New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr Model M Professionals
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had several Steyr Model M Professionals and MIII Professionals and they have all been matte blue finish or parkerized. I am in the process of buying a .270 MIII in matte stainless. When did they make a stainless version?

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the stainless, but great choice of rifles. Superb out-of-the-box accuracy.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have regretted selling every one of them too! Hopefully I will be smart and keep this one. The last .270 I had shot consistantly under 1/4 inch with cheapo Remington 130grs from WalMart. Dumb move. Needless to say the new owner will not sell it back to me.

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reorganized my photobucket albums and thepics disappeared above so here they are:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice...go for it!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted a question about it on another site and no one is familiar with a stainless version of this gun. It may be an aftermarket coating of some kind. Either way I can't wait to get my hands on it.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
First I've ever heard of one...definitely never saw one - I would have remembered that.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke to GSI and they said they have never had a stainless Model M and did not have any plated either so it has to be aftermarket. I will find out when I get it I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up the Steyr yesterday and the coating appears to be very even over the etire rifle. I like it. I will post more pics later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, and it'll be a shooter. Try a few factory loads....one of them is bound to make little tiny groups. All of mine have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's a good shooter, but I can't stand the design. Wish those guys could change their Stylist...

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned one for 20 yrs,my first rifle, and shot over two thousand rounds with a 270w but chrome molly.The rifle is full of issues but was my favorite in that it spawned my interest in rifles,taught me plenty and accompanied me on many memorable hunts.It was the only rifle I sold but the one I shouldn't have.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they hard chromed it? I have an m-III in 30.06 and it stacks 'em! had a .270 that stacked Hornady 140 customs. I sold the .270..and got a steyr luxus. Sexiest rifle I own!!!

Posts: 154 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 24 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I have a parkerised one in .270...
Incidentally, does anyone know of any after-market stock options? I would love to pillar bed mine in a stiffer stock...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics I took real quick today while waiting for a crap load of girls to arrive (It is my daughter's 16th birthday party) so I still need to get some good closeups. There is a slightly different coloration inside the ejection port.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock on my M-III cracked at the pistol grip. I ended up researching and Lone Wolf out in Montana said they could build a stock for it (the rotary magazine is the challenge). I chose the rogue model stock..chose the color I wanted, stock measurements and I sent it to them...366 days later, it finally came back and they did a fantastic job but don't expect fast turn around.
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
I have a parkerised one in .270...
Incidentally, does anyone know of any after-market stock options? I would love to pillar bed mine in a stiffer stock...

Posts: 154 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 24 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. There is a guy here who makes very nice laminate stocks to any pattern. He also suggests that it is possible to replace the rotary magazine with the single stack metal box and bottom metal from the Luxus model M which may make things easier down the road...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A while back I bought another professional real cheap that had a broken stock. I talked to a stockmaker that had a pantograph and he said he could glue the old stock together to use as a pattern and make a new stock. I will see if i can find his contact info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to paint the stock and I was thinking of going with an olive base with black and white webbing. Anyone got any pics of a stainless rifle with an olive or even tan stock with webbing they care to post?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steyr excellent rifle. McMillan make stock.

Posts: 66 | Location: HELL WARMED OVER | Registered: 26 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan only mqkes a stock for the SSG. I called them first