New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57- which action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings Men, I have a nice custon 7x57mm but dont know who made the action, it reads (DUETSCHE WAFFEN-UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN) seems pretty stout and functions very well. Any help will be appreciated.....Thanks

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry mcdonald:
Greetings Men, I have a nice custon 7x57mm but dont know who made the action, it reads (DUETSCHE WAFFEN-UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN) seems pretty stout and functions very well. Any help will be appreciated.....Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D...nd_Munitionsfabriken

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was made by DWM in Berlin, the sucessor to Ludwig Loewe & Co. of Berlin.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ID, as 98's go is this a good one? I push 175 grand slams to just over 2700fps w/ no signs of pressure, and pockets are still tight after 4 loadings, just wanna get max. safe power.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the ID, as 98's go is this a good one? I push 175 grand slams to just over 2700fps w/ no signs of pressure, and pockets are still tight after 4 loadings, just wanna get max. safe power.

Not intending to be smart or off-color here. But if you want to get max power out of a 7mm, there are better cartridges to do so with...such as the 7mm RMag.

There really is little reason to push a 7x57 that hard...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

What loads: brass, primers, powders are you useing? It is de original military barrel?
With my 7x57, also an M98 (1935) with a military pristine barrel, and loading the cartridge at 3,3 " OAL, I can get 2650 f/s with R22 powder, winchester brass. And it is a safe maximum load. 7 reloads with no problem.

Regards

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rnovi, I agree with your post, but this rifle shot better with each increase in powder, before I knew it I was @ +2700fps w/ outstanding accuracy @ the same time watching for pressure signs.......PatagonHunter..My load is 175 Speer grand slam, 49gns IMR4350, CCI 250 primer, put up in REM brass W/ a COL of 3.100. The barrel is an old custom of some unknown make 25" long. I really like carrying the rifle, even W/ its old plum colored leupold. It has also punched thru deer @ any angle. (4) so far....Good Shootin.......Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to question your veracity, but did you chrono that load? I load 160 Accubonds w/ the same charge and do not get anywhere near that velocity out of my #1. Yes, my barrel is shorter, but not enough to make THAT much difference.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aliveincc, I read your above post and went to my shop and just chronoed one. Its 92 degrees out and the screen read 2725fps on the nose. And as usual easy bolt lift and flawless extraction. I realize there are lighter faster bullets that will work fine on deer. But when I got this rifle I wanted to shoot the 175's cause thats what this fine old caliber built its rep on.....Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impressive! I was rather surprised/disappointed w/ my velocities, but it shoots very well and is deadly on hogs & deer. I also took a Nilgai bull w/ it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that 160 AB should be a TSOB @ 7x57 vels, congrats on the Nilgai..Jerry

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Jerry the DWM action is as good as they come. Some of the 1909 Argintine actions that are almost revered were made at the DWM plant and some were made by Oberndorf. My own custom 7x57 is on a beautiful 1908 DWM. I have been running the 160gn Woodleigh at 2700fps.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The early DWM actions were a bit soft and might be prone to lug setback.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Not according to Tknccc or whatever his handle is.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 1908 is a very nicely made action. I'm not sure I would try to magnumize one though. Pics?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

I have a 1909 Argentine action with measureable lug setback. Doesn't mean they all will setback, and of course I don't know the history of the action. But it definitely has lug setback.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That sort of logical argument won't work with him. He's worked on over 100 and NEVER had setback. stir Empircal data be damned!
I have a 1909 Argentine action with measureable lug setback. Doesn't mean they all will setback, and of course I don't know the history of the action. But it definitely has lug setback.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff, Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for. Im gonna try some 175 PP Woodleighs in my rifle, Outta be a hell of a bone punch.......22WRF, I neck-size just enough to get a semi firm close on chambering to prevent any running start wear. I dont think Im pushing any harder than any 270-280 class loads. Though I dont have a strain gauge.....z1r, very nice work, I checked your site. I will see if my fine woman can post a rifle pic. As I am a electrical/technical/computer idiot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Jerry the DWM action is as good as they come. Some of the 1909 Argintine actions that are almost revered were made at the DWM plant and some were made by Oberndorf. My own custom 7x57 is on a beautiful 1908 DWM. I have been running the 160gn Woodleigh at 2700fps.

Von Gruff.

Kudos on a FINE 7x57, on an equally FINE 98 action.
Being a 7x57 loony, I think the 7x57, and a 98 action, is about the very best combo for a hutning rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Kudos on your FINE rifle also. This is your thread, so HUGE KUDOS are in order.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
gotta picture?

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMB, Thank you very much, carrying this little rifle afield is a welcomed pleasure, DAMN I cant wait for this fall and that first big frost. TC1,...My woman is out jogging this morning, Ill see if she can post a pic later today.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jerry! I love to see those M98 customs.

I have a DWM 1909 mauser that seems to be holding up just fine. I use common sense and don't try to get belted magnum performance out of a standard cartridge though.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I push 175 grand slams to just over 2700fps

Wow Eeker
Thats impressive from a 7x57. Thats a sound load for a 7x64/.280Rem!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The 1908 is a very nicely made action. I'm not sure I would try to magnumize one though. Pics?

Mr. McCabe,

A pretty famous guy stated in his writings that the strength of a mauser action was in the design and the quality of the steel. Heat treating, it is said, only suface hardens the steel to prevent galling.

Why do some actions "setback" while others go through their reborn lives without incident?

My gunsmith harden tests each action before he rebarrels it. Does that do any good, and does it insure against setback?

I have rifles made on both the 1909 and 1908
that have seen heavy use for at least 25 years
without incident. Both are chambered 280 Remington and my son-in-law always pushed the envelop with his reloading.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Slater, Glad to here Im not the only one, Have seen a couple of custom mauser's over the years in 308 Win @ 300 Win, thats why I felt safe loading up the 7x57 a little. To me its all about placing an accurate shot to the game, a little more speed helps w/ longer shots and bucking the wind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I push 175 grand slams to just over 2700fps

...Its seems your not alone,....

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:Posted 21 July 2003 09:53
...I can load my 7x57 Brno 21 or 22F to duplicate the .280 Rem..simply because it has a 06 lenth magazine and an extremely long throat..I can seat a 175 gr. Hornady Spt. half way to the cannalure...that gives me a lot of powder space..I get 2900 plus with 160 gr. Noslers and 2700 with 175's...these are max loads but very safe in my rifle and I have been shooting them for many years..Only one powder will do this however and that is a hefty dose of H414, it is considerably over book max btw, so I won't suggest it as surly some one would try this in their standard chamber and lock it up or worse...I noticed Barsness said this could not be done and that he had tested it...He is dead wrong on the 7x57...It is simply another way of improving the case to give it the same capacity of a 7x57 AI....Amazingly enough the 130 gr. Speers shoot great in these Brnos, 3/4" in mine, and they have to jump a mile to reach the rifling, another disputed fact as some say that is not good for accuracy, and granted sometimes its not, but that or anything else is written in stone when it comes to rifles....These gun writers/experts should understand that each gun is a inity unto itself, and that is for sure. Some do but some don't....

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax,

thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the same load in my 7x57 occasionally, but only get about 2500fps. out of it. That was with the bullet loaded out in a long throat rifle with a 24" barrel. I've shortened the barrel to 21" now for convenience as i mostly load 139-150gr. bullets for whitetails. You're lucky to get that much velocity. Be thankful.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I just developed a load for my Custom DWM 7x57 as a compliment to the 160gn Woodleigh at 2700fps. This is with the 120gn GSC HV bullet and BL-C2 and at 3235fps it shot 3 different powder developement loads into 1/4 in plus with one called flier, it took exactly 4 shots to get a load. Going out to look for a Fallow next week to try it out.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3235fps, Damn thats smokin, Von Gruff, hope you see Fallow tenderloin in the very near future..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don Slater, Glad to here Im not the only one, Have seen a couple of custom mauser's over the years in 308 Win @ 300 Win, thats why I felt safe loading up the 7x57 a little. To me its all about placing an accurate shot to the game, a little more speed helps w/ longer shots and bucking the wind.

Jerry,
the late great mauser brain,Tom Burgess, found certain mausers[1909] to be rather soft in their original HT state,IIRC as low as 18rc in some cases, with only about .007" depth.
His Idea of an good mauser receiver was one with about 55rc surface hardness,36-38rc core hardness,48rc bolt hardness, carburizing depth .030"
He also stated that receivers which deviated away from the original full C-ring design, required more careful selection of steel,
.. said he had seen FN mausers that peeled back all the way to the bolt stop slot!... Eeker

and this from DArcy Echols:
quote:
For what it's worth. I barreled a comercial FN (circa 1950)that came to me in the white and had never had a barrel on it (ie new in the box). I chambered it to 300 Win and sent it one it's way. It began to seperate cases inside 50 rounds. When it returned I checked the hardness on the "c" scale and found it dead soft. The lug set back and head space was corrected and the action was sent off to correct the limp noodle situation. Hasn't moved at all now in 14 years. I now rockwell even my dry flies before I head to the river.

and heres a report on a mauser that was TOO hard..
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/287107765/p/1

Bottom line is, assume nothing about the current condition of an M98 receiver.
I do not look at someone elses mauser performing and automatically assume another is capable of the same.
I would not do an mauser build without proper re-HT.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's more BS in Mauser hardness testing and heat treating than you can shake a stick at.

The bottom line is simpy that WWI actions of all MFRs regardless of how well made they were are a trifle soft and subject to setback. They may or may not setback!

Most actions considered WWII (post 1924) were given much better heat treating and are quite likely to stand up to higher pressures.

With a 1909 action one is just playing Russian Roulette unless he has the action professionally heat treated.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures man Pictures !

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the informative info Men, I would prefer to keep that German steel as designed and not buried in my forehead...Thomas Jones, my Girls camera is @ her place, she will get it this wknd, and post some pics.