THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Ruger Stainless Laminated Stock 30-06

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Stainless Laminated Stock 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up one of these at a pawn shop very cheap the other day. Looked like nearly new, with rings. Little wary but wanted to try it out. I put on an old weaver steel tube K4 and got some Remington Walmart 150 grain green box ammo.

Shoots about as good as I can in a dimly lit indoor 100 yard range. 1.5" group for record. Feeds like butter, and trigger is OK. I can improve trigger. All steel including the floorplate.

This is an american made rifle that will last you, has a decent scope mounting system, and looks OK. Buy one new at sportsman's warehouse for probably $450.00. The group spread was less than the width of the cross hairs for the 4x scope. And I didn't try hard. Fired three shots as fast as I could aim and fire. Why in the hell would someone pick an abomination like the Remington 710 or what ever that is over this rifle?

Am I missing something here?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually bought this rifle to be a loaner to the two sons that hunt (Dad has plenty of guns why buy one trick), but I am thinking now that I may hide it from them.

I need to get to the feral hog fields as soon as it quits raining.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah Mike "I feel your pain", I bought my son his first big game rifle, a M77II in .3-06 SSlaminate. It's a 1moa w/ handloads. The stock is butt ugly, but I figure he can eventually restock it. A good value for the money.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the same rifle except with the synthetic "boat paddle" stock - it's the ultimate utilitarian rifle and one of my very favorites. I've always been a huge Ruger rifle fan, including the #1 and M77's. They're brutally strong and as rugged and durable as any firearm made. You got a good deal there Mike.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my Marlin 45/70 back after two years. I guess I am lucky, but I didn't get any ammo back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own two of those rifles, one in 30/06 and the other in .338 WM. With a new trigger, they are both excellent rifles, indeed. Precise, robust and not even ugly. What else could I ask for?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a boat paddle MK11 30/06 and have a love hate relationship with it......................it threatens to turn into a cz 550 30/06 Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger M77mkII stain/lam. in 280 and love it. I have shot a SUB .5" group with handloads with this rifle doing nothing to it but mounting a scope! Too bad I'm not always a .5" shooter. It averages (or should I say I average) an inch or less and that's fine with me.

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with them that I see. My hunting partner just bought one in .300 WM for elk hunting. Put a Limbsaver pad on it and had the trigger adjusted. Nice rifle and a good shooter. Most important is he likes it.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Bought one of the old M77 mannlicher stocked .308s as a Christmas present for my son yeeeeers ago. He still has it and it shoots 1-1/2" groups or better, depending on the load. May have to buy a left-hand MKII for myself... if my Ruger #1s will let me. Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote