New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much brass to hord?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 350 Rem Mag and currently have 500 new cases,200 factory rounds and approx 100 cases in various stages of life. How much is too much when a cartridge is basically obsolite from the factory. I am asking because there is more brass for sale in the classified section and I can not bring myself to buy it. Someone beat me to it so I do not feel so bad!

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would think it depends on how much you shoot it? If you get (10) firings a case, you can do the math, I would think you are probably fine w/ your 500 (5000 rounds?). I have 120 for my 7mm Dakota. The brass is good, I have some fired (8) times & they still look good. If you find a great deal on brass, but it, you can always sell it after you've shot your barrel out?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
How are you going to feel when you run out?
Answer: Make sure you don't!

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There may be a point in time when it's hard to get, but will the barrel still be good? I have a 6mm-284, and at the rate I shoot it, the 220 cases I have should be enough. Next time I'll probably consider a 243 AI or 6mm AI anyway, or possibly the 6.5 mm Magnum, which seems like an intriguing round.

Tom

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can always make cases out of any of the other belted magnums such as the .458 WinMag....trim them a bit then neck them down and re-trim to the correct length. You will probably need to ream the insides of the necks to thin the brass a bit but it isn't that hard to do.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hayes - I'm betting brass life for this rifle isn't very good. If you plan on keeping the thing, I think you'd be wise to have more cases.

I feel about hoarding brass about like we used to joke with airplanes, i.e. "The only time you can have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire." [Eek!]

I still hoard brass for rifles and pistols I no longer own...but it's probably a sickness with me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got about 80 unused (primed) cases that I don't need. Let me know if you're interested.
stutzenrifles@aol.com

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you set your dies to only bump the shoulder back about 2/1000" the brass doesn't get worked to much. When I had mine I used to anneal every 5th loading and brass lasted forever.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote