New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the Classic 30/06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So far this summer, I've torn a retina and buggered my right hand in a wood chipper, so I haven't been able to shoot. Mental gymnastics are all I can do, and that part of my body is out of shape.
So,for some discussion, if the classic 270 is a pre 64 Model 70 (ala Jack Oconnor), what would be the classic 30/06? If I remember correctly, Jim Zumbo dragged around a Mod 700 for quite a while. And if I recall correctly John Jobson carried an 06, but do not remember the model. TR used a Springfield and a 95 in 30/03. And of course T. Whelen carreid an 03 Springfield.
So in your thoughts, let's see what this American classic would be.
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
In my mind a winchester 70 featherweight stocked in pre 64 controlled round feed. That's about as 'classic' as it gets.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the Winnie is the .270 classic, then the Springfield must be the '06 classic. Great action, great caliber, great weapon...unitl the Garand came along (yeah, I know there was the P14 and 17, but we are talking classic)!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no doubt the springfield !

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't nothin' more classic than a sporter built on an'03 Springfield! Cool

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one: Springfield 1903 with a Bishop stock and a Lyman 48.

And a Winchester Model 54: restocked with a Williams 5D

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70, restocked in a McMillan, cerakoted. All weather iron-sighter:

Pre-64 Featherweight:

All variations on a theme Big Grin

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends on which part of the country you're from.

Here in the western part of Virginia, the classic deer rifle for many, many years was the Remington 742 in 30-06. It used to be absolutely astonishing how many you saw carrying them. But then, about 20 years ago, the bolt guns started making a lot of headway.

Then for several years, as far as the classic 30-06, it'd have to be a Remington 700.

Things are much more diversified now. But we still see a lot of 700's. Also see a lot of Rugers and Savages. The model 70 was just never really huge here.

Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
To my mind a pre 64 M70 in 30-06 is the classic rifle/cartridge combo, since it was my first rifle as a kid. I won't tell you what happened to it. I am still kicking myself. AlL I will say is that I was a capricious youth, who thought he needed a bigger gun and didn't have the cash to get one. Mad

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
remington model 30-s is the clasic 30 1906 to me.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never could warm up to the Springfield. To me it would have to be a Model 70 SuperGrade.

I bought one, but my wife claims it's hers now. Cool

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 1903 Springfield Sporter (G&H or Sedgely)
#2 M70 pre-64
#3 M700

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could not find a photo of one, but the G&H sporterized '03 Springfield would come very close to being the Classic of Classics in 30-06.
Would like to see a photo of one of those if anyone has available?? Some of those produced pre war were works of art in the gun world, or at least to me.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
buckeyeshooter: In my mind a winchester 70 featherweight stocked in pre 64 controlled round feed. That's about as 'classic' as it gets.

Ditto, my first centerfire rifle, still in my safe. And of course the 03 Springfield Sporter.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the '03 Springfield sporter as used by TR and, I believe, Stewart Edward White.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16396 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The classic '06 would be an NRA sporter Springfield or a Griffin & Howe Springfield from the late 1920's......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Winchester 95?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIt would be hard to make a choice between all the fine bolt actions mentioned in this thread.What would make one more classic than the other.A worn in Mod. 760 is a real class act for a hunting rifle.roger
fishing

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I think M70 when the thought of a .30-06 comes to mind. Of course the Springfield is the real .30-06 classic though. For some reason I've just never been drawn to them. I have given much thought to building one in a 35 Whelen.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
1. 03-A3
2. M54
3. M70

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic Springfield for Big Game Hunting.

For the type of big game that Shoots Back!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Could not find a photo of one, but the G&H sporterized '03 Springfield would come very close to being the Classic of Classics in 30-06.
.... Some of those produced pre war were works of art in the gun world, or at least to me.

+1

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
How about an M1 Garand.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington Model 30 or a Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1924 High Velocity.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Griffin & Howe sporter.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't forget the sedgely's

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a 1903, but I see a lot of Remington 760's in PA.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any springfield custom built into a sporter,because the springfield action was specifically designed for the 30.06 round....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 in 30-06

The Remington 700 is probably the single largest seller of any working mans rifle and the 30-06 is the the working mans caliber.

It was my first rifle, had I been smart it would have been my last rifle too

Except for a 375hh...

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it seems to me "classic" translates to wood/blue/bolt action. an older rem 700 or a m70 win should qualify. this is one of those "in the eye of the beholder" questions.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
#1 1903 Springfield Sporter (G&H or Sedgely)
#2 M70 pre-64
#3 M700

Nice summary and spot on.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I don't think anything is more Classic than Basic Black (Pre-64 M70 Fwt 30-06):

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
How can black be classic??? Walnut/blue thats classic.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll agree that a pre 64 FW '06 is a classic.

But the black plastic ain't classic.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
You guys obviously know nothing about fashion... sheesh.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Aside, I wouldn't want a piece of wood on any serious hunting rifle...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fence post is classic!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The fence post is termite food Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
I don't think anything is more Classic than Basic Black (Pre-64 M70 Fwt 30-06):

I like your rifle!! thumb

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fence post is classic!

x2 - in fact the post, the sage, the mountains...the whole American West...can it get any better??

For classics - all '06 flavored, 3x9 scoped and used only with W-W's 180 grainer power point #30064 -

Pre-'64 M70
German Weatherby Mark V
Browning "safari rifle" olympian grade

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Would like to see a photo of one of those if anyone has available?? Some of those produced pre war were works of art in the gun world, or at least to me.

Yes on the G&H '03, the Classic of Classic American rifles.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote