THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    The "new" Browning BAR LongTrac????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "new" Browning BAR LongTrac????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone got one of these yet.

They're like a pound lighter. Was wondering if that was due to a different (lighter) barrel profile.

Im into BAR's. This one looks COOOOOOOL!!

Ant thoughts. I want one in .270 NOW!!! See pic/info

Posts: 53 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks a little too "European" to me but to each his own. I recently won a BLR .308 in a raffle and it is one SWEET gun to carry in the Wisconsin brush. Nice and compact when making drives and the short barrel doesn't catch on low tree branchs when slung over your shoulder-----now if it was just an automatic!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bump

Well??

Anyone got one. What do you think of them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:

I wouldn't give a cup full of tabacco spit for one.

Todd

Why?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
I have owned many BAR's and my only gripe was weight related. This thing cannot hold a candle to it in fit,finish quality of components. Plastic triggerguard and group . Standarized rate of twist.ie 1-10 twist for a 7 rem mag. This is the 710 of Autoloaders and only a notch above a 7400 but just barely.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glocks are plastic. Cant see that being an issue. Just wondered if they group and run as well as the Safari II, which are arguably, the best hunting autoloading rifle ever made. IMHO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SempreElk:
I have owned many BAR's and my only gripe was weight related. This thing cannot hold a candle to it in fit,finish quality of components. Plastic triggerguard and group . Standarized rate of twist.ie 1-10 twist for a 7 rem mag. This is the 710 of Autoloaders and only a notch above a 7400 but just barely.

Hey "Sempre", It's not "plastic", it's "Composite" lol

Couldn't agree more on this gun. My store sells em and I've already had to work on a few that wouldn't feed right. One magazine kept falling out. The QC on them is pitiful, as is the workmanship. They saved weight by going to aluminum castings & plastic parts. Which, only coincidentally, saved them a bunch of production costs Smiler. The earlier BAR's were IMO the best of the "spray-n-prays". The old Win 100's weren't too bad, if you absolutely must use an auto. Haven't had a chance to evaluate the Benellis yet.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
The earlier BAR's were IMO the best of the "spray-n-prays". The old Win 100's weren't too bad, if you absolutely must use an auto. Haven't had a chance to evaluate the Benellis yet.

Oh yeah I meant to say it's trigger group is made of "Plasticized Composite" Wink I think the Benellis I have seen are a cut above all of them and I like the take down feature. Even seen some with a pretty stock on them. That would be my route if I were to buy another semi-auto I have owned 1/2 dozen of the old BAR's and never had one minute of trouble with any.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I will stick with my BAR II for now *gulp*.

It looks the same as the Win (which I have never seen)
Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was trying to find a review in some magazine on the new Longtrac. I guess Browning bought all those that were ever printed so the truth could never come out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just found a review of the ShortTrac BAR in .270WSM.

Considering all the bad press it got in this little thread I thought I had better cut'n'paste the test part of the article.

From Riflemagazine Nov 2005 #222 issue.

"For the shooting tests, I used the Lead Sled, which is available through MidwayUSA. While the recoil factor on the .270 WSM may be of concern to a few hunters, that was not the purpose of the Lead Sled. Aside from keeping the apparent recoil from reaching your shoulder, the sled cradles the gun so you can get the best out of it. Granted, strong recoil can ruin the oncentration of the best shooter, so in this way I was testing the rifle and not myself.

Like the BAR, I had no trouble getting the ShortTrac to shoot, and in part I think it’s because the rifle is self-feeding. Unlike a bolt gun that you have to move to lift the bolt, eject the case, load and get back into position, the ShortTrac just needed another pull of the trigger to launch another round downrange. Velocities were all over 3,100 fps, and the average of all the groups was 1.2 inches. Handloads could shrink that number to under an inch.

At the range I put the rifle through its paces by firing off as many rounds as I could, as fast as I could, until I finished a 20-round box. The rifle never balked, and ejection was extremely positive without any malfunctions. I found the ShortTrac easy to shoot and quite accurate. With conventional cartridges, the rifle is perfect; with the Winchester Short Magnums, it will find a place in the hearts of hunters who want a versatile field rifle.

130 Winchester Ballistic Silvertip FPS 3,275 Group size 1.25
140 Winchester AccuBond 3,200,1.00
140 Winchester Fail Safe 3,125, 1.00
150 Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 3,120, 1.50
150 Winchester Power-Point 3,150, 1.25"

There you have it. I spoke with a guy at a gun show recently who bought the LongTrac in .270 and he said it groups 1- 1.5" with good factory ammo and has no problems with it.

At the same gun show I was told by the Browning Importer that the Winshester are made in the Browning factory. Not the other way around. Makes sense as Winchester dont really exist anymore do they?

FYI.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old BAR stainless stalker in .270 and it is a dependable accurate rifle. (1" with Win factory at 100yds)

It has never jammed or misfed in any way.

I purchased a short trac in .308 a year ago. It is a POS. It will not shoot less than 2" regardless of load development. It jams all the time with factory loads or handloads. I would really like it to shoot, I actually like the looks of it. It is light and handles well, and although 2" for a rifle that won't see action past 150 yds is probably tolerable, I don't like it, and the fact that it jams mean I will try like hell to trade it this season, but it would never make it to the field with me.

Just FYI real world experience

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have(had) a BAR Safari in 300WSM/BOSS. It shoots amazingly well. I gave it to my son about a year ago so I replaced it with a ShortTrac in 300WSM. What a piece of shit! Although it has never jammed or failed to feed, it shoots for crap. I have tried every .308 bullet I can think of from 150gr to 200gr and about 10 different powders. The best this POS will do is an occasional non repeatable 1 1/2 inch group.
I called Browning and asked what they considered acceptable accuracy from a 300WSM ShortTrac. I was told 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards should be no problem. I explained that 1 1/2 inch groups were not possible and I was very disappointed in this POS. I was asked to send it back to Browning for repairs.
Maybe I'm just a cynical old fart, but I'm not expecting anything positive from Browning on this one.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was asked to send it back to Browning for repairs.
Maybe I'm just a cynical old fart, but I'm not expecting anything positive from Browning on this one.

Steve, I ain't that old, but I am so cynical that I elected not to go through the bullshit of sending it back to Browning, I figure they'll keep it for 4 months, and I'll get it back with it being exactly the same--I've had that experience with them before!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:

Steve, I ain't that old, but I am so cynical that I elected not to go through the bullshit of sending it back to Browning, I figure they'll keep it for 4 months, and I'll get it back with it being exactly the same--I've had that experience with them before!

I agree! When my rifle comes back from Browning I expect a couple pieces of paper with 3 shot groups fired at 50 yards that are 1 to 1 1/2 inches. On these pieces of paper will be a hand written note describing the factory ammo that was used. That's it, no other details or repairs, just the 3MOA targets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Steve, I think that will be the case.

Good luck in the face of the stupidity--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try one. I have heard varying stories? Not selling the old one until its proven that new one shoots as well as [the old].

I find it hard to believe they would lie whilst reviewing the new ShortTrac. Go figure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by p67:
I'm going to try one. I have heard varying stories? Not selling the old one until its proven that new one shoots as well as [the old].

[QUOTE]

If you want a lightly used .308 PM me, I'll make you a good deal!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't live in the US bud, otherwise I would.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found an article on the net [review] about one in 30-06.

Browning’s LongTrac .30-06 Semiauto

And I own one now in .270. Will put some shots downrange and post the results.

Fundamentally the internals are pretty much the same. Hard to believe it wont shot. Perhaps the bad experiences posted here are the extreme minority.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the Benelli R1?

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Further ammo for the non-believers.

my Barnes Tripple shocks 270cal 110TSX post

I will post some more results over the next few months. My new BAR operates well so far. Appears to shot okay too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the naysayers.

Pic of new rig and preliminary testing group. Scope is a Swaro 3-12x50

MOA 3 shot group using my old recipe [for previous BAR's]. 59.5g H4831sc, 130gn Interlock.

Ive test it so far with about 50rnds. Flawless operation.

It shoots!.

Proof.

One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p67:
To the naysayers.

Pic of new rig and preliminary testing group. Scope is a Swaro 3-12x50

MOA 3 shot group using my old recipe [for previous BAR's]. 59.5g H4831sc, 130gn Interlock.

Ive test it so far with about 50rnds. Flawless operation.

It shoots!.

Proof.

Nice but Benelli R1 is the semi auto to go for.

Hunting is a lifestyle more than anything else. http://www.artemis-hunting.com/

Posts: 199 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
What about the Benelli R1?

It is the best semi auto ever produced. After 5 years in 30-06 works well.

Hunting is a lifestyle more than anything else. http://www.artemis-hunting.com/

Posts: 199 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Benelli R1

Don't see much of them in NZ. Look like a nice piece of gear.

The main reason I switched to the new LongTrac from the Safari was the weight saving. I see the R1 is listed at 7.2lbs. Not bad.

If they OR Browning made one in a 6.5mm cal or 7mm-08 I would by one. Dont have much need for those big calibres over here IMHO.

Certainly the gas system on the R1 appears well thought out. The ability to clean the barrel from the breach end is a +.

If you google "benelli r1 or BAR" you will find lots of opinions.

Few links to the R1.
Benelli R1

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Those R1 hurt my eyes they are so ugly

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i couldn't find the R1 on Benelli's site, is it the same as Argo?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was doing some load developement work this morning at 240yards (I know its an odd number but its what I have set up). Using this BAR Lontrac (above).

After playing around with Seirra 130gn and trying to Audette method, I got out 5 of my usual hunting loads. 130gn Hornady interlocks. 59,5gn 2213SC powder.

Shot a 5 shot 2.0" group on a fouled barrel (first shot may have been affected). Was a stiff breeze coming from 11oclock as well!.

Tell me again they dont shoot okay?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P67 what does your rifle weight as pictured?

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote