Tools

Why you use a .300 H&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tell me. Why do you like the .300 H&H?
Thanks

PS - I bought one and am liking it.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why?
Does whatever a Magnum 30 cal should do.

Digests about any powder - bullet combo I put thru it.

I like the 26" barrel ( since mine has one".

Feeds butter smooth with that long slender case.

Not many people have one, so always generates lots of chatter about it.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very accurate in my Pacific Research stocked Sako action.
A bit more energy than a 30-06.
The only rifles I have that are smoother feeding are Mannlicher Schoenauers.
Killed my biggest Whitetail with it.
Nostalgia.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I simply like the nostalgia of it. Combined with a CRF Model 70 or a custom on a CRF/pre-64 70 action (though I would be equally as happy with one on a good Mauser action) and what's not to like...I have two. One a customized pre-64 and the other a Dakota 10. Congrats on your purchase dogcat.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed a moose, bear, a couple elk and a handful of mule deer with mine. None of them complained and none escaped so I suppose it's a fine cartridge.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I think the nostalgia factor and that the 300 H&H being the sister to the 375 Holland making a great 2 gun battery is why it's still popular. Also as stated the tapered 300 H&H case feeds like butter in a slicked up action. Finally it's really not that far behind any other 300 magnum to make any notable difference is performance.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12871 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Remington 700 Classic (1983?) in .300 h&h. Wasn't considering it except I got it with a Leupold for $440.

Having a difficult time finding ammo for it. Will chronograph some loads and decide if it will be trading material for something down the road.

I love the caliber. Cabelas did a limited run of the Ruger #1 with a color case hardened receiver, upgraded wood and 26" barrel with barrel band. I'd rather have it.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Only because it is classic; otherwise, there is no reasoner it to exist. It was developed in 1925 as the Super Thirty and should stay there, except for the fact that it is old/cool. There are much better choices now, if you are just practical.

Posts: 17124 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happen to have a 1951 Winchester M70 in 300 H&H. Quite accurate. I've carried one for quite a few hunts and never wanted more. I have probably shot more game with the 300 Wby. Mag. and can't see much difference other than a little flatter trajectory.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With handloads it will equal most 300s, and don't forget the extraction ease of that standard case, especially if you get a fractured case..I don't know of a legitamate downside to the 300 H&H. I will take on anyone who comes up with a LEGITAMENT down side..I shot one for many years and wish to hell Id of kept it in that weak moment, and no I never had a head seperation and my cases did not stretch any more than any other 300..It took max loads and only the recent big dogs on the 404 case beat it but by very little..Its condemed by nonsence and balistic masturbation by some "experts"

Thats my story and Im sticking with it and will defend the old girl with all my heart and soul! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like classic rifles and cartridges. That's why I like my 721 in 300 HH.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alot of fine art was made in 300 H&H.

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rcraig: A Remington 721 in .300 H&H? No wonder you like yours! beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a goofy question.

Posts: 725 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goofy? Because someone wants input before deciding on a new rifle? I think not.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a lifelong competitive shooter, I lay great emphasis on flawless functioning. More "modern" cartridges, like the Weatherby Magnums and their offspring, use sharp shoulders to increase powder capacity, and sharp shoulders lead to jams. In my three trips to Africa in which I killed large numbers of plains game with my pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in .300 H&H. I never experienced a jam.

At one point I was called upon to deal with a pack of Cape hunting dogs which had intruded on private land and killed game. I emptied my rifle at them, resulting in four hits and one miss. Three of the hits were scored with the target running at full speed. My rifle functioned, as usual, flawlessly.

I also used the rifle for unsupported snap shots on both greater and lesser kudus, the former at over 100 yards and that latter in the evening twilight, both resulting in one shot kills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog, I think Ross knows much more than the question might indicate. In fact it made me chuckle.

Posts: 725 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will know a little bit not much about the .300HH. So far, I love it and found the extraction perfect. I like all calibers from 6.5 up to .375HH, but this one is really nice.

Mine will be a model 70 CRF. Looking for ammo, brass right now, especially brass. If you have some good brass, I am all ears and dollars.

Thanks for the comments.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Ross, I have the 300 H&H in a Boddington Ruger No. 1. It's my favorite, bar none.

180 gr TTSX at 3,050fps. Love it.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The only .300 magnums I have ever owned have been chambered in .300 Rem. Ultra Mag.

The other .300 Mags never interested me. For .300s, I have always relied on the '06. If I wanted more, I have always used the .338 Win. Mag.

But then I went with the RUM. First in a post-64 Model 70 classic controlled feed rifle chambered in the .300 RUM by the factory.

It is a sweet looking thing, but my Model 70 classic in .300 RUM will not shoot for shite. I have given up on it.

I need to re-barrel it and of course I am thinking of .404 Jeff, but I am not sure and it is sitting in limbo in the back of the safe.

I have just scoped my other .300 RUM. It's a Christensen Ridgeline. I have not yet taken it to the range but have high hopes.

Christensens come with an MOA guarantee. We shall see. The rifle is light as a whisper and has a threaded muzzle for a brake or suppressor.

Now, earlier this annum, I finally went back to ground zero and was honored to have Matthew Roberts agree to work on building me a .300 H&H Mag. on a Mauser '98 action.

After some reflection, I came to realize that Messrs. Holland & Holland long ago solved the mystery and I am buying the solution.

I hope to hunt this rifle wherever and whenever I can.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Lexma,
You know where my .300 HH came from. It is a work of art and stunning.
I just need some hand holding to confirm I have fallen for Christie Brinkley and not Billy Joel....

Matt is putting a .275 Rigby together as well....

Again - am hungry for some .300 HH brass or ammo if you know anyone with some extra....

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ross, Michael Robinson here. Big Grin

I bought a bunch of Nosler premium brass. It ain't cheap but can be had.

John Rigby & Co. in London are building me a .275.

We need to stay away from each other. dancing

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are contagious and dangerous to my retirement....

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You're ALL contagious and dangerous to my retirement! Damn! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the classic 30 Cal magnum, feed a smooth as hot butter and is an accurate round. and pairs with the 375 for a two gun hunt.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Because they're cool. 1950 Model 70 .300 Magnum, trigger like glass. It's a great old rifle.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is brass and loaded ammo on Gunbroker. Prices are a little high to ridiculous.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 70 XTR in 300 with factory deluxe wood (400 made). I shoot the 300 H + H version because it is accurate with 165 grain, 180 grain, 220 grain and even the stash of Barnes Original 250 grain bullets. I can match 300 WM velocity with 180's and under and beat it with 220's and 250's. It is a classic and although not popular by the masses, it does the job if you place the bullet correctly. I load my own and have a fair supply of cases so I do not worry about ammo availability in stores.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason needed to use the 300 H@H over others is because you own one.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
The only reason needed to use the 300 H@H over others is because you own one.

Yep, kind of like the various 6.5's and 7mm's out there...

Blondes, brunettes or red heads....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Boddington Ruger No 1s in 300 H&H because it is a really good rendition of a traditional single shot.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, we need a like button here. That's a classic for sure.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I sold my old beat to hell Win. mod 70 pre64 in 300 H&H with the first stock I ever built on it..sold it on AR, wish the owner/buyer would call me and sell it back to me!! Dont recall who that was btw..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .300 H&H (Sako L61R) because it is by far the most accurate and consistent .30 caliber magnum I've ever owned. A 180 Nosler Accubond at 2960 fps groups consistently in 3/4" or less. What else do you want?

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When a cartridge is 100 years old and is still respected by PH's, Guides and hunters it needs no defenders. I have owned four Pre 64 Model 70 that I recall, all shot under 1 Moa. Model 721 Remingtons were often even more accurate.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I like the heritage of the round. It's classic. Ballistics are about what I'm looking for - kind of a super hot loaded '06 with low pressure. But more performance can be easily achieved if needed. Very accurate. Flexible with a wide range of bullet weights.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 300 H&H is one of the coolest looking cartridges

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Just look at the cartridge. However, don’t buy. The ammo is already too expensive.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Because the long, tapered cases tuck nicely into a leather ammo belt and dont fall out. Its a Quigley thing. hilbily
Actually, I've never had a 300 H&H. But if I saw a good deal on one locally I might be tempted to. I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the best way to get a 300 H&H today is rechamber your 30-06 mod 70 or 98 Mauser..The 300 H&H fetches amazing amounts of cold hard cash.. Now if I can just find a junker with a good barrel..but what will I do with all those loaded and once fired 300 wm cases, like two big coffee cans full and 20 boxes of loaded ammo..damn!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120