New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk to me about the 375 ruger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even if it becomes a solitary source, Hornady .375R brass is good enough. Ran my first batch to death early on, got to 16 firings before incipient separations showed up. Primer pockets were still snug though, trimmed about every third firing. No loss of neck tension, no splits.

So now have a lifetime supply, in case the naysayers turn out to be correct. Won't matter to me. Cuz also put in a lifetime supply of bullets.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel_Hoggson:
Even if it becomes a solitary source, Hornady .375R brass is good enough. Ran my first batch to death early on, got to 16 firings before incipient separations showed up. Primer pockets were still snug though, trimmed about every third firing. No loss of neck tension, no splits.

So now have a lifetime supply, in case the naysayers turn out to be correct. Won't matter to me. Cuz also put in a lifetime supply of bullets.

I think braass wil always be there as I reckon a lot of blokes would have it as a 338/375 wildcat. I assume 416 Ruger brass is made is made and that would be a super simple neck down.

There are plenty of them in Australia but they have mainly been bought at the expense of the 338, not the 375 H&H.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Part of a cartridges success is measured by how many different factory ammo offerings are available. The 375 Ruger isnt a game changer and has a long way to go before it is as successful as the H&H.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
Factory ammo tells the tale.
If the 375 Ruger is so popular, why is Hornady the only company building factory ammo for it

I have some DoubleTap factory ammo here in 375 Ruger. Pretty near prairie dog accurate out of my rifle.

Never seen that stuff on a shelf anywhere. Where did you buy it?

There is a shop near St Louis that has some from time to time.
I’ve also bought direct from DoubleTap

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many years Western-Winchester was the single or most common source of 375 HH ammo.

Posts: 10845 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

I wonder how many years Western-Winchester was the single or most common source of 375 HH ammo.

I don't know but I don't think that is valid as support for the comparison to the H&H.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do. I see it as one and the same. I suspect that for a long time the only readily available ammo for the 375 HH was Western-Winchester. It made it just fine. The 375 Ruger through Hornady will survive the same.

Remington is not going to load 375 Ruger too niche. They are out of the Safari Game.

Olin will never through a Hornady naked cartridge to its line.

So what. Hornady ain’t going away. Most in this small market reload Hornady and Nosler/Norma will make brass. The bullets are the same.

Superior, or someone like them, and Quality Cartridge will always be there. If they are not then everything but 7.62 ball, 5.56, and 7.62x47 is all that will be around.

Posts: 10845 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone, myself included, has suggested the 375 Ruger will die.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not think you have. My point is the Ruger is less than 20 years old. The 375 HH was first loaded in the USA in 1932. We won’t live long enough to see it catch up. The head start is too big. There is a lot of ammo out there. Dies sold/rifles sold over that not yet 20 years compared to the other may tell better which is currently more popular than how many folks load ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think 375 H&H will remain number one by a big margin. Most big bores are bought by big bore enthusiasts and the 375 H&H just has that thing about it. Most big shooting is kangaroos, pigs, goats, deer, rocks, trees, tins of water of etc.

However, I think a far higher percentage of 375 Ruger sales are to blokes who buy them with specific big game to shoot.