New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carcano M41 Sporter Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine picked up a poorly sporterized M1941 Carcano in 6.5 to give me a as a gift. I've been toying with the idea of possibly making it into a sporting rifle similar to my 1893 George Gibbs Steyr.
I've been looking at options for restocking this rifle and there doesn't seem to be any options available. Original stocks only had a straight grip. I would like to have a pistol grip. Other thank making my own stock, do any other options exist?

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only source I can find is this Australian company:

http://hatchersriflestocks.com...italian-carcano.html

Boyds used to make one but they no longer list it. You might try contacting them to see if they could do a one off for you.

Posts: 3683 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Post a pic of what you are looking for.

Roger

Posts: 1036 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have contacted most of the current stock manufacturers in the US with no success. I really like the Classic English stock from Hatchers. That is basically the style that I had in mind other than having a round bottom to the grip.
I'm going to pick up the rifle today and take a look at it. I don't know if I can rationalize sinking that much money into wood for a Carcano.
Thanks for posting their nfo.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my 1893 George Gibbs. I'm thinking something similar. This little rifle is such a joy to carry and shoot.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Its not a difficult thing to make your own stock.
I'm no expert, nor am I a woodworker ...welder, machinist by trade...but I found to get the stock shape I wanted, I used the old stock, or another damaged one, and modified it with blocks of wood and body filler to get the shape I wanted then painted it with a good quality epoxy paint to make a pattern for a pantograph.
The original stock gives you the inletting already done and the epoxy finish gives a hard surface for the pantograph stylus to run on without gouging the surface.

Roger

Posts: 1036 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses. I picked up the Carcano earlier today. This is the first time that I've personally handled a Carcano. The bore is actually in very good condition. Theses Italian rifles are certainly not very refined.
I'm comparing it to my Mannlichers and the Steyr 1893. What's up with that Carcano safety?
A lot of wood was removed from around the receiver. I now know why folks modify the original and just paint it. I'd be better off finding a cut down stock rather than working with this one. Will any Carcano stock fit this barrel/ receiver? I know that the earlier rifles had a hexagonal barrel base.
I will probably do some loads and see how this one shoots. I have .268 bullets that I use with my Gibbs,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Carcano was my first center fire rifle. Back in 1964, I traded a 16 gauge shotgun for a sporterized 6.5 Carcano. They have always intrigued me as I’ve had two more since then. My last was a nicely sporterized 7.35.

Strangely, I’ve never seen one that has been rebarreled. I believe Tom (dpcd) had built a 35 REM on one and I’ve heard of 7.62x39 versions.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Lots of 7.62x39 conversions, mine in 35 Carcano ( blown out 6.5x54MS case ), Theback40 has one in 35 Remington....

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about 6.5 Grendel. It’s based on the 7.62x39, I believe.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote