THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Source and $$$ for Kreighoff .22 LR barrel insert?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source and $$$ for Kreighoff .22 LR barrel insert?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am looking for a .22 long rifle insert barrel for my drilling and have heard that the Kreighoff, Semper barrel inserts are among the best. Who in the United States sells them, and what should I expect to pay. Also, if you know of other inserts I should consider, let me know.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
The Kreighoff sell for around $750.00 for their einstecklaufs...long or short variety. They can be found on eGun, a European auction site. Some sellers will export to the US.

22LR is RARE!!!!!! You'll find 100 in 22 WMR to one 22 LR.

Used, they are a lot less!

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.einstecklauf.de/KellerSimmann.html

This company produce the insert barrels for nearly all companies, for Krieghoff too.

If you want, I can telephone and aks for the US importer/dealers.

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Btw - the price will schock you, I paid for a
22 Hornet insert barrel about 600 € + the gunsmith (you need a smith for installing it first time)

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
loud+n+boomer,

The Krieghoff short insert barrels for 22LR have not been made for some years, They sell used for 50-100 Euro (~US$70-130?) in Germany. Shouldn't be too hard to get one over here. I have one in my Krieghoff drilling, very accurate.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vasa,

Is there any way you could acquire a 16 GA .22 Magnum insert there and ship it to me in the US?

Allan

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look at this page egun you will find several Insert barrels in 22WMR. There are two versions one wich is 22cm long and one with 44cm the 44 is better don´t pay more than maximum 120 €. The main probleme will be to get a weapon part to the US.

Stephan

Posts: 27 | Location: germany | Registered: 29 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually prefer the shorter one, because I take it out frequently to jump ducks or flush birds etc & need both shot barrels while out hunting. I just slip it in my back pack and never know it's there. They are all very accurate & return to the point of impact very well.

I currently have an extra one. All my drillings have them. If anyone is looking for one (16 ga/22 mag for right barrel).
You are right about getting it here. They have to do an export license for one. Apparently it's regarded by BAFA (German equiv. to ATF) as a firearm.. Unlike here, where it's not regulated since it has no receiver etc. It's like a barrel.
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned many of both lengths, and i prefer the short ones too. I have both a short in LR and a short in 22 Win. Mag. for my "go to" drilling, and they work perfectly.

When Keirghoff sold them new, there were two versions of both lengths, "Std." and "extra". When i sold them new, i asked Dieter Krieghoff what the difference was. He told be the ones marked "extra" were tested for a higher accuracy standard, and the std. ones were just taken as they came. The std. ones may or may not be as accurate as the ones marked "extra". The ones marked "extra" cost more...

I've shot a lot of different ones, and every one i tested for accuracy shot very accurate, so i no longer carried the ones marked "extra"...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
krieghoff made one with a 22 cm Barrel (thats 8.6 inches) and one twice as long 44cm the only difference is barrel length, I think the 22WMR from a longer barrel will have some more power.

Stephan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stephan338:
krieghoff made one with a 22 cm Barrel (thats 8.6 inches) and one twice as long 44cm the only difference is barrel length, I think the 22WMR from a longer barrel will have some more power.

Stephan

You could be right with the 22 mag Stephan, but it probably isn't too much. With the 22lr version, it's probably the opposite. I've chrono'd a lot to 22 ammo from different barrel lengths and the fastest 22lr barrel, IME, is the 10" contender barrel. The 22 CM insert in 22 mag is pretty potent and the short (pocket) length makes it handy.
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried to ask at krieghoff international for the short insert barrels, i am not quite sure they stopped selling them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity - how is the short unit zeroed?

I ask as my Sauer is shortly going to be taking delivery of an einstecklauf ..... in .22lr! Smiler

I can see that firstly the iron sight zero needs sorting out - once that is established, I can finally zero the insert to match.

Until that time, it seems that the insert will have to be zeroed to the scope.

I shall suffer! Smiler

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I already described in here how to get it shooting, just scroll down some weeks.

If it is of any interest I could try to get an original users manual from Kreighoff scan it and put it in here. (don`t know wether that will be in english anyway)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stephan338:
I think I already described in here how to get it shooting, just scroll down some weeks.

If it is of any interest I could try to get an original users manual from Kreighoff scan it and put it in here. (don`t know wether that will be in english anyway)

I saw your "instructions" Stephan. Very good. That's the way I've done it. I've had to remove some metal on the adjusting tabs in 2 of them because they didn't have enough travel. It would be nice to find a set of the original "directions" in English or translated. The only ones I've ever seen were in German.
Greg