New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 20" barrel velocity?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one got any reliable chronograph data for various loads with a short barrel? I'm still thinking about getting a CZ 550 FS, but I'd sure like to see some velocity numbers first?

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My barrel is longer, however, using a standard of about 35fps for each inch lost in barrel length, I'd guestimate 2250fps with a 286gr bullet. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
With Norma factory 286 Alaska ammo, my 20.5" barrel clocks at 2306 fps.

------------------
Andr�

[This message has been edited by Andr� Mertens (edited 04-02-2002).]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
Thanks for the numbers.

Elmo

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I'd bet that round would be the cat's pajamas on elk and moose "in the thick"... I have an article by Finn Aagaard around here somewhere on the 9.3x62... he cut his barrel to 20" as well.

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad
You read my mind. I'm still waffleing between that and a 20" .376 Steyr Prohunter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x62 is perhaps the ideal brush heavier game rifle. Also well fitted to shorter barrels as its a little low on powder space, so needs not the slowest powders.

But to gain full advantage of that really impressive power it offers a long barrel would be fine. Ask Ray about that.

Conclusion: two 9.3x62�s. Light weight and hard hitting. Same dies and components.

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<toto>
posted
Elmo I get 2700ft per sec from a 26" custom and 2600 from a 23.6" cz using 250nos.bt hope this helps.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Elmo, if you'll allow me to speak to your quandry...

If it were me (personal opinion, not stone-tablets "down from the mountain) I'd go with the 9.3x62 and never look back.

It's a "classic" round that is available worl-wide... ok, at least on the other side of the world!

Brass will be cheaper and available forever... you can always "make your own" from 06' hulls.

Really, in all practicality, I'd bet there's very little to choose between one round over the other in terms of actual (not paper) killin-stuff in the field.

Personally, I doubt the 376 will survive.

One Man's Opinion,

Brad

BTW, I'd also get the 20" barrel... like Andre's post shows, with its bore diameter and case size you'd give up very little (really, nothing) that would make any difference for the type of hunting this round is designed for, and you'd have a very practical, handy carbine-package.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyones comments. I just ordered a .376 Steyr ProHunter 20" barrel with iron sights. Mike Smith posted a "Heads Up" on the African forum on the great prices that CDNN (Texas) was selling them for. $499
I already own a Steyr .308 and it is a very fine rifle that is very accurate. As far as it becoming obsolete, I'll just buy 300 new brass now and not worry about it.( I'll probably be obsolete before it will!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
To make a 376 go away forever, 9.3x64 brass would have to disappear as well. One can make 376 brass by re-forming 9.3x64 brass, and it appears the 9.3 cases are not disappearing yet.
I already have 100 pieces of 376 on hand, and no rifle for it yet (its to be made in about a month). I'll add more brass to my supply, and not even worry about it. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<richard10x>
posted
The .376 steyr already has the smell of death around it, surrounded by an overpriced "gimmick", "Stealth-Ninja, Tactical, Scout, psuedo military" rifle, and associated with a great American whos personal integrety is above reproach but after taking a personal financial bath in the Bren Ten debacle i cannot get involved in another of his projects.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rich
Don't sugarcoat it! Tell us how you really feel. When I go hunting, I like the smell of death. I'm not a big fan of the "scout" concept either. My rifle is not a scout. The .376 Steyr cartridge however, is well suited to my needs.

<Harry>
posted
FYI
I just received 100 rounds of Norma 9.3 x 62 brass and a set of RCBS dies from Midway today.
I have 100 rounds of loaded 286 grn factory Norma so I should be set with 200 rounds of brass.
Shot my Husky today and wow..with a Leupold 1.7 - 6 with heavy duplex I got 3 shot groups under 1 inch. Needless to say...I am most pleased! Wonder what it would have done with a scope with thin cross hairs and a good shooter?
Off we go to Africa on the 28th. It and the old 30/06 (it has been before)and the usual 180 Nosler Partitions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI, There is an article on the 9.3x62 in the latest issue of The Accurate Rifle. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote