Find
Notify
Tools

12/7x57R BRNO Combo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 63
posted
I've just bought an 'unseen' BRNO combo gun in 12/7x57R, the price was good and they don't come up often, so I took a gamble!

Does anyone know anymore about it? I am vaguely aware their were 2 series' of BRNO combi guns, the 200 and 300?? Which is it? I've looked at IanF's pictures of his Bruno combo and their seems to be a lot more metalwork around the breech on this example, and the barrel configuration is also the other way around.

Aside from that, any Combo gun tricks, idosyncrasies and so forth I should know about?

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I have had a Brno 12/7x75R 300 series since the early 80's.

A couple of things, yes there is a lot of metal around the breech/action and it is sort of ugly, but it shoots rather well. The front trigger, could be normal or set they made both versions, fires the rifle barrel. If it is a set trigger push it forward to set it and then a blade similiar to the Savauge trigger engages. Threr can ba a lot of play in hte blade before the round goes off - not a great design in th eBrno but it does work. The rear trigger fires the shotgun barrel (bottom) and then can also shoot the rifle barrel. Sounds strange, but with the other shotgun barrel sets it makes some sence. The safety is on the front side of the trigger guard an is always set when the firearm is broken open to cock. Push it forward to remove it from Safe.

Hope this helps.

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no substantive differences between 200 and 300 series. Between 100 and 200 -- yes.

You didn't take much of a gamble. This Brno model is far and away the most durable, best designed double gun I've owned. One of your grandchildren thanks you. By the way, in a pinch you can use rimless brass. It's just troublesome to remove in a hurry.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
Naphtali, is rimless brass problematic due to the pressure issues, or because of the ejectors? (Or both!)

Given the apparent strength of the action, do you load your rimmed brass to unrimmed velocities?

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 500 series (don't know the model and I'm not home)12ga over 7x57R and I load using normal 7x57 book data with no problems that I am aware of. I'm using 7x57R Sellier & Belloit brass and factory loads. Accuracy is not distinguishable between the two. Good shooting gun but atrocious Irons and PLAIN hardwood stock. Metal fit and finish are excellant as is the wood to metal fit. Factory scope mount works well and returns to zero well. Good groups but climbs as it gets hot and the thin barrel heats up quickly but was not intended for sustained fire. I like it and wanted to take it to Zimbabwe to use on Guinea but never got the chance.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 63:
Naphtali, is rimless brass problematic due to the pressure issues, or because of the ejectors? (Or both!)

Given the apparent strength of the action, do you load your rimmed brass to unrimmed velocities?

Mostly the extractor. No rim to grip, you see...
The rimmed offering are usually loaded to lower pressures (approx 10% or so) simply because the design of the break open guns is not as strong as a bolt, nor do they have the same camming force on extraction.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 63:

Everyone is correct that the extraction is the problem. I've speculated that a clip-on "extractor rim could be used à la 45 moon clips, but I think, never having delved more deeply, that this would necessarily imply altering the chamber to accommodate the "moon clip." The way I've done it -- please don't hurt me -- is to use an ice pick into the spent primer then jack the case loose. This is the quintessential kludge -- an emergency adaptation.

The 200/300 Kersten bolting is exceptionally robust. So pressure would not, should not, be an issue. The breech face (that is, the blocky underclaw plus double (Kersten) double bolting at the top is also very blocky. The receiver is stress free. It could be made of anything that maintains repetitive barrel assembly breech face alignment. I've always referred to the ZH's mechanism as a stone axe.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 584 12/7x57R as well. Since the same rifle is sold in .30-06 and similar loadings, I have no fear in using rimless power loads.

A car key can be used to extract rimless cases in a pinch. Don't ask me how I know.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlos111:
A car key can be used to extract rimless cases in a pinch. Don't ask me how I know.

Something tells me there's a story behind this...

I don't suppose anyone of you has double rifle barrels for your guns, too?
Any views/comments on those? I did a search on the forum and found surprisingly many Brno DR owners, and mostly good comments only.
The idea of barrel changing in a break-open o/u appeals to me although I do understand that then you never have quite a perfect gun. But then with one gun in the safe + extra bbls you cover all hunt, and it's dandy to take along on a hunting trip in a small case.

I've been looking at a double in suitable caliber(s) and given the price & user comments on the Brno it seems like a potent candidate.
The other candidate would be the A. Zoli, but at significantly higher price.

Anyone know if there is much difference between the older versions and the new 803?
If so, what might be the main differences?

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know if there is much difference between the older versions and the new 803?
If so, what might be the main differences?
I could tell little from your link. But the manual shows clearly this mechanism is not that of the ZH200/300 series. So far as I would be concerned, the previous statement is complete.

One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
Well, I collected the gun at the top of the thread today, and it turns out its a ZH104, or at least thats whats stamped on the side of the barrel! bewildered

Anyone tell me about them? Napthali, you mention significant differences between the 100 and 200/300 series guns?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great set up. Cool The scope mount gives it a second dimension... Off-fast handling close work...Scoped a viable longer range rifle... beer

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
Looks like a great set up. Cool The scope mount gives it a second dimension... Off-fast handling close work...Scoped a viable longer range rifle... beer

Actually, with the right choice of scope you can do the close-in fast stuff without removing it. I have a 1.5-6 Sightron SII on my ZH304 for example, and with this mounted and wound right down I've used the shotgun barrel to drop running rabbits, foxes and cats in blackberry and bracken, pull the odd bird out of the sky and even shoot a few clays.

Wound up to 6x the rifle barrel shoots three rouds into less than 1.5moa, and I can reach right out to a wary deer, goat, pig etc.

For mooching around where any one of these opportunities might present itself, as I do, I feel there's few if any choices as useful and versatile. Cool .

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle barrel is where it belongs, too...ON TOP!

The front trigger on a two barrel combo gun should fire the shotgun, IMO, as the first trigger gone to at a rising bird is the front trigger. I dead centered a guinea fowl with a 9,3X74R 285gr Norma Oryx once... Eeker

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote