THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    plentiful? inexpensive? 9.3x64 ammo

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

plentiful? inexpensive? 9.3x64 ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
I happened to be cruising around the net and came up with this russian gun club page:
http://club.guns.ru/eng/barnaul.html

Aside from all the military and armor testing stuff, there is a mention of Barnaul now making 9.3x64 ammo to match a set of new rifles from Izhmash. The only date on the page says 2001. Has anyone heard any more about this whole project? Maybe some of our European members have recent information?

If this is truly the same 9.3x64 as the regular 9.3x64 Brenneke, this is good news. The picture caption says "The newly developed 9.3x64 mm cartridges features a 17.4 g SP bullet.", so I wonder if it matches the original in all respects. It would be great if this stuff was available in the US. I've been real happy with other Barnaul ammo I have used - the smiles/dollar ratio is good.

The fact that there are several guns in production in Russia in this caliber seems to be a vote of confidence for this cartridge. Of course this looks like old info, so this might have all faded away by now. Any news would be great!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
17.4 gram = 268 grain bullet

(17.4 x 15.4324 = 268.52376)

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob. Conversions I can do (I'm an engineer). I was wondering more about case dimensions. Would this ammo be safe to use in an existing rifle chambered for 9.3x64 Brenneke, or have they modified things and retained just the numeric portion of the original name? I guess I'd like to see a sample of it in person, but I can't find it offered anywhere in the US.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are now building a ak platform in that caliber for a sniper weapon they seem to think will be on par with the bolt stuff in 338lap.

From a couple of sites and friends, both have stated that it is down loaded for the rifle,,what ever that means to Russians

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
They are now building a ak platform in that caliber for a sniper weapon they seem to think will be on par with the bolt stuff in 338lap.

roflmao That's a good one.

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
The last time I checked into 9.3x64 ammo, I came up empty. I managed to find some Hertneberger brass at Huntington's. Since I only reload for this cartridge, that was a good find. I would be interested in loaded ammo, too, provided the price is less than RWS wants (ouch!).

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Russian 9,3x64 ammunition, made by Barnaul and by LVE, is good and cheap. The Barnaul version however is a "soft load", weaker than the RWS cartridges. That is why the Tigr-9 self-loading hunting rifle has a gas regulator, to accomodate either type of cartridges.

The military SVDK version, which was mentioned in the thread, is still in prototype stage, and Izhmash is trying find buyers.

A military sniper cartridge also exists (made by LVE), and while it is nominally called 9x64, its case dimensions are identical with the civilian cartridge.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote