Notify
Tools

Luftwaffe Drillings
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
Greetings!
I have a request for info re the Luftwaffe drillings. A friend in ACOG [Arms Collectors of Georgia] is working up info on these pieces [hopefully leading up to another book!] and would really like to know of any, specifically the S/N and the date the piece was testfired. Does not desire and has no need for names, just the stated info.
Many thanks and best regards,

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I probably shouden't even reply as I don't know any of the answers to your question but I'm guessing that wwII records from Sauer may be compromised since the company made a hasty retreat from Suhl at the end of the war.

The luftwaffa drillings were not a bad idea but spendy for a militay gun. My understanding is that they were built at the request of Herman Goering who probably was thinking that it was a cool idea to outfit his planes with top end hunting guns since he was such a hunter himself. I probably would have done that myself if I could have gotten away with it.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
I probably shouden't even reply as I don't know any of the answers to your question but I'm guessing that wwII records from Sauer may be compromised since the company made a hasty retreat from Suhl at the end of the war.

The luftwaffa drillings were not a bad idea but spendy for a militay gun. My understanding is that they were built at the request of Herman Goering who probably was thinking that it was a cool idea to outfit his planes with top end hunting guns since he was such a hunter himself. I probably would have done that myself if I could have gotten away with it.

From what I know, which is not very much - Fritz is the expert - When the factory at Suhl was over run, virtually all the records were destroyed [burned] Sauer has turned a deaf ear to any requests for assistance here maintaining that they have 'nothing that would help' so be it.
The guns were allegedly made in three runs over a span of three years, typically German in that the years were identified by the first 2 numbers of the serial number. Also, the date they were proofed is indicative of whether or not they were actually used [issued] per Fritz. I do know he has made several trips to Germany to study and research this and other firarms related matters.
and agian, thanks for your input.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Luftwaffe Drilling was a Drilling Sauer&Sohn Modell 30, so it became the military modell M30.

It was a drilling 12/12 9,3x74R with shorter barrels. They produced a quantity of 1.000 rifles. The guns
were prior to the air force fighting in Africa as part of a a survival set.
I dont find the way to send a pic, so there is a link of an hunters forum where you can see the metall box with the ammo and the instruction manual.

http://www.wildundhund.de/foru...7702e08f95ba685bc25f

All the gun collector I knew are very interested in such a rifle, its hard to find.

If you have such a drilling, in the original metall box with the ammo (its packed in special paper) and all the proofmarks and the manual than it would be very easy for you to buy a new Krieghoff Drilling (Neptun) moneay

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://waffenhandel-zwack.de/langwaffen.html

Found a used one. In a bad condition for about 3700 USD.
Saw infos of a M30 in an auction including the original box for about 20K

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was some twenty or more years back an article on these in Guns and Ammo in the late 1970s.

Did not the US also have the same concept although in .410/.22 Hornet?

I also think that German bomber aircraft had spare bipod mounts on board so that if force landed the bomber's machine guns could be dismounted and used as an LMG.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have it on good authority that most of the Luftwaffe drillings that came to the US came home in the duffle bags of a Kentucky Guard or Reserve unit who overran the Sauer plant during the war.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have heard, some care needs to be taken that a so called Luftwaffe Drilling is authentic. In the absence of records from Sauer, according to a Buechsenmacher friend in Germany there have been some shennanigans going on.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
From what I have heard, some care needs to be taken that a so called Luftwaffe Drilling is authentic. In the absence of records from Sauer, according to a Buechsenmacher friend in Germany there have been some shennanigans going on.

I'd think that would be tough to do. Not that many drillings in the period were in that caliber/gauge and all the marks, specs, metal & wood would have to match. I'm sure it's been done, but it shouldn't be hard to spot. I've had the opportunity to buy a half dozen of them over the years in the boxes w/acc.
I should have bought them all Frowner
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one in 1974 from a local pawn shop owner who had had it from the early sixty's. No one in Topeka Kansas would even look at it it cost me a whole month salary and two years in the dog house with my wife, who to this day get mad when she see it in the vault. (in 74 as a police officer I made 525 a month before taxes)

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M30_Luftwaffe_drilling

Well I don't know either, but can get started with this link. Interesting External link..Brazil, be sure and read that. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
I have always been very interested in the Luftwaffe Drillings but very expensive and hard to find but I do have the "modern" version a JP Sauer M3000 in 12x12/9.3x74R.......

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand Sauer manufactured a couple more for collectors in the 1970s or so.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some pics and story of one on military photos.net

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, in my 20s, I was offered one (boxed as shown above) for sale in St. Boniface, Manitoba, Canada. The price was (as I recall) a couple hundred dollars. I didn't have it. Just another example of "Timing is everything".

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
TrapperP:
If you can, locate the last "Index and Reader" of the Double Gun Journal. I wrote a piece on James Watts (of .450 Watts fame) and his experience with a Luftwaffe drilling. I bought the gun from James and sold it 4-5 years later. It was complete in the aluminum case with rod, tips, ammo, target, and factory documentation as to date and other specs. A doctor who wanted to buy it passed on it when he told me the felt was human hair--creepy! I have a bit of info on the drillings but all is packed away as I'm selling my place. Send me a PM and I will try to locate it and can photo copy anything I have and mail it to you.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnb:
I bought one in 1974 from a local pawn shop owner who had had it from the early sixty's. No one in Topeka Kansas would even look at it it cost me a whole month salary and two years in the dog house with my wife, who to this day get mad when she see it in the vault. (in 74 as a police officer I made 525 a month before taxes)

Big Grin salute

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that they have 65mm shotgun chambers... Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the one i bought in 1974 has never been fired to my knowledge I could never find the right ammunition for it at the time it went into the vault and has stayed there except when I check on it and keep it wiped down, Years later I bought a colt drilling in 12 gauage and 30-06 and have used it since,

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote