Find
Notify
Tools

Vanguard Synthetic Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
Does anybody know if the newer Vanguard rifles, with the Monte Carlo synthetic stock, has a cheek piece? I am hearing good things about the Vanguard line and was wondering how this stock is working out for them? Thanks for any comments.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo M:
Does anybody know if the newer Vanguard rifles, with the Monte Carlo synthetic stock, has a cheek piece? I am hearing good things about the Vanguard line and was wondering how this stock is working out for them? Thanks for any comments.

Leo, I'm just looking at the new Weatherby catalog and all the pictures are from the bolt side. Being a Weatherby I'd say it's safe to assume that it does have a cheekpiece. Personally I don't think you'll go too far wrong with a Weatherby.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or buy the exact same rifle with Howa stamped on the reciever for $100 less. Howa makes them for Weatherby. My Howa 1500 does have the Monte Carlo style stock.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I belive Weatherby uses there own barrels on the Howa action.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Buy a Howa, it'll be less money for essentially the same rifle! Big Grin

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, if cheaper buy the Howa. Having said that I've just bought a 30/06 Vanguard with the Butler Creek stock and love the feel of the rifle. The newer "Weatherby style" is less to my liking as its triangular in the forend and just feels odd.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Cliff, how old is your 1500? That the reason I was going to go with the Vanguard over the Howa. I'm thinking though of getting the How since it's cheaper because most likely I will change out the stock to the B&C Medalist with the AL bedding block.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they have a cheek peice.

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
Thank you CC.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Howa is new in the box as I am a dealer and just recieved some this month.You can but the Howa barreled action for about 50-75 dollars less than the stocked version and put your own stock on. Many stockmakers make stocke for the Howa.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Oh, so you put the stock on yourself. That's what I was planning on doing. I'd get the Wby but they Vanguards don't come in 25-06 anymore.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leo M ,
The Vanguard with the pillar bedded Bell and Carlson stock (with cheekpiece) is called the Fibreguard here in Oz . A bit more expensive than the synthetic stock Vanguard but worth it . Fastest selling centrefire rifles in Australia apparently .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote