New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice problem to have !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to ship off an old mauser I bought a few weeks ago , to build on, and later found out it was prety rare and valuable.
So I will be in the delicious position of having a few bucks to spend.
Of course I have already spent it a million times in my mind but unfortunatly in fact, I will get but one chance.
Part of me says be practicle and get a nice new scope for one of the 2 projects I have going. But the part of my I usually listen to says , hell with that buy a new rifle.
The last thing I really need is a new rifle , but that has no berring on the situation at all. ( one bennifit of being single)
My work has me driving all over portland every day and I know most of the hawk shops and gun stores inventory better than the people who work there.
There is a Ruger #1B centenial model in .270 I can get at a great price.
A like new JC higgins model 50 (FN) in the same cartridge for 500.00. (seems a little high)
and a cool 7X57 Built on an FN military action, looks like it was done by santa barbra or one of those companies.
The guy wants to much for it, BUT I LIKE IT !.
Or. My smith has a small ring husky action with a ER shaw barrel in 6.5X55, and a nice old fajan stock that would look grate on it.
I could buy the barreld action and have 70.00 left over to put down on the stock.
Another option , I like this one a lot, is to go through my smiths stock of drilled and taped actions. (he has lots of various military 98s)
Pick one out I like and have about 170.00 left over for a timny trigger and probably a 3 position safty.
Oh yea, I almost forgot. My smith also has a rifle I rather like , although I,m not sure why.
Its a military 98 action with a take off remington heavy barrel cut off rechamberd and threaded and chamberd for the 6mm Rem.
Its barrel is rather short , probably 18 to 20 inches.
I bet the darn thing would shoot lights out with a short stiff barrel like that.
And I kind of like the likly hood that my smith, a fine craftsman for sure probably buit the thing for next to nothing using take off parts and another old fajan he had on the wall.
well. the next few weeks will tell all, and mabye i,ll end up with somthing totaly un predictable.
obviously I like most any rifle out there...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
Buy the JC Higgins you can't go wrong if it is in the condition you say it is. I bought a JC Higgins model 50 3006 barreled action with the FN action.I paid $375.00 for it and feel like I got a good deal. The model 50's have a crome lined bore and if I remember correctly the rifles and barrels were made by High Stanard for Sears. I bought a Bell and Carlson stock with the aluminum bedding block for my 06. I also bought a factory stock for it but it is made to use the open sights and I like to use scopes. The JC HIggins model 50 are fine accurate rifles.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Thomas, the short and sweet of it is the first two would be my picks, but your tastes and milage must vary. Parts guns are interesting combinations, but rarey have any value beyond their usefullness. Good luck and good hunting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote