Find
Notify
Tools

338 vs. 375
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

338 or 375? Which would you choose for hunting northern part of the "globe" big game, Bear, Elk, Moose and the the big plains game in Africa and Asia.

A 338 RUM, 338-404 or 340 would be a great combination with a 416. Meanwhile a 375 RUM, 375-40, 375Wby would do as a one gun safari rifle, and could be a great match with a 450 or 500.

Which bullet weight would you choose? the 338 caliber seems to have bullets with better BC and SD than the 375 in the most common bulletweights

Don't be shy [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers
JOHAN

[ 11-22-2002, 16:05: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Simple, neither, I'd do it with a .35 caliber.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Simple, neither, I'd do it with a .35 caliber.

NO NO NO NO NO, not again. These bloody 35's [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . A caliber that should have been taken away long ago

I don't respect the elders either [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,Why not go with the 9.3x64,isn't easier to get over there,the round sure seems to be able to do it as well as the belted stuff.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Either the .338-06 or .338 win. mag.....not the big wildcats.

<GarthDial>
posted
.375 H&H Rimless Belted Magnum.

Ammo is almost universally available, unlike all the other cartridges that have been mentioned. It will easily kill anything that walks on the "northern 'globe'"(Did you mean to say "Northern Hemisphere"?).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan: In Alaska, USA, the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM are the most popular cartridges. These are used as "all around" hunting cartridges, since most hunters here hunt moose, caribou, deer, elk, bison, and sometimes bears. But while out hunting moose and other game, some bears are also killed with guns of the calibers mentioned above.

The .338WM is a very potent cartridge, and it benefits a great deal by the numerous .33 bullets (160-300 grains), which offer great BC and SD. This cartridge holds its own against the .375 H&H up to perhaps 300-grain bullets, but the .375 H&H, with its greater powder capacity, can do much better with the heavier than 300-grain bullets available for it. Either one of these two would make a great "all around" gun for Alaska, but the .338WM has become much more popular here.

My favorite pairs of rifles would be:

#1..338WM, and one of the .416's. This would be my number one choice for Alaska and the rest of the world.

#2..300 H&H, and .375 H&H
#3..338-06, and .375 H&H
#4..35 Whelen (or .30-06), and .375 H&H

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish you lived closer.....I'd let you shoot my .338-06 to see what you think. The 06 based round is WAY easier on the shooter than the silly Ultra Mags. I've killed several heads of large game from close range eland,plains game to 300+ yard bull elk, ALL with one well placed 250 grain partition or A-Frame each.

On paper the big mags promise all sorts of things but FEW hunters TRULY need all that power. And I know everyone says they can handle the recoil and blast, but they ARE tough to master.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
What about 358-378 real guns ? [Smile]
http://www.realguns.com/loads/358378.htm

Posts: 2082 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have chosen to go with the std. 338 Win. and that was a decision I have never regretted...It is a wonderful caliber, accruate, mild or recoil, and kills like the hammer of Thor. I love those big 300 gr. Woodleigh PP and RN bullets.

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Inside of 200 yards, there's not really much difference on the game you specify (you didn't say cape buff, rhino, or elephant, where the advantage would go to the .375). At longer ranges, the faster, and generally more streamlined .338 bullets make hits easier, so I think the all around nod goes to the standard .338 Winchester. Don't get me wrong -- the .375 H & H can do some fine long range work, also, just not quite up to the .338's abilities (and I own both in identical guns).

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I've used the .338 Winchester off and on for over twenty years, and I really like that cartridge. I've also used the .375 H&H quite a bit.

Most .338s are lighter to carry up the mountain than the average .375, but the .375 H&H carries more authority and is therefore more versatile. It'll do all that the .338 Winchester will do and then some.

The .375 H&H is also the most popular medium bore in Africa, and I've never been in an African hunting camp that didn't have some Three-Seven-Five ammo on hand.

If you're going to hunt mostly mountain game, plus African plainsgame short of buffalo, the .338 will be easier to lug around, yet it will still serve you very well.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to go with the 375 H & H because of the two, that is what I have. They are both great calibers. JOHAN, why didn't you include the 9.3 in your analogy? That would probably be the best compromise between the two.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan, you have some interesting posts here in response to your question. Obviously more experienced people than myself have responded.

Having said that, I would readily reach in the safe and grab my .338 Win Mag and be perfectly happy.

The .338 hits plenty hard and most .375 rifles I have handled were pretty heavy. A friend owned a .375 H&H in a Remington rifle and said it was not heavy enough! (A 700 Classic I think)

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I would go with my .340 Wby over the .338 Win. I would also go with my .358 STA over the .375 H&H. A 225 gr. North Fork or 270 gr. North Fork would do nicely. Bullets with a better Sectional Density and B.C. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to go with the 338 it out preforms the 375 at longer ranges . [Smile]

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the .338 Win. Mag. and the .375 H&H(two of three of my only big game rifles). And when it comes to spring and fall brown and black bear hunting, my .338 Win. Mag. gets the nod most of the time. I usually stick with the 210 or 250 grain NP's.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I posted this question since I have an problem. I have a 9,3X62 on a commercial FN action, which I like very much.

My first rifle were in 375 H&H and I have owned several 338's both Sakos, Remingtons, Winchesters and mausers.

I can't make up my mind what to get this time. the 375 is a great round adn a 375-404 is very tempting, soo is also the 340 wby and others. I'm thinking about getting a 416 for African use or even a 450.
/ JOHAN

[ 11-21-2002, 04:54: Message edited by: JOHAN ]