THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    PA Wildcatter... About Your 338 WSM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PA Wildcatter... About Your 338 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
Hi. I currently have a 300 WSM on the Winchester SA... I can seat bullets out to just over 3.00". I saw on another post that you built a 338 WSM... as I might re-barrel the 300 when the 338 version comes out, I had a few questions for you:

What is your cartridge OAL?

What velocities/barrel-length/twist, etc?

How many grooves in the barrel?

Who did the job for you?

What powders and bullets have you worked with?

Thanks!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

My current load is:

Win Brass
Fed 215 Primer
67.8gr H4831SC
180gr Bal Tip

COL = 71mm

Shoots sub-MOA all the time.

remember, mine's on a 700 Magnum receiver so I can go to ~4" if I had to.

Have yet to chrono that load. I'm hoping/guessing ~3000fps.

Barrel is a 27" Pac-Nor Super Match.

1-10"

5 Groove.

As for loads, I went to www.hodgdons.com, went to the 300WSM loads, and picked the laods between the min and max.

I've used H414, H380, W760, & H4831SC.

All with varying charges (just follow what I did above) and all shot to the same point of impact. All are sub-MOA.

The 67.8grs of H4831SC is a little tighter than the rest.

My gunsmith Brendan Wall did the work. he's located in Port Jervis, NY. E-mail me and I'll give you his #.

I'm a moderator on a "reloading only" site and a few guys have sent their guns to him and the are as happy as I am.

Hope that this helps.

You can get me at mhaydu@mercurylink.net or mnh@merrimcaind.com.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Mark, thanks for the information... sounds great!

I've owned several 338 Win Mag's and a 338-06... obviously I'm a fan of the 33 bore! Rumor has it Olin is debating the final dimensions of the 338 WSM... I've heard they're concerned that it have enough neck to hold heavy beullets... go figure! Regardless, I'm pretty sure at some point I'll re-barrel my 300 WSM to a 338 WSM (Pac-Nor)... with a 22" barrel it should be the cat's-meow on elk and the like!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark...if Winchester can truly get almost 3000 fps with the 180gr in the .300WSM (24") you should be doing a lot better than that with a .338 and 27" barrel.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB:

I never chronoed the load.

The charge is middle of the road for a 300 WSM using the H4831SC.

I'm guessing with the 27" barrel I should be close to 3100 or perhaps more.

One of these days I'll chrono the thing.

I'll post that info.

Right now it's out having its feeder rails and the magazine re-worked.

I screwed up the rails and for some odd reason the Sendaro magazine & stock is only holding 2 rounds.

The SF Sendaro 300 Ultra that I just got rid of held 3 rounds. Strange.

Brad:

I seem to be turning into a 338 type person myself.

338 WSM (Rem 700)
338-06 ( pre 64 Model 70)
338-8mm Rem Mag (A-Square custom)
338 Win Mag (Ruger 77)

And perhaps a 338-08 AI if I don't trade my 700 LSS Mountain Rifle, in 7mm-08, I'll rebarrel to the 338-08 AI.

My .02, get the barrel now. The 300 WSM Parent cartridge works well for the 180s and the 200s (Bal Tips that is). Brass is abundant and Redding makes the dies.

I'd be really surprised if the 338 WSM (factory offering) is dimentioned differently than my 338-300 WSM.

------------------

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark... Olin may in fact change the dimensions. They had a major goof-up with the 7mm/270 WSM and had to change the dimensions on one so it wouldn't chamber in the other... they had originally NOT planned on a 270 version, but someone got the bright idea, and as a result the 338 has been delayed while they fix the 270/7mm mess.

Regardeless, if the do change it, you could always have your barrel set back and rechambered if you wanted a factory standard.

I've always thought the 338-08 sounded like a worthwhile round in a light carbine... especially for "big woods" hunting like in Maine. Personally I wouldn't mess with the AI version as it's sort of duplicates your 338-06... that, of course, is my personal predjudice.

Man you've got a few 33's!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Interesting.

I did not know that - hmmmm . . . .

But now that you have stated it, I can see it happening.

I thought about doing a 270-300 WSM, but changed my mind.

I'll stick with the 338-300 WSM and forego the eventual factory issue cartridge.

Only a few 338s in the safes.

Don't know if the 338-08 AI will happen. I have the "base gun" up for sale/swap and I'm talking with an individual about my gun for a CZ550 in 375 H&H - which if it happens will become either a H&H AI, Wby or even a RUM.

We'll see.

If the CZ doesn't happen, I'll do the 338-08AI.

------------------

Regards,

Mark

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Hi PA.

I have a 375 (Win 70 stainless) in the safe right now. I had the barrel shortened to 22" and the front sight re-attatched. I like that barrel length on a 375 as it truly doesn't need much more (bore vs. case capacity).

How about you? What length do you want on yours?

Right now I'm itching for another stainless 338... I've had them in Ruger's, Remington's and Winchester's. The Remington was the only sub-moa shooter. I'll be picking up another Win 70 shortly. My last Winchester had a weird chamber... probably at the very end of the reamer's life... RCBS even made-up (gratis) a special set of dies to re-size my brass small-enough to fit the chamber. The roifle was a bizzare and erratic shooter so it went down the road... life doesn't seem "normal" without a 338 Win Mag... it and the 308 Win are probably my favorite cartridges!

"Hunter's Rounds" both!

Brad

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
PA, I hope you get alot better than 3000 with the 180 BT. I shoot a 338-06 that fast with the 180 BT in a 24" barrel. Good Luck

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I hope you can better than 3000 with the 180 BT. I'm getting that with the 338-06 in a 24 " barrel. Good shooting

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Looks like I better get use to the 375 in a 25" barrel.

We inked the deal. So the 338-08 AI isn't going to happen right now.

Not a bad project for furter down the road.

Sounds like your 22" 375 would be a sweet handling carbine for in close and personal work on the big animals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Ruger, Win, Rem, etc . . . I've always found that my factory 700s were the most accurate. But then again, the 700s are known to be very accurate guns. From what I hear, the Savages are also quite accurate.

I just can't bring myself to buy one unless it's a 99A in 250 Savage. Then I could buy one - hehehehe

I've seen some other posts on this board, I think, or perhaps my board that talked of QA/QC issues at Win.

Rob1SG,

I'm hoping for 3100. We'll see. One of these years I'll have to chron the thing. The other thing that has me scratching my head now is the COL of 71mm.

My WSM is a magnum 700 receiver. That round should be +3" COL. I'll have to figure that one out.

------------------

Regards,

Mark

[This message has been edited by PAWildcatter (edited 03-22-2002).]