THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Federal's 30-06 130 Gr TSX 3400 fps

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal's 30-06 130 Gr TSX 3400 fps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Federal has a 30-06 load that pushes a 130 Gr Barnes Triple Shock at 3400 fps.

- Anyone have any experience with this round?
- Suppose I buy a 30-06 and doesn't 'like' this load - is there anything that can be done to optimize the rifle for a particular load?

Hunter308

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter308:
- Suppose I buy a 30-06 and doesn't 'like' this load - is there anything that can be done to optimize the rifle for a particular load?

In general it is a bit of a gamble. If you get your own barrel installed, you can control chamber dimensions and twist rate. But there is no guarantee that a particular bullet - let alone a particular load - will shoot in your rifle. I'll claim that the stiffer (heavier) your barrel is, the better the chance, though.

I have no personal experience with them, but in theory adjustable barrel resonance systems (such as the "Boss" found on some Browning and Winchester rifles) might allow you to "tune" your barrel to a particular load. How effective this is in reality, I don't know.

The good news is that Barnes TSX have shot well in by far the most of the rifles I have tried them.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a 'rubber collar' type barrel tuning device for sale. You slide it up and down the barrel until you get the accuracy you want

Browning/Winchester's BOSS system is a similar barel tuning device.

I shoot the 130gr Barnes TSX out of my 270 at 3,150fps. Works great on Elk.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Limbsaver makes the rubber collar k-22 is talking about. They make a regular barrel and bull barrel size and each size cost about 10 USD. They work I have and do use them, but IMHO they are ugly. Each gun has its own mind about what it will shoot.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 130gr load in a 30-06 only makes sense to me if it's the only rifle you have, and you're looking to stretch it's utility. A 130gr bullet is more appropriate in a 270 Weatherby, 270 WSM, 270 Win...somewhere in that caliber range.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 130gr load in a 30-06 only makes sense to me if it's the only rifle you have, and you're looking to stretch it's

A 130gr TSX will neatly kill any deer and i'd bet it will kill a lot more animal than that. With 95 to 100% weight retention it will fare far better than most convention cup and core bullets up to 180grs.... bewildered

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgulla:
quote:
A 130gr load in a 30-06 only makes sense to me if it's the only rifle you have, and you're looking to stretch it's

A 130gr TSX will neatly kill any deer and i'd bet it will kill a lot more animal than that. With 95 to 100% weight retention it will fare far better than most convention cup and core bullets up to 180grs.... bewildered

What is the BC though?

I just checked Barnes' site. W/a BC of just .340 that bullet is going to shed velocity FAST & not carry a lot of downrange energy regardless of "weight retention..

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter308,

Yes, I've used the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX's in my Blaser R93 .30/06 Sprg. & 300 Weatherby Magnum for a couple of months last year with optimal results on 2 Red Deer Stags, several Hinds, Calves, Roe Deer & a coupla (mid-sized) Piggies using a stiff load of AA-4350. Yeah, same bullet & cartridge but not the Federal factory ammo.

As for your rifle not "preferring" the factory ammo I'd suggest giving your tube a good scrub (the "whole" treatment) foam, CLP's, brushes in various formats so it's squeaky clean prior to firing monometals. In my experience this assists in optimizing accuracy potential straight off the bat.

Like "w-junkie" mentions they're not exactly optimal in the BC department although from a .30/06 Sprg. & the 300 Witherbee the initial velocity is definately in the Warp-Factor department, although I never got around to putting the loads over the screens, too busy hunting.

On the other hand the monometal construction affords a bullets size pretty close to that of a vanilla-flavored 150 gr. .308" bullet; so all's not lost.

The Red Deer Stags, Hinds & Calves were test media for the 300 Witherbee. Not quite Elk sized but large Deer nevertheless. I pinged both of the Stags, range was 206 & 215 meters. The results were pretty impressive if you're not into tracking Deer - DRT!. Neither Stag twitched, just dropped like they got struck by a bolt of lightning; same as when they get whacked with a 165 or 180 Swift or Nosler outa the Witherbee at that range.

For the remainder of the victims the .30/06 Sprg. was used; most did the "I just got Zapped routine", laid down & expired or wobbled around & staggered a coupla a steps prior to giving up the ghost. All-in-All solid performance but nowhere near as catastrophic as the 300 Witherbee.

Like all Barnes monometals they hold their weight very well since on both Stags neither bullet exited, I couldn't manage to locate one and the other was under the off-side shoulder appearing like the proverbial Barnes advertisement. The rest are orbiting in Never-Never Land.

It was a fun "test" (didn't ask my "test" media) but I'm back to my standard 165 gr. Nosler Partitions in the .30/06 Sprg. and 180's Swift Scirocco II's in the 300 Weatherby as I prefer more mass and 100% exit wounds.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the info. What I liked about the 130 gr in the 3006 is the muzzle vel of 3400 fps... didn't realize the downrange energy would peter out though...I need to read up on Ballistic Coefficients. Thx

Hunter 308

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I liked about the 130 gr in the 3006 is the muzzle vel of 3400 fps
In that case, by all means avoid getting them anywhere close to a chronograph.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to Federal's website, the 30/06 TTSX load listed at 3400fps is actually a 110gr bullet, not 130gr. There is no 130gr TTSX or TSX loading listed,

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:

According to Federal's website, the 30/06 TTSX load listed at 3400fps is actually a 110gr bullet, not 130gr. There is no 130gr TTSX or TSX loading listed,
That sounds a bit more reasonable.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to all for the info. What I liked about the 130 gr in the 3006 is the muzzle vel of 3400 fps... didn't realize the downrange energy would peter out though...I need to read up on Ballistic Coefficients. Thx

Hunter 308

Read up, but please don't get hung up on it. You'll find many a person here takes 700 yard shots in gale force winds over vastly changing temperatures, thus requiring beyond match quality bullets. And of course, all their guns shoot 1/8MOA of they get traded off for shooting like trash.

Unless you are launching extremely large diameter bullets in all complete honesty, the whole BC thing doesn't even mean squat until you start pushing the 350-400 yard and beyond range. Also don't get caught up in SD (sectional density) of bullets either, a super soft 180gr 30-06 bullet may not make it through a piece of plywood but that tiny 110gr might zip through a deer like it wasn't even there. Use reasonable judgement.

And yes, its a 110gr bullet. They make 130 in TSX and TTSX, and load the TTSX in the 300 Wby/Win/WSM but not the 30-06, not sure why. I WOULD love to see that 110gr in a 300 Wby just a few times lol Could be the first commercial big game load to eclipse the 204 Ruger's speed LOL

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote