New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love drillings!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went out turkey hunting yesterday AM. I had a little spot saved for a rainy day, which is good because it was raining pretty hard when I broke out the drilling, covered myself & the drilling with a poncho and headed for the spot. The old army poncho lets you do everything, calling, loading, pouring coffee etc. under the "tent". I Got an answer & shortly 2 hens came in; then a decent gobbler who, with some coaxing, come over to @ 30 yds. I hit him with the first barrel and knocked him down. He got up and took off. The 2nd barrel knocked him down again, but he up was running now. I was surprised as the old girl has never failed to put one down @ that range with the first shot. Anyway, he was hot footing it toward the other side of te clearing as I switched to the rifle barrel cocked the hammer & centered him with a 180 gr 9.3 bullet. Lights out! I was sure glad to have that 3rd barrel. He was hurt bad enough to not survive, or be coyote bait. I went back & chrono'd the loads. I had modofied the old standby to lower the pressure a little. Turns out they were only making @ 900 fps Frowner.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The drilling IS the true hunter's weapon. Cool With the scope option, high power rifle, two shot tubes, rimfire and small centerfire inserts, one gun can do it all in capable hands like yours...

and mine. Roll Eyes Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love drillings too... Cool

In this state you can't shoot turkeys with a rifle... But we are now getting over run with them, so maybe that will change in the future?

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
I love drillings too... Cool

In this state you can't shoot turkeys with a rifle... But we are now getting over run with them, so maybe that will change in the future?

DM

We can't shoot chuckar with rifles here in NV, but the regs don't say anything about "barking" them off the rocks. Roll Eyes Smiler

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote