THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    New to drillings, need help with 9.3x72R loads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to drillings, need help with 9.3x72R loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are some pictures of my "new" drilling. Chamber cast and bore measurements confirm that it's a 16x16x9.3x72R. The 16ga chambers look to be 2.75" but are most likely 2 9/16", the bore measures .364" which is correct for the 9.3x72R. The rifling is very sharp and the crown is clean which leads me to believe this gun spent more time in the closet than in the field.

The barrels say "Krupp Stahl" and the water table shows nitro proofing for both shotgun chambers and the rifle barrel. The proof marks include the notation "11/23" which I believe indicates proofing in November of 1923. The gun is unmarked as to maker but looks just like every other Suhl hammer drilling I've come across, just a heck of alot cleaner.

Dies, brass and bullets are on their way from Buffalo Arms, there's a Feb. 1991 Handloader article on the 9.3x72R that I have sitting on the desk for a starting point but does anyone have any suggestions, tips, hints or tricks for loading 9.3x72R?

Anyone using brass shotgun hulls with IMR Trail Boss powder?

Here's the pictures:

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice drilling,

I have a desire for one with hammers,

regarding loads, you seem to have the all the components in order,

Had it been me, I would have bought a bunch of RWS or S&B original loads to start of with, to get a baseline and make sure that all is sound and that it´s shooting decent enough to warrant handloading.

What bullets is it that you have bought?

You are aware that the x72 is not a real .366 bullet cal, it´s a bit smaller!?

Still a great gun, try and find out if it´s regulated to shoot brenekke out of the shot barrels!

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullets are the correct 193gr .364 bullets sold by Buffalo Arms.

If you desire one with hammers, after I get done with load development this one might be available Big Grin I'm thinking my next drilling will be hammerless and scope capable. I bought this one mainly to learn and see if I like drillings. I really, really like drillings Big Grin

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oregon- don´t tease, there are relly just two hurdels to why i wouldn´t take you up on that,

one the prices on drillings in the US are far to high,

two the price to have the drilling exported to Sweden is even greather,

So I guess i will just have to find my "new" drilling elswere.

Best regards and the best of luck, and remember what I said about Brenneke.

Chris

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
When I had my delicious back action SIDE LEVER 9.3x72R hammer drilling w/16g shotgun barrels I started with RWS components from Western Scrounger and used Cartridges of the World for loading data. Bullets were from Hawk (.365 I think).

I didn't own it for long and frankly I didn't work up a good accurate load.

Very, very fun. Back action locks only please!

Good luck with your drilling

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OR,

I have had several 9,3X72R drillings and one cape gun...Start with 39 to 40gr of IMR 30-31 and the 193 gr .364 bullets. 30-31 was designed for the 30-30, and it is about perfect for the 9,3X72R.

In a stronger action you could go to 43 grains, but I don't feel it is appropriate for the snap action and an older gun. I killed several deer with the 40gr load, as my drillings all seemed to like it.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote