New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: KIMBER MONTANA opinions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Opinions on the 8400 Classic would also be appreciated.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'm in the market for a rifle chambered in the 300 wsm. for the first time, i handled a kimber montana at a gun store the other day and it seemed like a well made rifle. have any of you shoot this rifle before? it seems maybe too light for the 300wsm. opinions anyone? thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I also looked at the Montana in 300 WSM but I just didn't like it. I ended up getting a Sako Finnlight in 300 WSM and, so far, it is a very fine rifle. It has a decent trigger and shoots well.

douglast

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
douglast-where did you see one of the Montana's in a WSM? I was under the impression that they would not be out until late summer or early fall?

Thanks

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

(7WSM being a lil bit better than a 270WSM for elk--I'd suggest a lil bit bettr is a very good term. Both will work just fine, you'd really have to micro manage this one to make much of a case for either IMO. Not dunking you here just making an observation.)

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I saw one at a gun shop in Madison, WI.

douglast

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ,

I agree with you on your disappointment with Sako using the long action on the 300WSM. If I could be a bit more picky, I wish they would have given me more room in the clip to go with a longer seating depth than what the current clip allows. I could use a bit more room to fine tune my short-listed loads.

As an aside, I find it both interesting and irritating at the same time with the debates that rage on within these discussion groups. Which rifle is better A or B. To be honest, I would be glad with A or B and am glad to live in a place where I can shoot A or B whenever I want.

douglast

one of us
posted Hide Post
Douglast, I've actually seen one of the Sako "SM" actions in 300 WSM in a wood stocked version. I didn't compare it directly to long action but it appeared to be a little bid wider as well as shorter but that could have been an illusion. Sako has a tendency to do things very well, I hope they left the magazine box long enough for a little flexibility in seating depth.
By the way the Finnlite long action 300WSM Finnlite was from Jon's Sport center and was advertised for $799, quite a deal for a Finnlite.
I can't wait to check out a 8400 Montana the 84 Montana's are sweetness, the only reason I didn't buy one is that I have a Steyr scout that fills the sythetic stocked lightweight 308 role rather well..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how many rounds the Kimber Montana 8400 in .325 WSM chambers.
On the Kimber website it says 5, yet all the other Kimber Montana 8400 WSM's only hold 3.
Is this a late develoment since introducing the .325WSM or is it an error on the Kimber Website?
Someone got one of these, and can tell me for sure?

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1 round in the chamber and 2 in the mag. As an aside I used a Montana in .300 WSM on a plains game hunt earlier this summer and it was awesome. Everything I could ask for in a hunting rifle.

posted Hide Post
I looked at Kimber and Sako in 375 and chose the Sako.

Kimber's action not the smoothness of Sako. Also the stock is hollow and very noisey when using the action. Like it needs foam in there so things that hit it, etc... are not so loud. The stock just sounds hard and cheap.

Also, the Sako is much more smoother.