New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Classic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking over the Winchester sight on these rifles and noticed something a little wierd. The 300 and 338 Win mag in this rifle wieghts the same as the 270 Win. But the mags have a 26" ttube and the 270 has a 24".

Is this a misprint? Or have they put a real light profile on the mag and a heavy on the 270?

Confused

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taking those numbers at face value, it comes down to the larger calibers having the same profile barrel as the 270, but with a larger hole in the barrel, hence less steel and less weight.

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am too lazy to work the math up on that theory rght now, but that would account for an ounce or less.

And based on that if the barrel profiles being the same the 25-06 would be lighter yet, which its not.

And the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM are listed with the same wieght. I suspect for some reason Winchester is using a slightly heavier contour on the 270 but a mike and both rifles would really tell.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
smaller calibers lighter not heavier? I believe that would be heavier rather than lighter

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
smaller calibers lighter not heavier? I believe that would be heavier rather than lighter

Your right heavier yet, brain fart on my part.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I don't know about those calibers but I do know that the 375h-h is NOT 7 1-2 pounds like they have listed. I weighed one on a scale at 8 1/4 pounds.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they just pic a number to print in the weight colum . kinda like guessing the weight of a fish swiming buy in a stream, except the fish weight guess might be more accurate.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote