standardization to them? Particularly, can I get a set of rings and put them on my Sauer, do I need to get Sauer fitted rings, or do I need to have a gunsmith fit the rings to the bases on my drilling?
Thanks for the help.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All claw rings need fitting, it´s in there nature.

There are different brands of claw mounts and rings.

On your Sauer you could have Sauer fabric installed mounts or perhaps shop installed mounts at a later date.

On my Ds the mounts where done here in Sweden at VO Vapen a decent rifle firm, http://www.vovapen.com/

I have yet to have my gunsmith match up what kind of mounts they are, I bet they are EAW.

Remenber you are talking about 1/100 of a mm when fitting the rings, the claws are blacked with a blacklamp and tried and tried again until fit.

Best regards Chris.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Yes all claw mts need to be hand fitted. Husqvarna has an advantage living in Europe where qualified gunmakers who can intall claw mts are more common.

Don't try to take this to your local gunsmith to have done. there are only a few gunmakers in the U.S. who can properly fit these to your Sauer.

The good news is you have come to the right place. The guy's here on AR will get you lined out. Most of them will probably tell you to send the gun to JJ at champlins. I've heard nothing but good about his work.

I personly use Herbert Wohlmuth at G.S.I. he hase done 9 sets of claw mounts for me a couple were rings fitted to existing bases. He also did the job on my sauer drilling as well as my other suhler drilling.

Be prepared to spend some money because this is a intensive job but from your post I take it that you already have claw basis on your Sauer so that may cut down on the work and price. It may also add to the job if your basis are not compatable with any availble ring blanks that will be fitted to your basis.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Your assumption is correct, it already has bases. I shoot off the open sights, but hope to put a scope on in the next year. There is something wrong with the sights, they are getting fuzzy.
I'll check these guys out.
Bfly

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AKAH claw mounts are somewhat standard to their bases, but still need final fitting by someone who understands how it is done...and NOT done! I recommend that you get the AKAHs if your bases are not a more standard manufacture, providing you want claw mounts. I prefer them when done right to the swing mounts, hands down. The swing mounts are much easier to deal with and don't confound those "gunsmiths" who are not experienced with claws, however.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
I've been trying to understand claw mounts for the past few weeks and need a little enlightenment from those with hands on experience. It appears that they are all similar, but is there any standardization to them? Particularly, can I get a set of rings and put them on my Sauer, do I need to get Sauer fitted rings, or do I need to have a gunsmith fit the rings to the bases on my drilling?
Thanks for the help.
Bfly

I am not aware of any standardization in the claw mount world, although there may be some in reent years. I have a Heym with Suhler claw mounts, which I assume is a brand of the critters, so there may be some interchangeability with other Suhler mounts.

I also have a set on a J.P. Sauer double that predates WWII, and I had to have the rings fitted individually. The originals were long-gone, as was the original scope (if any).

The work on this gun was done by Paul jaeger right here in PA, BUT I think they may have sent the barrels to Germany, as it took 18 months for them to get the gun back to me. I believe New England Custom Guns is the successor to Paul Jaeger for this kind of work.

I myself once made a set of rings for a friend's claw mount bases on a 9X57Rmm drilling. I used a set of steel Bushnell rings, filed flats on either side of the ring dovetails, made claw-bases which I filed to work with the bases on the gun, then silver-soldered the claws onto each ring. This set of "claw-base rings" worked, but it took me a whole day to make them............

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
El
Interesting idea! Tomo has also given me a path with some claw base and rings that are new and have a lot of extra metal to them. I can't move ahead on my claw project for a while since my drilling is at Dr. Peradeau's getting a new hinge pin. It will probably be mid winter or early spring before I get her back.
bfly

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last I talked to them, both JJ and NECG charged $600+ just to fit rings to existing bases. Then you have to add the cost of the scope. And bear in mind, your scope choices are very limited due to the way the scope has to pivot for removal and installation. I really like claw mounts, but few people can install them, and few are willing to pay for a good job

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
black fly

there are easy and difficult ways to get claw mounts on your sauer.

the easy way is to use a front ring with a pre-fitted base. simply knock out the old base , install the new, and the front is done.

all rear rings are individually hand fit. so for the rear you can probably use the existing base, unless it is a very old style with overlarge hole spacing. these were mostly on ww-1 to early 30's guns.

when we supply rings we always have the rears with windage adjustment. this gives more latitude in the fit up.

a set of three pieces - front ring & base plus rear ring is about $300 from me.

jack huntington at jrh advanced gunsmithing in calif ornia will fit them up - about $500, maybe less.

contact me for more details, tom ondrus 814 774 5739 crownpress@alltel.net

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Claw mounts are the most expensive way to fix a scope. In the old times they were standard but this has changed a lot.
My gunsmith will do it for about 600 €, that means around 800 $. Only the new premium combos, drilling etc. now have claw mounts, but I never saw a modern bolt rifle with claws.

If you want to buy a used combo in Germany, and it is with claw bases (they mostly have elder scopes you would like to change), the price disscusion is always "I pay the market price less 800 € for a new scope mount. If you than take an adapter for another mount, you make a good bussines - but it doesnt look so tough.

BTW claw mounts are a job for the few master- gunsmiths. You can make to many mistakes as an amateur.

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote