THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    Trigger action on military Mauser 98 - follow-up

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger action on military Mauser 98 - follow-up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a follow-on to my question about adjustable triggers. A simple question that I have is also the first time the situation has occurred.

The Mauser to which I've been referring is an anomaly for me. After its double pull reaches final pull, trigger has glass-like crispness while also having a breaking weight of approximately 8-9 pounds. I have not yet braved the snow to walk to the range. (Dirt road is still for snow mobiles and skiers only.) My period of trying or getting used to the trigger has been done in the house. A commercial trigger, Timney, Huber, or other is more than $100. I welcome your experience with similar circumstance plus reasoning for decision you made.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have a couple rifles now with the original two stage trigger and have had others including my first hunting rifle. They have never particularly bothered me so they stayed as is. To me they are better them some heavy gritty commercial rifle triggers I’ve tried in the past on a few rifles.

Bottom line is if you end up liking them why change?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind've an acquired taste?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
Kind've an acquired taste?

I suppose. Big Grin

As mentioned by others in your other post it is possible to lighten them some if that’s a problem.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Most everyone using a 'modern' rifle wouldn't put up with a trigger pull of 8-9 pounds no matter how crisp the let off was. It is an absolute fact that light crisp triggers on rifles and handguns are one of the factors conducive to accuracy.
I replaced the trigger on my Oberndorf Mauser Sporter shortly after hunting buffalo with the original two stage trigger and when then getting into load development with jacketed and cast bullets.

IIRC the two stage trigger was smooth but heavy although let off was crisp enough. The Mauser trigger does not compare in anyway with the Timney trigger I fitted which gives a light no creep release and break like glass let off. This trigger has been on the Mauser 404 for 4.5 decades without any further adjustment or changes to the trigger qualities. Money well spent.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is way too much for a typical 98 Mauser trigger. Something is wrong. Check the spring, rust, and the bottom of the receiver that the trigger rocks on; that is very important to be smooth. Also the sear and cocking piece have to be smooth. Yours is likely not original.
I will send you another one for free. I have a few Mausers, and I can tell you that no correct Mauser ever had a trigger pull that heavy. They are usually 4-6 pounds and are not difficult to manage.
As for the double pull design feature; it is't broken and is easy to train to use. Many of my personal rifles retain the original trigger.
Of course since those Americans are spoiled and won't train, everyone wants the Timney. Sure they are lighter and only have one stage.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote