THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    How much difference is there really....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much difference is there really....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
beteen a 7mm Rem Mag and a .300 Win Mag or H&H?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh Geeze......is this a trick question because you used the word beteen?

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With similar weight bullets, a/b a RCH .

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
Oh Geeze......is this a trick question because you used the word beteen?

LOL! i was typing with BOTH fingers what do you expect???

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
My line of thinking was stirred by comments from an "expert" who praised the 300 H&H and all but dismissed the 7mm Rem Mag. I personally wouldn't pass up a shot with a 7 that I would take with a .300 anything. I like the 160 or 175s in my 7 and would probably use 180s or maybe up to 200s in a .300, but either seems to be so close to the same to me it wouldn't matter.

What I don't know is all the ballistic and calculations that would put them on apples to apples comparison. Obviously SD & BC should be close to the same but what next? Nate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.024 but I will take the 300 Win every time!

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
I think its impossible to notice any difference between a 30-06 with 180 grainers and a 7mm mag and 175 grainers.

On game at reasonable distances and similar bullets.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:

The average 7mm shooter is much more proud of his gun.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 900 SS:
I think its impossible to notice any difference between a 30-06 with 180 grainers and a 7mm mag and 175 grainers.

To make an apples to apples comparison, you'd need to compare 7mm with 160 grain bullets to be in the same class as .30-06 with 180 grain bullets.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To almost quote the late and great 'Finn Aagard',
"I defy anyone to tell by the reaction of the game on big African antelope, with identical shot placement, which caliber was used from the 7x57 thru the .375 H&H. Reaction will be the same!"

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

as compared to, say, a 460 weatherby?
nothing by selecting the right rifle and good shot placement

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38470 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using a 7mm 160gr NP and a .300cal 200gr NP bullet, I couldn't tell any difference. They both put holes all the way through and killed quickly.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
difference beteen a 7mm Rem Mag and a .300 Win Mag or H&H?

.308" - .284" = .024"

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
quote:

The average 7mm shooter is much more proud of his gun.

LOL! I have found the opposite to be true. In fact what started this for me was a conversation with an "expert" who bestowed blessings on the all powerfull .300 H&H while regailing my children of how the 7mm Rem Mag is so poor ballistically that a single blade of grass would cause a bullet to be more than 21" off course, while a .300 would shoot through brush.

I personally couldn't care less. I can kill animals with whatever. I think a pre 64 would be great but if the new M70 could be ordered with sights I'd have one of those in .30 cal somethingorother. Not because I think it would work any different, but because I'm thinking about being able to interchange bullets so I don't have to stock so many different calibers!

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
To almost quote the late and great 'Finn Aagard',
"I defy anyone to tell by the reaction of the game on big African antelope, with identical shot placement, which caliber was used from the 7x57 thru the .375 H&H. Reaction will be the same!"

I agree completely. I'm amazed at all of the cartridge comparison threads that go on and on and on, all the time. The biggest difference between most modern cartridges is between the shooters ears.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and hunted both a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 Win Mag [and a 300 WBY Mag as well.]

The 7mm will have a little less recoil, the 300 mag will have a little more thump, on both ends.

I prefer the 300 Mag as IF I need thump at long range, it gives me the best all round choice, between recoil and thump.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh the ever mythical caliber that "shoots through brush" lol......Expert....riiiiiiiiiiiiight....

rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I thought about posting a pic of the massive exit hole through a 3' diameter tree stump from my 45-70 with a 350 gn cast load and asking how that fares in the category of "brush buster".. Big Grin

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:

The H&H is a really old design, the 7mm case is a very good design, and the 300 WM was a really stupid one..

Does that clear it up for you? Big Grin

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think quite a bit when you the 30 bigger bullets, but probably not noticeable until yo upass the 300yd mark.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If had a 300 Win. Mag. I'd be Happy as I do have a 7 mm Rem. Mag. I don't need the Former..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 900 SS:

We shot two antelope in the same place last year, my partner shot with 30-06 one day and I with 7mm magnum the next. The shots were nearly identical and the antelope fell within 50 feet of each other. No difference that I could see...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14379 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
742 Remington carbine in 3006, Remington 700 classic in 300 Weatherby, Winchester mod 70 stainless in 7mm Remington mag, Hs precision Lightweight in 300 wsm. The cartidges are more alike than different but the rifle are significantly different. Enjoyed them all,love carrying the Hs Precision.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not much, I shoot the 300 Win and use 190-200 gr bullets except for deer, then a 150gr with the velocity backed off to around 3100fps.
It is important to use an action for the 300Win that is long enough to seat the bullet at the base of the neck. Of couse the 7mm would benifit the same with anything bigger than 140 grain bullets.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30 caliber can send a 200 or 220 gr. bullet down range faster..Bottom line is the 30 is a bigger gun, thats the way it works, the 338 is a bigger hammer than the 300..

Folks seem to want to make a given caliber more than it is and sometimes you can come close but never a ceeegar! and you have to do it at more pressure etc, etc.

The most deceitful invention in the world is the chronograph when used properly, it blows so many idealistic hats off.. horse

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I thought about posting a pic of the massive exit hole through a 3' diameter tree stump from my 45-70 with a 350 gn cast load and asking how that fares in the category of "brush buster".. Big Grin

That would depend on whether you hit whatever you were shooting at on the OTHERSIDE of the stump

coffee

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote