New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 MKII
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a Ruger M77 today. It is a used gun that is chambered in 30-06. The unusal thing is that this gun has the same set up as the Ruger RSM 77's. Banded front site, quarter rib, etc. I wasn't aware of Ruger making this model configuation. I checked the web site and didn't find it. Has anyone else seen this??

Maineguide1

Posts: 75 | Location: Dover NH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger has done a limited run of these in the past. I had one in 300 WM but I didn't like the quarter rib on this rifle because high rings had to be used on a 40mm or so scope.
Anyway here's an interesting article on the rifle.

Ruger 30-06 Express

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1998 and 2001 catalog that shows a Express rifle in 270,30-06 etc. should have Circassian walnut and a ebony tip Quarter rib bands ...Someone could have put a regular stock on your...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maineguide1,

You found one of the Ruger M77 Express rifles. These were the "little brothers" to the Ruger M77 Magnums. Ruger has discontinued the Express rifles. I don't know the exact year they stopped making them. When they were available, I saw retail prices (here in Houston) of around $995.00.

The Express used the standard-length action and was chambered in .270 Win, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Win Mag. Quote from Ruger's 1999 catalog: "The Ruger Express Rifle is built with a standard-length Ruger 77 Mark II action. The Ruger Magnum Rifle is based on a special receiver and bolt that are approximately 7/16" longer than a standard .30-06 length." The Express rifle had the Circassian walnut stock and the integral quarter rib just like the Magnum models. There was one standing blade and one folding blade on the rear sight. The Magnum model uses the longer magnum-length action and is chambered in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott. It also has the Circassian walnut stock and integral quarter rib. There is one standing blade and two folding blades on the rear sight

Example of the M77 Mark II Magnum (M77RSM MKII):

*** Notice that this one has the cross bolt in the stock. ***
1999 Ruger catalog suggested retail price: $1620.00

Example of the M77 Mark II Express (M77RSEXP MKII):

*** Notice the absence of the cross bolt in the stock. ***
1999 Ruger catalog suggested retail price: $1550.00

Description from the Ruger web site back when they were available (I saved the info):

Ruger Express Rifle M77RSEXP MkII
Caliber: .270, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag

Magazine Capacity; 4 rounds Standard Calibers
Magazine Capacity; 3 rounds Magnum Calibers

Barrel Length; 22" Standard Calibers
Barrel Length; 24" Magnum Calibers

Stock: Circassian Walnut
Receiver: Blue
Safety: 3 Position Safety
Sights: Front:Blade -- Rear:V-Notch, 1 stationary, 1 Folding
Weight: 7lbs 8oz

Both the Express and the Magnum share features normally found only on custom rifles. The barrel and sighting rib are painstakingly machined from a single bar of steel - a luxury detail found only on these Ruger bolt-actions. The solid rib incorporates folding-leaf express sights, ruggedly dependable in their own right or as a practical backup to an optical sighting system. Both rifles are factory-machined to accept Ruger steel scope rings.
The Circassian walnut stock, traditionally contoured and handsomely checkered, is a feature associated with only the best-quality rifles. Timeless beauty, superb refinements, and exceptional features make this rifle hard to duplicate at twice the price!

Hope this helps,
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's the Express Model. You lucky dog, if you get tired of it................

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, I love this board. You guys are great. Thanks for the help.

Maineguide1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maineguide1,

So did you buy it? Thinking about buying it?

(I wasn't sure from your original post if you bought it or just saw it while browsing a gun store and you wondered what it was.)

Just curious.....
-Bob F. Smiler

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Too bad they stopped making it, I always thought it was one of the classier rifles available for a production rifle.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .338 WM and it is one of my best shooting guns. Been to Africa seven times. Really sweet rifles.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeh, I bought it. I had put a hold on it until I researched it and you guys talked me into it, oh well. I'll need it for Africa next August.

Maineguide1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maineguide1,

Good deal!! Congrats! thumb I think you're going to like it.

Regards,
-Bob F. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I picked up the gun yesterday. Man, what a sweet rifle. I plan to fire this week. It is a perfect addition to my Ruger .375 and I'll be taking both to Africa next year. I'll trade off with my son depending on what were out for.

Thanks again for the help,guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, how much did it go for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $1025.00 for it, and it is worth it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked one up used in 270 a year ago for it's looks and paid about $950. Mine misfired quite often until I turned the firing pin shoulder some for greater protrusion.

Mine is a push feed Red Face and I am not sure if I am going to do anything about it.

A member here did a really nice job milling the bolt face and now his is a CRF.

I find the rifle a little heavy but sweet to look at.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote