THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Building a new custom rifle, my way? Pictures finally added!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a new custom rifle, my way? Pictures finally added!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys:

Once a year I try to pick up a new rifle to add to my collection. Now this may involve selling one or two to get the new toy, or sometimes just out and out buying a new banger to add to the stable. I have three or four customs and semi customs so I am not a stranger to this game.

In Feburay 07 I started toying with the idea of a new brown bear rifle for Alaska. So the search was on for my BB caliber. My all time favorite, go to rifle, is a Remmie LSS, with a black & silver stock in 300 RUM. It shoots sub MOA with Remmie factory ammo, 180 & 200 grain Nosler Partitions. All I have ever done to this rifle was a 3# trigger job. I have personally taken over 18 head of big game with this caliber, from Montana to Africa. So I decided my next rifle would be a 338 RUM for BB. A little more omph and heavier bullet weight than the 300 RUM for Mr. brownie.

I was trying to come up with something a wee bit different in the design department. I had a couple of ideas floating around in my head and seen a few different custom touches that I would like to try.

One idea was a custom break, same width as custom barrel, probably #5 countour, with flutes on the front of the break to match the flutes in the barrel. The rifle would be in SS and the inside of the flutes that were cut in the barrel would be painted gun metal grey, to match the gun metal grey Leupold Boone & Crockett scope and rings. Then I will have my gunsmith Flute the bolt and paint the inside of the flutes the same gun metal grey. I will have him do a trigger job, bed the stock and do a criss cross ss finish on the action and barrel. All coming in scoped at about 9 pounds.

So I ordered a McMillen stock, black with green and white marble effect, Shlien barrel, SS Remington Long action, new Remmie trigger, custom break. I was ready to go ahead with the project when my nephew decided that he wanted a custom rifle for our New Zealand Hunt coming up in March of 08. Of course it takes like five or six months to receive a McMillen stock, not near enough time to order and get his, so I offered him my parts for his rifle. My gunsmith is building it for him in 300 RUM.

As I surfed AR, Gun Broker, and Auction Arms, I came accross a twin sister of my beloved 300 RUM a used Remmie LSS on Auction Arms ....and guess what caliber, yepper... 338 RUM. So I bid and won at a good price and had it shipped to my gunsmith. It was in excellent condition, and after checking the bore with a hawkeye bore scope and firing a few groups decided what the hell. I will try out my ideas on this.

I had my gunny cut the flutes in the stock barrel, bolt, and muzzle break. I ordered gun metal grey paint from Brownels. We finished the design of the break, bedded the rifle, and did a 3# trigger job. I also purchased a slightly used gun metal grey Leupold 4.5 X 14 Boone & Crockett scope off the boards at a $200 savings.

I just got the finished project back and it looks pretty good. I will snap a few shots tommorrow and post them to get your opinion. Under the light of a room the gun metal grey paint seems to not have enough contrast from the SS barrel. But in the daylight outside it does show up better.

I just love the the silver & black laminated stock on the LSS's, Remmie stopped making these about four or five years ago. This stock fits me as perfect as any custom stock I could order. I also purchased gun metal grey Leupold Rings, and kept the bases SS beacuse Leupold does not make gun metal grey bases to match the rings, go figure.

Ok here are the pics, lets see how close you can guess to my actual cost I have in this rifle. Remember I bought the rifle and scope on the web used. Closest guess get's a Mickie D's lunch. Smiler

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Anyone care to take a guess how much this set up cost me all up all in?

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle...$875 is my guess.

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hnts4fun:

I wish that is all I had into this rifle...LOL Remember the cutting of the fluted barrel, bolt, custom muzzle break, bedding, trigger job, painting of all flutes, was done by a highly tained gunsmith. $$$

Not to mention the cost of the rifle, scope, rings, and bases. Plus I had a cosmetic dent fixed on the forearm tip.

Thanks for guessing.....

REgards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter

Let's add $1000 to my previous guesstimate, although I'd be surprised if even that covered it. I think you and your nephew will be well armed for your New Zealand trip. I sure like that laminated stock... goes well with the gunmetal gray.

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
$1530

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tyler:

Congrats on the Smallbore Nationals, and just how old is the youngest member of the 45-70's club?

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Well not to much interest in guessing I guess. But the total amount I have into this rifle is $1850.00

That covers the purchase, transfer and shipping of the rifle around $600.00 used. The used Leupold scope of $450.00 and all the custom work done my gunsmith. I have the actual break down on the work performed if any body is interested.

His fully custom rifles like my nephews being built will run in the $2300 to $2500 range, depending on the options you have picked out.

Regards... Jim P>

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Congrats,

Good looking rig, except for the brake. I bet it's needed with a .338 RUM though. What do you plan on killing with that thing anyway? It looks like a lot of rifle for PA Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi TC1:

Yeah, it's alot of rifle period. I am used to a break on my 300 RUM, it really cuts down the recoil tremendously.

This is going to be my new Alaskan Brown Bear rifle. It hits hard on both ends.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.......PAHunter .., Pretty rifle ., I was going to guess 1500-1800 .,.,I had a synth stocked , stainless 338 RUM really liked it ...The brake is a welcome addition for blastin,., I did alot of load development for mine and I honestly couldn,t beat the factory 250 gr Swift factory load ...It did a full 2900 fps from my rifle ...There are 2 other RUMs I,de like , ofcourse a 375 but also a 7 mm ......That would be my pick for a long range wolf rifle ....Again nice rifle ..........Just remember [ and don,t be offended ] but bear don,t read ballistic data , so when you shoot your brown bear , keep shootin till he is on the ground ....Have fun ... popcorn. BOOM

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pa hunter,
very nicely thought out rifle
i'd not change one thing
just make sure to use a premium bullet
them brownies are huge and tough.
thanks for posting,
regards Smiler

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gumboot458 & JJMP

Yeah I stuck with the factory loads with my 300 RUM, 180 and 200 grain both shot around sub MOA. I do hanload for about 10 calibers, but when factory fodder has a good bullet and shoots close to MOA what's the point.

I have 4 boxes of the Remington 338 RUM 250 grain Swift Aframes. I have to get out and shoot it again after all the mods have been completed. I am a big fan of the Swift Aframes and have used them in my other African big bore rifles.

I don't know about Brownies reading balistic tables, Eeker but I do know I want a big stick when trying to bag one. Smiler

Thanks for looking...

Regards... JIm P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
My latest custom rifle is a Win. Mod 63 automatic. It has a quarter rib, barrel band front sight, barrel band swivel. It comes with a Talley QD peep sight and a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan scope in Talley QD rings that are hand fitted to the quarter rib that has an extended bace on the top of the receiver, and all is very low and compact..It has a really nice exhibition turkish walnut stock with cresent butt plate, egg cheek piece, and loads throught the "back" of the stock so no hole in the side of the stock..It shoots under and inch at 50 yards for a full magazine..It is my big game rifle for little varmints in 22 short, long and long rifle caliber...

I put the first coat of finish on the stock today, need to rust blue it, checker it pretty fancy and shoot some of our mean a$$ Idaho rabbits, known to charge at the drop of a hat, but now I am ready for them with 15 back up shots.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray:

Glad to see you are still alive and kicking.

That Winnie Model 63 sounds like a cool rifle, it might be just a hair light for Brown Bear though. Wink

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com