THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    9.3X64 How many down in a standard mauser action?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3X64 How many down in a standard mauser action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a VX24 action that is just begging to be built into a heavy/medium bore. Considering the 9.3x64 among a number of options. Can you get 4 down with this cartridge without having to use an expensive aftermarket bottom metal.
Thanks for your help.
Jeff Collins

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
no ..
3+1 max

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deleted Double Post

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I am a bit confused though, I thought I remembered you saying that you could get 4 down with the 376 Steyer. Isn't that the same case head and dimensions as this one? Did you make a new floorplate or am I just mistaken?

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.I get 4 down in mine but it,s problematic ,, 3 works best ..MarkX interarms mauser ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get 4 down in mine but it,s problematic ,, 3 works best ..MarkX interarms mauser

I've found the my MKXs seem to have a touch more space than several of my M98. I've found in playing with my wildcat case the shoulder dia and location has more of an impact that the head size. The 376 is a shorter case and the shoulder will be in a wider area of the box. My case has a .458 shoulder at 2.17" In an unaltered MKX I might be able to jamb 5 round in but there is a good chance it will not feed. I normally load 4 or if I really think I need a 5th I drop it in the chamber and force the extractor over the rim.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A good friend is having a 9.3x64 built on a VZ.24 with a Recknagel five round magazine box.
They also make a six round box.
And yes these magazines are pricey .

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x64 in on a Zastava with 4 in the magazine, no problems with feeding.

Tasso

Posts: 70 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
........I really like my 9.3x64....I have a Boyd's laminate JRS style stock on it and a Burris Signature Select 1.5-6x40 E dot scope....on it .....With 250gr tsx and 68.5 gr RL15 I get 2750 fps from the 21 1/2" barrel ..........To me it is my all around rifle .....I,m going to duplicate it but with a Ruger M77mk2 action ........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need four or five dummy rounds to try to run through my action. P.M. me with the cost of brass, bullets and shipping.
jnc91

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jnc91,

just curious, why not just build a 9,3x62 and have 5 down?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problems with the 9.3x62, but the 9.3x64 just seems like more of a good thing. I can live with 4 down with the 9.3x64 but if I am limited to 3 down, I will definately go with the 9.3x62.

That is if I don't build a 35 Whelen or 338/06 instead.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
What's so wrong with 3 down?

Most of my magazines will hold 5 but I can't recall ever loading more than three and firing more than two.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
What's so wrong with 3 down?

Most of my magazines will hold 5 but I can't recall ever loading more than three and firing more than two.

Peace of mind....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have emptied 6 shots out of a Model 70 featherweight at hogs over sour corn. Got ready to go down to the ones I killed and looked up and the others were back. Loaded the last 4 rounds I had and got two more. Went down with my 40 S&W, and never went out again without two boxes ready to load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikethebear:
I have emptied 6 shots out of a Model 70 featherweight at hogs over sour corn. Got ready to go down to the ones I killed and looked up and the others were back. Loaded the last 4 rounds I had and got two more. Went down with my 40 S&W, and never went out again without two boxes ready to load.

Sounds like you need something beltfed.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I rebarreled a Czech Vz-24 Mauser from 8x57 to 9.3x62. Could get 5 down with the 8x57 - now I get 4 down with the 9.3x62.

PS: Also, my Vz-24 magazine limits the 9.3x62 OAL to 3.24" maximum. I think the specs say the 9.3x62 can be loaded out to 3.36".

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bump... anyone out there willing to part with a few dummy rounds?