New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 International 7x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My father gave me a Ruger #1 .243 as my first deer rifle and I have been smitten with them ever since. I have owned several of them in a variety of calibers and I have always been able to get them to shoot well. The one model that I haven't tried is the International (RSI) with the Mannlicher style stock. I want one in 7x57 (there is always room for one more 7x57 in my gunsafe). Can anyone tell me what kind of accuracy they have had with these rifles (and perhaps recommend some loads)? Thanks a ton.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one that had absolutely beautiful wood. The gun was a consistent 1" grouper with the occaisional 5/8" group. Load was 154gr Hornady Spire point in W-W brass over 46.5grs W-W760 and lit by a federal 210m. Got trading fever and let it get away. Been sick ever since. The chrony made me trade it. Out of the short tube that load was only making 2400fps. I decided that I needed something faster. That 154 at that velocity woud have killed any deer on the planet. It was the best pointing rifle I have ever had. reflex264

Posts: 78 | Location: TN | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have good tastes !
A#1 international in 7X57 mauser would be wonderfull. If you get one I would recomend you try H-414 with a 140 grain bullet. I belive the intl model ruger will have an 18.5 inch barrel. My 7X57 is a CZ full stock (prety classy to if I say so myself) its tube is 20.5 and I get good results with 140 and 150 grain bullets Up over 2800. I would be suprised if you could not get at least 2650, witch is what I get with 160 grainers, great groups too . With heavier bullets I use RL-19. If you get one I would love to hear all about it ! I would put a Leupold I.5 X 5 onher...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger No 1 International has a 20 inch barrel and to my eye it's the nicest rifle Ruger have made. In 7x57 it's a very pleasant rifle to shoot. It sits vey well in the hands, points like a shot gun and shoots straight.
The rifle and calibre seem made for each other.
I have shot factory Hornady 139grain load it put 3 shots into .90 of an inch, Highland 139 grain grouped at 1,25 inches.
I've just these last few days got some 170 grain Norma PPC bullets which I hope will prove accurate. We shall have to see.
If you find one in good condition buy it you won't be disapointed.
I almost took the hand off a fellow who advertised a fired only 5 shots number 1 RSI at 2/3 the price of a new one.
Sshh, Don't tell any one but I prefer the 7x57 to the 30-06 for deer. Wink

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the input. I must say that anyone who likes 7x57's and Mannlicher style stocks has good taste. I too prefer the 7x57 to the 30-06 on deer and it was the only caliber I used for many years on both mule deer (139-140 grain bullets at around 2800 fps) and elk (160 grain bullets at around 2600 fps) in the mountains of Utah. The rifle is a P.O. Ackley with a medium weight barrel on a Mark X action. I had friends who used the 30-06 with 150gr/deer and 180gr/elk but my 7x57 seemed to shoot as flat and kill as well with less recoil. It is still my absolute favorite caliber for hunting mule deer, and some of our shots here can be on the long side.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
My African hunting partner uses a #1 Mannlicher in 7x57 for light plains game. He swears by it and it looks REAL good when doing so.

Never hurts to hunt with an accurate and good looking firearm.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a No.1 RSI in 7x57. Shoots 150 and 160 grain bullets very well. Wonderful rifle. Try a Leupold 1.5-5x VX III, if you intend to scope it.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPhillips.
It's inetresting to hear your choice of scope. My RSI has a 1-4x Leupy which I think should be replaced by a 1.5-5x.
Is yours one of the new ones with the index matched lenses? Are they better than the previous series III?

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to annoy you
Wink
I have a pre WWW2 Husqvarna on an FN action in 9.3x57 which, to my eye, makes the RSI look like an ugly stick. (Perhaps I'm over stating things a little bit but if you want to praise something you may as well do a good job of it). It is a very graceful little rifle the Husky.
wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
DPhillips.
It's inetresting to hear your choice of scope. My RSI has a 1-4x Leupy which I think should be replaced by a 1.5-5x.
Is yours one of the new ones with the index matched lenses? Are they better than the previous series III?

Actually mine is a Vari-X III, not the new VX series. I just made the mention of the VX series because Leupold doesn't make the older one anymore. Red Face

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 7X57,
has a VX2 2X7 on her. I must say it ain't a bad scope at all, But I would like to get a VX3 on her, Either 1.5X5 Or 1.75X6. Bothe are available in gloss again and can be had with a heavy duplex. I am leaning towords the 1.75X6 it simply has a little bigger objective and would be a little better in low light, the 1.5X5 has would look great on my rifle, and the 20mm end would be a little less likly to be full of pine needels and such after slinging the rifle and covering some rough country...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jones,
The 1.75-6 works well on the RSI, but I've put it on another rifle, which needs the extra bit of magnification. The eye relief, that bugeroo of No1's is better with the 1.75 than with the 1-4x. For me the 1-4 is best set at about 2.5x for general use, the 1.75 can be comfortably used at 4x. Extra magnification when prone or taking careful aim whilst leaning against a tree permits comfortable use with either scope at its'high magification
My 1.75-6 an older matt finish one that I like very much. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oldun,
I am jealous. It sounds like you have a real gem of a rifle in a cool caliber. Those Husqvarna rifles have great workmanship on them. Do you hunt anything with it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a #1 RSI in 7X57 in my future, and it will wear a Leupold 2.5 compact, as do most of my rifles these days.

"How do you know this to be true?" -- Finn Aagaard

Posts: 103 | Location: Orange County, CA. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load suggestion: IMR 4350 50-51 grains; Hornaday 139 gr SP, cleaned up WW cases; Federal 210 primer. A more pleasant shooting load you will not find. Shoots right at one MOA in my 7x57

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, the 9.3x57 is a surprisingly accurate cartridge given, that mine anyway, is shot over iron sights.
The first thing I shot with the x57 was a rabbit at say 60 yards this was to get my eye in.
The only large animal I've shot was a wild pig, we don't call them boar here since they are feral animals rather than truely wild.
Hit by a 270 grain Speer at about 40 yards the pig nose dived into the ground and was dead on reaching him.
The 9.3 x57, within it's limitations is a great cartridge. Recoil is not heavy and the Husqvarnas on 98 actions are very good.
I should use it more, but then there are a few other rifles which have to be given their turn at being taken for a walk.
Weidmannsheil

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
Just to annoy you
Wink
I have a pre WWW2 Husqvarna on an FN action in 9.3x57 which, to my eye, makes the RSI look like an ugly stick. (Perhaps I'm over stating things a little bit but if you want to praise something you may as well do a good job of it). It is a very graceful little rifle the Husky.
wave

hijack That's OK I guess. lol I just picked up a Husky 640 barreled action that shows great promise. I stuck it into a J.C. Higgins stock temprarily till I see how it shoots. Mine's a 30-06. END OF hijack ON MY PART.
I don't have the International in 7x57, but not because I haven't been looking. I do have the #1A in 7x57 and of all the Ruger #1 rifles in my collection, that one would be the last to go. beer
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote