New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCTF Mission & Vision on Lion Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The key is getting info in front of the right people. Someone may actually get the written info before he gets it. However if someone with the right contacts can actually get verbally to Salazar and a few others even more can be done. I believe John Jackson is on top of the move to uplist the lion and the powers know there is direct opposition to the petition. The other side sometimes can do themselves in and there is hope they will do so. Other than that I do not know how to see what is on his desk but i do no he knows and there are a few higher ups in USF &W that are on our side.Some info can not be thrown around or it could be used by the wrong people.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:
Please show us some evidence of this along with pics of the lions shot in the lower Zambezi. This is one of the areas I watch closely.

Show what you are citing sir.

Tune into tracks across africa sometime.

Sir...with all due respect...TAA ain't no reasearch project. I know Dave Fulson pretty well...And while I think his show is outstanding...It does not show any hard facts as to lion numbers.

The vast majority of lions they kill on that show are from the lower zambezi. You see a fairly wide range of younger and older males. All the outfits I know in Zim all say that the population of lion in the lower zambezi has been rising for the past several years.

As I said...show me some proof. Cause...I have talked to many that have said just the opposite. I remain unconvinced as to increasing numbers as do many others.

I was there 7 years

I have been there since you.

ago and saw lion %50 of the days I was there and we were not even hunting lion. Lastly I attended a dinner and Craig Boddington, who was the guest speaker talking about lion management, actualy stated that the lower Zambezi as one of the few places on the African continent where there are too many lion. It has adversly effected their calf mortality in the buff herds.

I attended a similar meeting at DSC featuring Craig on Lion. He did make that statement but gave no evidence of the fact...only opinion. I have even exchanged e-mails with him numerous times on the subject. If he chimes in...he can verify that statement. Others with equal experience have offered differing opinion. Some of them monitor this thread...maybe they will chime in???

As best i can tell there is no one within the lower Zambezi doing an in depth lion management study so you will actually have to listen to the people that hunt there or work there. Maybe a good study there could be funded by the LCTF so yall could learn a wide range of management goals and objectives for not just lion but how they manage their surroundings in conjunction with other species.

You are exactly correct that we are NOT working with anyone in Zim specifically as their are few working there. We (LCTF) would love to have a Zim biologist contact. Guy Balme works a little there. I also must say though that is one of the only countries we are not not working with biologists on the ground.

Again...I say show me some proof that lions are increasing in the lower Zambezi. I hope they are...but...

Lane in red.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The key is getting info in front of the right people.

Who are "the right people"?
quote:
Someone may actually get the written info before he gets it. However if someone with the right contacts can actually get verbally to Salazar and a few others even more can be done. I believe John Jackson is on top of the move to uplist the lion and the powers know there is direct opposition to the petition.

It would appear that 5 anti-hunting groups have jointly submitted a formal petition to change the ESA status of the lion (as is their right to do). Has anyone submitted anything formally to counteract this petition? Are you concerned that is you submit something formally it will be intercepted before Mr. Salazar gets it? Are you implying that if you could get the "right" person to verbally contact Salazar, this would be more effective than submitting something formally?
quote:
I believe John Jackson is on top of the move to uplist the lion and the powers know there is direct opposition to the petition.

"the powers know"? or someone has formally opposed the petition?
quote:
The other side sometimes can do themselves in and there is hope they will do so.

Is this part of the LCTF's "strategy"?
quote:
Other than that I do not know how to see what is on his desk but i do no he knows and there are a few higher ups in USF &W that are on our side.

By stating that you do not know how to see what is on Mr. Salazars desk are you stating that your organization has not filed anything in writing counteracting this petition?
quote:
Some info can not be thrown around or it could be used by the wrong people.

This appears to me to be a legal battle, at least the "anti's" who have filed the formal petition are fighting a legal battle. I fight these type battles daily (not the same subject, but the same process), and they are neither fought nor won in the shadows. We have a legal system in which people present their cases and then the other side refutes or agrees and settles. I would be interested to hear where the LCTF feels this should be fought in a different manner.

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This appears to me to be a legal battle, at least the "anti's" who have filed the formal petition are fighting a legal battle. I fight these type battles daily (not the same subject, but the same process), and they are neither fought nor won in the shadows. We have a legal system in which people present their cases and then the other side refutes or agrees and settles. I would be interested to hear where the LCTF feels this should be fought in a different manner.

Mr. John Jackson of Conservation Force will handle that part of the battle. We (LCTF) and Mr. Jackson stay in close contact. The LCTF's stategy here is to support Mr. Jackson...and provide proof to Mr. Salazar that listing is unwise.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By stating I do not know what is on Mr. Salazar's desk in no way say we have not submitted anything it says that I do not know how to read everything he gets on his desk. Yes Mr. jackson is leading the legal issues and has been fighting for our rights for 30 years. We don't and will not interfere with his work. We are here to help him in anyway we can. If we can get someone that can and will be listened to and will help us, we will try and get them to do so. These anti's try and have secret meetings all the time and do not want hunters knowing when and where.If we thought this was the type of legal battle where you just make your case and a judge decides it is not. Yes as bad as you and I dislike politics they are in play whether we like it or not. We hope to fund studies in the field and educational programs for native people and hunters alike.We want to help in the habitat loss battle and will do what we can and we need the support of the hunting world to get this done. I am not a lawyer and Mr. Jackson is and he has the knowledge of the system which is critical to all conservation issues.I just want to help and if I can offer any assistance that will help I will be better for it. I do not have answers to every question ask and don't think I ever will have all the answers but i can listen to what the scientist, lawyers and wildlife ministers have to say on the subject and learn enough so that I may be an asset to the LCTF. I did not start or was I the one that thought of this cause but getting involved, I learned a lot and when I leave to go lion hunting in August I will try as hard as possible to shoot a big mature lion and If I do not see one that I feel sure is old enough I will not shoot one.I really hope I do. The LCTF needs and wants anyone that wants to help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the chances of getting John Jackson of Conservation Force to join in this conversation and inform us of what is going on?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Mr. John Jackson of Conservation Force will handle that part of the battle. We (LCTF) and Mr. Jackson stay in close contact. The LCTF's stategy here is to support Mr. Jackson...and provide proof to Mr. Salazar that listing is unwise.

apparently your close contact with John Jackson is not quite as close as you believe. in your post above you state that:
"You are exactly correct that we are NOT working with anyone in Zim specifically as their are few working there. We (LCTF) would love to have a Zim biologist contact. Guy Balme works a little there. I also must say though that is one of the only countries we are not not working with biologists on the ground."
In a fund raising letter I received TODAY from Conservation Force, I directly quote Mr. Jackson: "This quarter we have funded lion projects in Save Conservancy in Zimbabwe, in Ethiopia, and in Tanzania. Believe me, we are doing all we can and are uniquely positioned to see it through."
I think you need to contact Mr. Jackson and update your "close contact".

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a meeting with Mr. Jackson recently he stated how we could help best and That is what we are trying to do. We want him to do what he does best and we will help any way we can.For some odd reason he agreed with the change from shooting young lions to old mature lions as if that was done it would help the fight.Just because we have not participated with the Zim projects he is working on does not mean we will not be. We are young and have not been in the position financially to do that. We simply have to walk before we can run and we are trying to do all we can, and helping Mr. Jackson's cause is one of those things we can do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tune into tracks across africa sometime.

Sir...with all due respect...TAA ain't no reasearch project. I know Dave Fulson pretty well...And while I think his show is outstanding...It does not show any hard facts as to lion numbers.

I know it is not a research project but it is filmed evidence that according to yalls aging guidelines they are shooting some underage lions there. That was my point. For more photo eveidence look at the reader's pics in African Hunter magazine.

The vast majority of lions they kill on that show are from the lower zambezi. You see a fairly wide range of younger and older males. All the outfits I know in Zim all say that the population of lion in the lower zambezi has been rising for the past several years.

As I said...show me some proof. Cause...I have talked to many that have said just the opposite. I remain unconvinced as to increasing numbers as do many others.

I haven't talked to one single PH in Zim that thought the number of lion in the lower Zambezi were falling or in danger of falling.

I was there 7 years

I have been there since you.

I was there again in December. Who cares.

ago and saw lion %50 of the days I was there and we were not even hunting lion. Lastly I attended a dinner and Craig Boddington, who was the guest speaker talking about lion management, actualy stated that the lower Zambezi as one of the few places on the African continent where there are too many lion. It has adversly effected their calf mortality in the buff herds.

I attended a similar meeting at DSC featuring Craig on Lion. He did make that statement but gave no evidence of the fact...only opinion. I have even exchanged e-mails with him numerous times on the subject. If he chimes in...he can verify that statement. Others with equal experience have offered differing opinion. Some of them monitor this thread...maybe they will chime in???

As best i can tell there is no one within the lower Zambezi doing an in depth lion management study so you will actually have to listen to the people that hunt there or work there. Maybe a good study there could be funded by the LCTF so yall could learn a wide range of management goals and objectives for not just lion but how they manage their surroundings in conjunction with other species.

You are exactly correct that we are NOT working with anyone in Zim specifically as their are few working there. We (LCTF) would love to have a Zim biologist contact. Guy Balme works a little there. I also must say though that is one of the only countries we are not not working with biologists on the ground.

Again...I say show me some proof that lions are increasing in the lower Zambezi. I hope they are...but...

I tell you what. Why don't you just head over there and spend three weeks there and do some scouting. Talk to the boots on the ground. Get a feel for it. I can't show you a written paper because there isn't one, but you might learn there is more to a number stamped on a page, just like there was more to age than a splotch on a nose.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you need to contact Mr. Jackson and update your "close contact".

JDollar,

I am not sure what you are stating. Conservation Force and LCTF are 2 COMPLETELY seperate entities who ally, are firends, and have common goals.

The LCTF does not have a good boots on the ground biologist contact who does major work in Zim at this moment. We work with some minor projects. The Save is a small part of Zim and they have been on the right track for some time...with some thanks to Conservation Force and the very conservation minded members.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
505 gibbs
one of us
Posted 05 July 2011 22:13 Hide Post
I have read the "petition" posted on this forum, has someone submitted something in writing to Ken Salizar's office to counter act this? What would it take to get a copy of that?

I think that Aaron has already answered this, but: Conservation Force is preparing and will file the response. The deadline has not yet been reached. Inasmuch as the response is being written, there is nothing to post yet. Naturally, JJ will not want to leak the content of the CF response ahead of it being filed with Ken Salazar.

If any of this is incorrect in any detail, perhaps Gerry will correct it.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
blanco,
are you a member of the LCTF?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
blanco,
are you a member of the LCTF?

Yes. I am LCTF's lawyer. I filed the certificate of incorporation yesterday and will take the lead in obtaining 501(c)(3) status.

My family and I hunted the Kafue with Richard Bell Cross in 2010. A great experience. I have not hunted lions and do not expect to. That does not prevent me from knowing how important they are, both as the apex predator and for their economic value to the concessions, the tribal communities, and to the wildlife agencies of the African countries. I am donating a lot of time supporting the effort to save lions and lion hunting.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing that Conservation Force is going to file a response. Are they the only ones that can do so or can anyone file a response?

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post