Find
Notify
Tools

cz 6.5x55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? I believe it is offered in both Mannlicher style and regular stock configuration. Considering it as a possible entree for my wife into shooting.

While we're at it, how is this thing loaded; still using long, parallel sided bullets at moderate velocities?

Thanks!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've a the full stock model for awhile now. typical of what i see in cz's the exterior finish is much better than what you see inside. good serviceable rifle but i hate the backwards safety. The single set trigger i love and it shoots into about 1.25" at 100. never tried the old bullets, always shot noslers through it. i did a bunch of polishing on the action and bolt before it smoothed out. Not much to doing it, just sit around the tv and hand polish for a night or 2. should be an excellent rifle for a woman. light recoil and very adequate killing power

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Gents:

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? I believe it is offered in both Mannlicher style and regular stock configuration. Considering it as a possible entree for my wife into shooting.

While we're at it, how is this thing loaded; still using long, parallel sided bullets at moderate velocities?

Thanks!

For the money CZ builds a nice rifle.

Excellent caliber, great accuracy, low recoil, high killing efficiency.

As to loads in the 6.5x55--anywhere from 85 to 160, with the 140,130 and 120's being the current favorites.

Mine shoots best with 160's and 142's but the 100's group very well.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by butchloc:
i did a bunch of polishing on the action and bolt before it smoothed out. Not much to doing it, just sit around the tv and hand polish for a night or 2. QUOTE]
popcornMy experience exactly! EekerAlot of honing and stoning.Gauled real bad before that. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Full Stock 6.5x55mm, set trigger. Action is fine, safety is backwards, shoots clover leafs at 100m with ease. The European stock has a 'hump' that is nice for open sights, a little low with the CZ base/rings for consistent cheek position.

All that said, it is a keeper. So is the 7x57....

Posts: 23 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Gents:

Thanks!

IMO the best all-round hunting load for this cartridge is the 140-grain spitzer bullet at 2600-2800 FPS. This delivers performance downrange out of all proportion to the little cartridge. I have had good results on deer with the Sierra Gameking. I use Nosler Partitions of the same weight for heavier game.

The new Nosler 130-grain Accubond should prove very interesting in this caliber. With this bullet, you could come close to the performance of the same weight bullet in the 270 Win, and use less powder to do so.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My local store has one in the rack. Seems like it is well made, but also seemed pretty heavy in the hands.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a f/s in 6.5, love it!
Honing bolt/polishing bolt is a routine operation on CZ's, but time well spent

I never attempted to find the "ultimate" load.
As soon as it averaged around 1" at 100 yds I called it good!

I use 140 gr. Hornady, or the 160gr. round nose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the European Hunting section of the Forum and I think you'll soon be convinced that this is a well appreciated cartridge...

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ550 in 6.5x55 and I love it! It is the American stocked version, not the full stock. The safety on mine is not backwards.

This rifle is very consistent and digests a variety of bullets and powders with good results. I settled on RL19 and 130gr accubonds...worked great on antelope in Wyoming last fall!!

I think the CZ's are a bargain for the money...

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is there any practical difference in noise between the 23 inch barrel and the 20 inch carbine?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have the American version, which has a normal safety. Rifle is a little heavy, stock is a hair "chunky", but feels good. Accuracy is great with 120 and 129 grain bullets easily going under 1". Recoil is a non issue. Cant compare muzzle blast, but on the 23", it is not objectionable.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fantastic round... great inherint accuracy (if there is such a thing), no recoil, great sd/penetration with 130 plus grained boolits, and a good long history (nostalgia counts with me).

fantastic gun... bought a cz 9.3 to replace my remington 35 whelen, liked it so much, I then bought a 404 and 6.5x55 in cz's. Really all I have left excluding a 300 weatherby and the remy 35 whelen (couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on the CZ other than to say that the 527 I have in 223 is the sweetest rifle i've owned...

BUT... when I finally shot out the barrel of my Ruger 77MkII in 270 (several thousand rounds) I replaced it with a PAC-NOR super match chambered for the Swede.

Very, very happy camper.... kills like lightning (I reckon it's better than the 270 out to 300) and as far as accuracy goes, it's a real sweetheart - using a bipod at 300, and shooting at the rate of about one shot per minute, (our local 'F' Class) 50 shots into a 3" circle isn't bad for a hunting profile barrel.

Doing that with the 270 would leave me with a major headache...

And I haven't done any serious load work ups yet...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote