New
Find
Notify
Tools

To bluieng or not on old drilling!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have bought a old Sauer & Son Drilling Anson & Deeley in 16/65 8x57jr from 1926! It is well used but in good conditions. There is no bluieng left on barells ! Whats the opinion , should I blueing it or let it be like it is ? I like how it is now!

Matts

Posts: 147 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Don't plan on a hot blue, you can melt the solder on the barrels. If you want a new finish on the barrels I'm sure there is someone in Sweden who can do a cold rust blue for you on the barrels. You can finish the reciver anyway you want even case color wich is an even hotter procedure than hot blue.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a bottle of Mark Lee Express blue and you can rust blue it yourself in a day. Very easy & only 20 minutes or so per coat. Brownells has it.
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always determined what to do with the rifles I buy by how well they shoot and whether I intend to keep them for myself or not.
If accurate and a permanent addition to my personal collection I will have a craftsman do what is necessary to repair, restore and add to the value. If I don't care that much for the rifle I don't touch it as someone else may prefer the original condition. If you like the way it is now don't mess with it until you decide to keep or dispose of it.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think unless the gun is really unusual, you should do what is necessary to make into a reliable and low maintenance "shooter". So reblue it and enjoy it.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you re blue the barrels and they look like new but the rest of the gun - action, wood et al isn't restored at the same time, then it (reblued barrels) can look out of place.

If you like it how it is, then I would say no, don't reblue it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, you answered your own question. You said you like how it is now...........I'd just keep a coat of paste wax on it to prevent rust and enjoy it's character.

Regards, Byron

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote