Notify
Tools

Rem Model 7 SS in .308
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all

I am on the verge of buying a Remington Model 7 Stainless Syn in .308 and wondered if anyone could advise me on their experiences of this particular model. Are they accurate and how do they handle etc ?

I have 2 Remingtons already in 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Rem Mag and both shoot consistent sub .5 moa groups and i am a real fan. Just wondered how the model 7 compares.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
Dear all

I am on the verge of buying a Remington Model 7 Stainless Syn in .308 and wondered if anyone could advise me on their experiences of this particular model. Are they accurate and how do they handle etc ?

I have 2 Remingtons already in 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Rem Mag and both shoot consistent sub .5 moa groups and i am a real fan. Just wondered how the model 7 compares.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

It will be a very nice addition to your collection. Very nice to carry in the woods all day and very accurate. Most of the time I can get 1" to 1.25" groups but my son gets .75" groups easily with the same rifle. Has been a very reliable rifle.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I own one, it shoots about 1 1/2" at 100 yds, not a bad gun

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heritage Arms:
I own one, it shoots about 1 1/2" at 100 yds, not a bad gun

Not a bad gun, to me pretty well describes the Model 7's.....But there are better to be had.
A Kimber 84M is as light or lighter and every Kimber I've had has shot a lot better than every Model 7 I've had. The 7's don't seem to shoot near as well as the 700's. Rebarreling them can make them into tackdrivers and that's the way to go if you want an accurate Model 7. Otherwise try another like a Tikka, Savage, Kimber, Steyr or Winchester..........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a stainless Model 7 in 243 (so not an exact match, but close). I put mine in a walnut stock, looks great. (That factory synthetic stock didn't do much for me...)

It is a delight to carry, and shoots sub-MOA easily. (I was actually surprised at how well it shot, with that lightweight barrel. I expected a bit "bigger", but it has no problem holding sub-MOA.)

I would think that that set up in 308 actually makes a bit more sense than my 243, for deer at least. My goal now is to find one in 7mm-08, 260 Rem, or 308. If I find one at a fair price, I'm gonna grab it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with 7 different 308 Rem Mod 7's. Including one of the new stainless ones. All of them shoot very well. I have shot 3 of them to 600 yards on paper. The others have all been shot to 300 yards on paper. ALL of them have been very accurate with several different loads.
To shoot good groups off the bench they must be held tight/hard, to keep the recoil movement consistant. The same is true for any fairly light or hard kicking rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has one thats blued with laminate stock.
I have not shot it, but he is an honest man and tells me it shoots groups as small as 0.75MOA but typically does 1 to 1.25MOA, with factory ammo.

I think they're nice smaller guns. They remind me of Tikka T3's, which I do own.
Ever handled a T3? They're very nice guns for the price. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thankyou for the feedback and some very interesting comments to consider.

Fumbler i do rate the T3 - we have 3 in the family and all shoot sub .5 moa aswell. I bought my father a .270 and it is producing v tight clover leafs (almost one holing) at its best. I think the T3 is probably a slightly better designed rifle but i really like the looks of Remingtons.

Anyway once again thanks all for the feedback.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of barefootarkie
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem7 .308 that I put in an alum. bed HS Precision stock. With 168gr Combined Technology bullets pushed with 46gs. of Varget, it's just short of awesome.

...read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and I learned much from both of their styles. (J.B.)

Posts: 51 | Location: Redfield,Ar | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Jon,

I have a model 7 in 260. Its a stainless/synthetic. If I had to make the decision again I would go with the laminated stock as I believe the synthetic ones are too soft and don't hold the rifle/action firmly which results in poor accuracy.

Otherwise it is a dream to carry all day and I have just got back from a 3 day hunt in some pretty heavy alpine country. Would just like to be a little more confident with the accuracy.

We all know its not the calibre

Happy hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one for hunting blacktails in western Washington's dripping tree farms. I didn't scope it because the previous owner put Ashley peep sights on it and it held 1.5 MOA until the front action screw shot loose, which took about 15 rounds. Then groups would string horizontally to 4 MOA. When I tightened the screw groups closed up again. The stock was a POS but was shaped just right for fast shots with those sights, which are taller than most other peeps but lower than a scope. Also, the bolt handle was shaped perfectly for fast shooting.

Muzzle blast ruined it for me -- the 308 is so loud in an 18" barrel that I sold it to preserve what little of my hearing remains.

If I were to specialize in hunting forest deer, an M-7 in 308 with Ashley sights would be high on my list. I'd add a 22" barrel, the MacMillan stock that matches the factory stock's shape, a Sako extractor and an aftermarket trigger. Then I'd have a solid iron sight rilfe that carried and handled like a 30-30.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that has held me back on getting a Model 7 in a 7mm-08, is the model 7. Remington really could do a better job with these rifles, particulaly the stock. Jez, even from the custom shop its still a laminate. My other concern is with Remingtons, is they do them usually two ways: real well, or real crap.

I have often wondered if I wouldn't be happier just getting a short action 700, and putting a rifle together right, or getting a beat up model 7, rechambering it with a good custom barrel, a new trigger, and put a decent stock on it.

I have been on the verge a couple of times of buying one, and figured if I was real unhappy with it I had the parts I wanted to work with a new Model 7 action ( which aren't cheap).

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote