New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62mm Nato accuracy
 Login/Join

<Pure Evil>
posted
Is it possible to set up a rifle in 7.62 Nato for target shooting at 1000m?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt it.
At least in my opinion the accuracy is to bad.

Magnar

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Palma matches are shot at 800, 900 and 1000 yards, the required cartridge/bullet is a 308 Winchester loaded with 155 Sierra HPBT bullets. The only way that you can get enough muzzle velocity to keep the 155 HPBT supersonic to 1000 yards is with a loooong barrel (around 36"). I think that 175 and 190 HPBTs from a 308Win will remain supersonic to 1000 yards with the more common shorter barrels. I would think that the cartridge has enough "inherent" accuracy, but the relatively longer time-of-flight may give an advantage to the 300 magnums, 6.5-284, 338 Lapua, etc. I doubt that NATO 147 gr FMJ cartridge would remain supersonic to 1000 yards, and would not be a suitable candidate for 1000 yard target work.

Just my opinion, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I guess that would depend on the size of the target. The M40 series rifles used by the Marine Corps are used at ranges up to 1000m on human silhouette sized bullseyes.

Bob

[ 07-09-2002, 03:25: Message edited by: Gunny Bob ]

Posts: 361 | Location: Stevens Point, WI, USA | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Evil:
Is it possible to set up a rifle in 7.62 Nato for target shooting at 1000m?

Yep. Shoot 175's loaded fairly stiff. 168's would be possible if pushed fast enough.

As pointed out above, the US military shoots the 7.62 out that far with "factory" loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnar:
I doubt it.
At least in my opinion the accuracy is to bad.

Magnar

I'd definitely have to disagree on that one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnar:

The 7.62 Nato (.308) is one of the, if not the most accurate factory hunting/military type rounds ever made. It remains to be seen if the .300 WSM or one of the smaller clones, with it's more benchrest like case shape might be more accurate. The only problem with the .308 is, as has been noted above, its somewhat limited case capacity for 1000 yards.

Probably the most demanding and telling accuracy tests ever done were the shooting in the infamous or famous Houston Warehouse. With absolute top quality equipment, top quality shooters, the .22 PPC was the most accurate of all the rounds tested capable of consistently shooting .05 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Followed closely by the 6mmPPC and then the .308 which was only good for about .10. Of course, it must be understood that these were as perfect of conditions as you could image inside a warehouse, with the best shooters, and near perfect bench technique.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to accuracy at any range the 7.62 is difficult to beat depending on the configuration of the rifle and what specific ammo is used. Loaded with 175 Sierras the 7.62 is probably capable of shooting at near the 1/2 moa mark. With the 155s it seems to shoot about double that.
I've recently been shooting off some Lake City match (173gr bullet)for the brass and the practice and it will shoot about 1 1/2 moa in my 7.62 "F" class rifle.
For our "F" class shooting, done from 300 to 900M I use the 7.62 out to 600 and the 6.5x55 at 7,8,and 900 meters but I would not feel handicapped using the 7.62 for all of it. I just find it easier to have one rifle set up for the long range and the 6.5 is maybe a little better just because of ballistics. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore - Gatogordo.

I merely based that opinion on what I have seen in my rifle and that was not to good.
But ofcourse this was a standard hunting rifle, and I can't get the groups any tighter than 1" at a 100m. If I were to shot at targets at 1000m then I wouldn't be able to get first place. [Smile]

Magnar

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Magnar,
Man, your rifle needs a rework. the 308 can easily do 1/2" in hunting weight. while the hunter class benchrest guns are usually not hunting guns, they usually shoot in the 1s or 2s (.1xx or .2xx)
the 308 can shoot 1000 yards, and do so with 1/5moa, under perfect conditions. Also, it's cheap to shoot, enjoyable as all getout for recoil, and is a great thinkskin game getter.

good shooting
jeffe

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Magnar,
Man, your rifle needs a rework. the 308 can easily do 1/2" in hunting weight. while the hunter class benchrest guns are usually not hunting guns, they usually shoot in the 1s or 2s (.1xx or .2xx)
the 308 can shoot 1000 yards, and do so with 1/5moa, under perfect conditions. Also, it's cheap to shoot, enjoyable as all getout for recoil, and is a great thinkskin game getter.

good shooting
jeffe

Jeff,

Don't be so hard on Magnar.... I happen to think that 1" at 100M isn't so bad for a 308 Win sporter (still less than 1 moa), and he realizes that this level of accuracy may not make him competitive at 1000M.

As to the HBR guns shooting in the 1s, they'd be shooting them in Varmint class and cleaning up. Maybe where you come from, but I haven't seen this in the five years that I've been shooting HBR. Maybe an "occasional" ".1XX", but not the rule. Theoretically, to shoot a 50-5X, your group has to be bullet dia (.308) plus bull dot dia (.062), or .370", centered on the exact center of the target. In our last match, there were exactly 3, 50-5 targets, out of 70 total targets shot at 100 yards.

But, you did say "perfect conditions"....

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
There have been a number of benchrest rifles made for the .308/7.62 NATO. It is an extremely accurate round, and using th right long-range target bullets there's no reson it could not be used at 1000 meters!! Anyone who says the .308 is not accurate is just plain nuts!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys!
I just have to stand up for my friend Magnar here.
I belive it is some difference between the fabricants too. And I've noticed some difference between LOT no. also.
The NATO ammo that's made at the Norwegian factory, at Raufoss RA ( atleast WAS!!), has tar in the troath so moisture dont damage it.
My experience is that the tar makes the bullets fixed in the case troat with different strenght. And that makes the pressure different, and that not good! I have a Mauser M98, chambered for 7,62x51mm NATO, and thats quite accurate. It's even better if I loosen the bullet by pushing the bullet approx. 1/2mm futher down the troat, just to loosen it. But the best result is to change the bullet with the 150 grs. Sierra HPBT match. That give me 3 shot groups at 5mm!!!!
But I've also tryed NATO ammo in my Rem. 700 BDL, and that gave me groups at 40 - 50mm!! It seems like some American made rifles is'nt to happy about our NATO ammo, I belive it is a slight difference between the 7,62x51mm chamber, and the 308 Win. chamber??!
But I've heard that Lapua factory in Finland, has taken over the 7,62x51mm NATO production now, and that the accuracy has improved a lot. I havent tryed one of these yet, but I will!!

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Hey 460. Just because there have been some lots of 7.62 NATO ammo that has not been particularly accurate is no reflection on the cartridge itself!! It is, and has always been, a very inherently accurate cartridge DESIGN. But, li9ke any cartridge, it is dependent upon quality of manufacture. As a matter of fact, bullet quality has more to do with how accurately a cartridge performs than any other single factor!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm aware that the .308 is a very accurate round.
That's why I use my .308 rifle in competition (amateur).
I load it with the 168 grs Sierra MK, and it gives me a cloverleaf at 100 meters. I'm not able to attain that with the military ammo I can get hold of here in Norway.

Magnar

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I've done well with a .308 at 600 yds. Using iron sights.They sound like the have a good bit of gas left in them when the buzz over your head in the target pits at that range too.An extra 400 yds. is just a few more clicks up.Go for it ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote