New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM
 Login/Join

<STARTING BIG BORE>
posted
Has any one had any experience with this round. I have one that i have not shot yet. I would like some input as to kick,group size,or what ever you can think of, Thanks for your help. (with factory or hand loads) Loading info if you have any. [Confused] [Confused]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
?????????? You've got one, how about YOU tell US????????

Not being a pain on purpose here, but that just struck me as a peculiar question.... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<STARTING BIG BORE>
posted
Dutch the one I have I built, and I was hoping to have somthing to compair it to, butt [Big Grin] thanks for your time.

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Wanna compare apples to oranges?

I have an ULA 300WSM that weighs less than 7 lbs loaded with a scope. Doesn't seem to recoil any harder than my Model 70 .30-06 that weighs 9 1/2 lbs all up. I know it does on paper - but it doesn't seem to in real life. Proper stock I suppose. Anyway - seems like a 270 WSM shouldn't be too bad. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a browning a bolt 270 wsm 23 inch barrel kicks good target shooting but what gun doesnt. kicks more than my model 4 270 ever did have not tried to group it yet to new to even try it need to run a few more boxes out of it fooling around getting used to the gun ... all i can say is the 270 wsm is a KEEPER

Posts: 40 | Location: toronto | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
270wsm

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You wasted you're money! You should have bought a 7mm Rem Mag instead.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

I bought a Model 70 SS 270 WSM in Stainless & synthetic stock last month. Granted it is a poor excuse for a stock. But it is one HELL of a rifle.

I was never a Winchester fan, but I was interested in the new WSM's, and I always wanted a 270.

I bought two boxes of factory ammo, the 130 grn ballistic tips and the 140 grn Fail safes.

Took two shots to sight in, lucky on this one. The next two shots from the 130 grn BT's went into 3/8 in. with the third opening up to a bit over one inch. The next three shots from the Fail Safe's went into 7/8 inch. Remember these are the very first shots taken with this rifle.

I am fast becoming a fan of the CRF Win Mod 70 action. It feeds and shoots great so far. I also had the Chrony hooked up, some impressive figures also. 130 grn BT's.. 6 shots.. AV..3432 SD...17.74
140 grn FS's..4 shots.... AV..3235 SD...15.45

I have many, many rifles, customs, Rugers, Sakos, Remingtons, Marlins, Savage and others. So I think I have a good handle on a quality firearm.

Since Winchester has a brown laminated stock in blue with the 270 WSM and not in SS, I just ordered a brown laminate from them, and will drop the the SS action and barrel in it, when it comes in.

I will say it one more time, this 270 WSM is one HELL of a caliber and the Mod 70 is one hell of a gun.... so far... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I got a stainless Winchester in .270WSM a couple of months ago. As anyone who reads my posts or web site knows, I primarily hunt with a .308 and a .375. I hunt all over the world and I am not prone to the latest fads. I got the gun to test and was a bit intrigued by the round.

When I first shot it, I noticed that recoil was sharp. Not painful, but definiely noticeable. I am sure part of it was the crappy stock, but I was a bit surprised at the recoil (I am not the least bit recoil-sensitive). It had a tendancy to heat up really fast, and I could not get it it to shoot well enough to feel comfortable taking it with me to South Africa and Tanzania in August.

When I returned from Africa, I cleaned it, lightened the trigger, and took it to the range. The trigger pull made a difference and I got respectable groups in the 1" range (3 shots). I took it to New Mexico a week and half ago and shot a Coyote at 200 and a Pronghorn at a laser-measured 453 yards. It worked very well, although it didn't seem to retain a lot of energy at that range. You can clearly see the Pronghorn take it right behind the shoulder on the video, but he kind of runs towards me for a second, then slows down a bit, then stumbles for a bit as if he was drunk before falling over. 2 of my clients shot bucks at 150 & 180 yards, both with the same 130gr. Ballistic Silvertips, and they dropped as if struck by lightening with similar shots.

I am still not sure how I like it, but I plan to take 20 or 30 more animals with it this season (a few bucks and pigs, plus a bunch of doe culling) to see how it works. It does shoot pretty flat, and works well in conjunction with the Kahles TDS reticle. It will be interesting to see how it does this season in regards to quick kills and long range effectiveness. I'll keep any interested parties posted as the season progresses.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg R...

Now that is how you REALLY ring out a rifle & caliber test.

I for one will be very interested in how your 270 WSM shakes out.

The factory 130 grn BT's & 140 grn FS's shoot so well I am going to try the 150 grn factory shells just for the hell of it.

I plan on using mine with PA whitetails this fall and maybe black bear.

I have to change that crappy synthetic stock though. [Big Grin]

[ 10-02-2002, 00:24: Message edited by: PAHunter ]

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to be able to test stuff out on so many animals, and because I get to take so many animals, I get a lot of stuff to test. I will keep you guys posted on the results.

I am a big Winchester fan, but a couple of months ago I got into a discussion on a Texas hunt with one of my clients. He is also a big .270 WSM fan (he was the guy who shot a Pronghorn at 150 on my New Mexico hunt). At the end of the hunt, he handed me a card and said "this is your tip, call this guy tomorrow". Well, the tip was a custom .270WSM on a Dakota action in a McMillan stock with a #3 Lilja barrel. I gave the guy the stock color, LOP, barel length and contour, etc, so it looks like I will have a .270WSM to keep testing after I send back the Winchester. This rifle should be a great platform to test the accuracy of this cartridge.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg:

That must of been a HELL of a HUNT..... Because that was a HELL of a TIP!!!!! and I thought I gave my last PH a great tip when I left.

I am a fan of the Dakota rifles, a couple of my buds have them. They are one beautiful rifle, just a tad to expensive for my blood. When you get over $4K for a custom rifle I have to think twice about the price....LOL

Please keep me informed about the performance. I am a firm beliver in the 2400 to 2500 FPS in the 400 grn bullets and up in the heavier calibers..

But I think with good bullets, in lighter calibers, the likes of the 270 WSM, the Ultra Mags and the Lazzeroni kill like a lighting bolt from GOD.

I have (6) one shot kills from my 300 RUM with factory ammo, 180 grn Swift @ 3350 FPS. Everything from Bull Elk, Zebras, Hartebeast (2), Impala, and Warthog.

When you get tired of that Dakota 270 WSM, give me a call, I will take it off your hands...LOL

Jim P

one of us
posted Hide Post
PA Hunter - you sure about those velocities - that 130 gr is almost 200 fps faster than Winchester advertises and the 140 is 110 fps faster - wow! Just wondered if you chronied some other rounds for a performance check. [Confused]

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rifleman:

I will do another check. The Chrony was in the sun, and it was very hot when I tested, but I have used this Chronograph for years. It is usually pretty much on with factory ammo specs with other calibers.

I will do another test now that the temp is a lot cooler.

Jim P. [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
PA Hunter,

It was a great hunt. He has hunted with me 6 times in the last 9 months and just booked 4 more hunts with me (Texas Whitetail, N.M. Pronghorn in '03, B.C. Bear, and South Africa in July) . He always brings several clients and I entertain the hell out of them. I usually bring several machineguns, plus we shoot skeet and have plenty of shooting contests (which I never win). We also take some fantastic trophies which really goes over well with his clients.

I posted here a while back that I was developing my own hunting show. That show is the reason I got interested in a frangible bullet at higher velocity. I got some great kill shots in Africa with my .308 and .375, but no matter how well I shot stuff, it always ran a good distance (I shoot only Trophy Bonded bullets in Africa). I wanted some more dramatic kills on camera, so I am using the .270WSm with 130gr. Ballistic Tips this deer season. If it works like I expect it to, I may keep using it on deer-size game in North America.

I will still stick with tougher, slower bullets in Africa just because you never know what you may run across. I know that I can take a Zebra or Eland with my .308 with 165 gr. Trophy Bondeds if that's what I have handy when I run across him. I would pass him up if all I had was a .270 WSm with 130gr. Ballistic Silvertips. Tough bullets are great insurance, but unless I am in Bear Country, I am going to try the Ballistic Tips for a while.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Two of my hunting buddy's have coyote's in 270wsm.Both will shoot .5 group's at 100 yard's.They both also shot them at The 1000 yard club in Willimsport Pa...One shot a 24" group and the other 25".These were STOCK out of the box gun's,and they were ten shot group's.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Boyd:

I don't think it's the 270 WSM so much, it just must be us Pennsylvania Riflemen....LOL

[Wink]

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
PaHunter,I could'nt agree more [Big Grin] ......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Well I spent another few hrs at the range today. It is a bluebird day, no clouds, low humidity and 69 degrees.

I also bought a box of (270 WSM) 150 grain Super X Wins to try. I figured the 130 BT's & 140 FS's shot so well, let me try the 150 regulars.

The first three shots 130's.... one inch exactly...Next three shots after cool down, 140 FS's... 1.25 Inch.. The last three shots 150's..3/4 Inch.. all at 100 yards.

I have to tell you, the trigger pull is HARD probably around 5 to 7 lbs. And this gun still shoots inch groups with factory ammo, in all three different bullet weights. And the point of impact of all three, is a difference of about an inch.

I had my Chrony full of a handload I am working on for a 375 H&H so I only had room for one 270 WSM string. I redid the 140 Grn Fail Safes. Three shot avaerage 3168..FPS Extreme Spread 14.1 Standard Deviaton 7.21... pretty dam good for Factory anything. The velocitiy was down compared to when is was around 90 degrees.

Jim P...

[ 10-07-2002, 01:47: Message edited by: PAHunter ]

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Sounds like it's shooting just fine. I couldn't even shoot mine until I adjusted the trigger. If I remeber correctly, it was 71/2 or 8 pounds! Good thing they are easy to adjust.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg:

Yeah, thats my next step, adjust the trigger and replace the stock. I just wanted to see how it would stack up with all the different factory loads available.

I did get some sticky extraction from the 130's the other day, just on one or two shells, but nothing major.

I will keep you guys posted on my results. Now if I could get my 375 H&H settled down I would be in good shape...LOL

Jim P.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only factory loads I have fired in mine were the 150gr PP's...It was about 90 degrees and these are the velocities we got..

3236fps
3235fps
3244fps
3254fps
3231fps
3251fps

The Winchester website lists them at 3,150 fpsBig Grin

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote