Find
Notify
Tools

My drilling the way I like them!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys!

I really enjoy this part of the forum, lots of knowledge and more happy spirit then in other parts.

I belive it has to with the three barrels!!???

Well I would like to share a pic of my new best friend.

I bought her last fall went hunting tvice, shot a reddeer and then took a fall, cracked the stock.

After some serious work with the insurance company and a local gunproducer/smith Mattias Tyrefors she came back.With a new stock!!

She is a merkel 32 made just post WWII in 12/70 7x75R has 1/2 choke in each barrel to allow for shooting brenneke and the existing mount for the red dot is about to give way for something like a 1-4x20 Pecar in a saddle mount.

Best regards Christian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a very good rifle, and I think a very rare one. The 7x75R (and so the 8x75R) we call the "richmens cartridge" and you cant find it often, especially in combination with a 12 gauge.

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Burkhard!

Here in Sweden, the use of a drilling is almost always that of a late season gun for taking that last moose that you have a ticket for, or for any other larger game.

There are quite a few drillings in caliber like 5,6x52R or .222 Rem and a few others however on the second hand market where I do my bidding, those drillings go for 2/3 of the price of the larger bored ones.

This upcoming wekeend I might get out to hunt for fox and wildpigs.

Best regards Christian

Picture of Old Shatterhand
posted Hide Post
Nice stock job och fine wood. Tyrefors has a very good reputation in Sweden and he has obviously get that reputation quite fairly.

But I doubt, that it is an early post-war II. The Merkel 32 was made from about 1960 to 1988 or so. However, its a good and fine construction, which can take a lot of hard use. Smiler

Here drillings are used for most team hunts with hounds in autumn and winter. Roe, fallow and red deer, as hare, fox and moose are bagged. And the 7x57R is the standard drilling and combo cartridge here - 9 out of 10 use it. Some 6,5x57R, 7x65R and 8x57IRS are also seen. The .22 calibre drilling are mostly used for hunting black grouse and capercaille.

Regards,

O.S.

The lever-action carbine is an immensely practical shooting system. It is compact, rugged and reliable, and offers quick follow-up shots when needed with just a brief flick of the wrist.

Posts: 6 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hej Fritz!

Skönt att se att jag får mothugg när jag har fel, angående ålder på vapen. ie i detta fall min drilling.

Nåväl i övrigt är vi väl sams, en bra bruksdrilling? Eller hur?

Hi Shatterhand aka Fritz, glad to see you here, quite a few of us Swedes here I do belive.

Thank you for correcting me regarding the age of my drilling, I one repeat the misinformation I have been told.

However for the most part aren´t we on the same level, it´s a good working drilling, right.

Best regards Christian.

Picture of Old Shatterhand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:
Thank you for correcting me regarding the age of my drilling, I one repeat the misinformation I have been told.

However for the most part aren´t we on the same level, it´s a good working drilling, right.

Best regards Christian.

Hallo again Christian!

You should check the age of the drilling yourself - I could by some mysterious reason be wrong. On the side of the barrels, just beside the locking lugs, there should be a three- or fourdigit proof date number stamped. The two last digits are for the year, the preceeding for the month. E.g. my old Sauer doublebarrel shotgun is stamped 135, and thus proofed in January 1935; a gun stamped 1066 was proofed in Octobre 1966 (It's not the gun of William the Conqueror!).

A hunter here in the village doesn't shoot any other gun at all but such a Merkel drilling from the sixties. It isn't any blue left at it and locking isn't quite tight anymore, but he bags everything from hare and pheasant to moose and hog with. He hasn't got any optics on it.

Regards,

O.S.

The lever-action carbine is an immensely practical shooting system. It is compact, rugged and reliable, and offers quick follow-up shots when needed with just a brief flick of the wrist.

Posts: 6 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
I've found my password again, and will continue as Fritz Kraut. "Old Shatterhand" was a new nick I took to get a new login, as I lost my old one.

Regards,

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is goo to see that you are back again Fritz,

Ill look in to the dating of the barrels, however I sincerly doubt that you be wrong.

Thanks again, This one will follow me constantly as well.

The red dot will have to go, perhaps a claw mount will be adressed in time.

Best regards Chris