New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope for a drilling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been trying to decide which scope to put on my drilling and I have it narrowed down to two. A Leupold 1.5-5x20 or a Burris 1.75-5x20 both with German #4 reticles. So which do you think is the best? Or is there something better in this price range?
Thanks

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will you mount it with claw/swing or fixed mounts?

Fixed you should consider a straight 1x or 1,1 as the lowest the 1,5 will throw you off when wingshooting.

With claw or Swing mounts a 1,5-6x42 will serve you great.

Between Leupie and burris, Leupold is my choice.

/Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the Burris on my Kreigoff 16/16/8x57JR and it is fine, and cheaper than the Leuie.

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JEDD, BUY THE LEUPOLD WITH CIRCLE DOT RETICLE - ILLUMINATED. YOU WILL NEED NOTHING ELSE.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of princen
posted Hide Post
Not in your price range Smiler, but I belive a Zeiss Varipoint 1,1-4 x 24 is the best option for a drilling. The field of view is great.

Posts: 1 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although i've read here for quite some time, i'm a new poster here.

On my most used drilling i have a 1.6x6 Bausch & Lomb. It's worked out quite well for the last 20 + years as i was spending much of my time in the bush. I would keep my scope in my pack, and only snap it on when i needed it for longer shots.

These days i'm thinking more and more about buying a 3x9 Zeiss in claw mounts. I would like something that will let in more light at "prime hunting time" than these low powered scopes do. This will work out better for the style of hunting i seem to be doing more and more of these days.

Hope this helps,

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote