New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving on from R15 in .308 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 308 Savage 99F (1950) settled on 48 grs. of CFE-223, and that's a near max for that lever gun, but preferred hunting load..My bolt gun settled on 50 grs and maxed out at 51/52 grs..I suggest cutting back about 4 grs. and work up a half gr. at a time, looking for accuracy and keep an eye out for pressure, as each gun is an entity unto itself..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41855 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I believe this CFE-223 is going to be the deal.

Shot well in the first rounds I loaded with excellent velocity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great. CFE223 would have made the military push to replace the 5x56 unnecessary.

The ballistic requirements are met by CFE223 in either the 7.62x51 mm or a military 7mm/08.

I have seen some amazing 35 Whelen, 275 grain velos posted by folks shooting CFE223.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great powder...I will get a barrel squeky clean with a 100 or so rounds, has been my experience. Gets great velocity and accuracy also..

Im even getting great results with CFE-223 in my 9.3x62, another caliber thats doesn't seem to be picky about powder or bullets..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41855 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any leads on a mail order company that might have a 5# jug of CFE-223?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 323 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:
PM sent

Thank you kindly sir!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the Vihtavuori powders. N140 is right beside Varget in burn rate. N135 is about H4895 in burn rate. N540 is just a hair slower than Reloder 15.
These are temperature resistant and contain de-coppering agents that work. Small granules for easy metering. The bench rest boys love this Finnish powder.

43 grains of H4895 always worked with lead core bullets for me.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried VV133 and 140, It worked well in my 308, I think I like CFE-223 or 748 best so far, both at 48 grs in my 99, but lot of powders work so well in the 308, you just need to play with one that shoots best.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

posted Hide Post
My vote goes to H-380.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Varget in 165/168 in 308. However, until just recently, it has been the very hardest powder to get because it is the best selling commercial powder. It is super flexible, like the 4895’s. CFE223 is a great powder, but it is temperature sensitive.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 4064 but have used all mine up and it is not available at any of the shops here.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 308 is just flat easy to get along with, so versatile, and don't forget VV133, VV140, BAlc2 and H380..they all work!! in that great caliber. I use CFE-223 just because it cleans the bore, gets lots of velocity, its accurate, and I have a couple of pounds, I used WW-748 for years and its great in the savage 99, 308 max loads of 48.5.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A new powder for the 308 just hit the market. Supposed to be about the same burn rate as Varget.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/winchester-staball-match/

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CFE-223: Load work up.

48 grs is max in my Savage 99 and very accurate.

In my pre 64 Win fwt 308 50 grs is my chosen load, and I went to 51 grs but cut back to 50 as I got a few almost but not quite loose primer pockets.

these loads also equeled my 30-06 with 150 gr. loads but the 06 beat the 308 by 70 fps average with 180 gr. Noslers and even a 100 fps with 200 gr. accubonds... all of which means nothing much in the field..

What was interesting was the 130 gr. TTSX at 3100 in the 308. Both guns are incredibly accurate..that is destined to be my deer load this year..I will play with that load work in my 06 sometime this winter..

Some of these powders are just all but imposible to find, and if you do then add on Hazmat..I would try to find a more available powder and get a 5 lb. jug of it..I do believe that the powder situation is coming back into production as we got a lot of hard to get powder this week. One wonder if its been a scam to jack up powder prices, much the same as fuel pricing, make us used to it and acceptable then flood the market, we know that works on us..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the best performance in the 308 Win. With H4895 if you can find it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The shelves in Idaho are filling up with powder, the famine is over it appears..Powder like fuel seems to have gone sky high, that's the way they manipulate us, Now were willing to pay out the kazoo, were a nation of born suckers!! but what the hell it is what it is..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
FWIW my 308 likes 130HP and 3031.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Yep…R-15 is back available.

J. Lane Easter, DVM