New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-06 or 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm confused. I was pretty much decided on the Whelen, but after comparing the two, it seems I can shoot a bullet of the same or even higher wt (300 grains), higher SD, and similar (or faster?) speed. I just wish Saeed had reloading data on the 35 Whelen, so I could compare them directly.

What do you think, about the relative advantages of the 338-06 over the Whelen? I'm now leaning toward the 338 for my medium bore in-the-works. I would probably use heavier wt. bullets most of the time (225 gr or above).

Thanks for your input,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All else being equal , the Whelen will beat the 33 bore version by 100 fps or so with the same weight bullets . A wider bore with the same case will always push equal weight bullets faster ......The 35 Whelen beats the .338/06 the same way the .338 beats the 30/06.....

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Todd Getzen,

An other option coulmd be a 9.3X62. Similar to 35 Whelen A.I.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No differants to any thing you well shoot I was going to have a whelen made up then I fround a 338 06 for 200 dollars all done up on a 98 action scope inclued so instead of paying a lot more for the whelen I went with the 338 06.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both calibers and having taken bull elk and nilgai with them. As expected, no real difference in performance. I use the 210 gr Partition over VV-N550 powder for 2820 fps in the 22" barrel of my 338-06. I use the 250 gr Partition over Re 15 in my 35 Whelen for 2550 fps in a 22" barrel. Both bullets have exited everything shot to date including some pretty stout shoulders. If I wanted to shoot 250 gr bullets I would lean towards the 35 Whelen. As suggested, I have been having fun with a couple of 9.3x62's. Taking one to South Africa in a month shooting the 250 gr Barnes X at 2680 fps with VV-N550 powder.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It's really a coin toss. I have a .338-06 & love it. I'm sure if I had gone to the Whelen I would love it as well. The .338 offers a bit better selection in bullets & the Whelen offers a bit more close range thump. I can verify Ed's statement about penetration. I have only recovered (1) 210grNP from any of the big game I've taken w/ the .338-06. Can you imagine how well the 250gr do!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<richard10x>
posted
Just my two cents here, but I am a big fan of the Ackley Improved line of cartridges, with the .338-06 at the top of the heap. There are a huge number of fine bullets available in this bore size, the improved case will last through a lot of reloadings, and any advantage the .35 Whelen has in velocity over the standard .338-06 will be cancelled by the extra capacity of the improved case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always liked the 338-06 the best of the two, I like the SD and the longer bullets..

But I think the 9.3x62 is the best of all worlds, hands down and I can see the difference when used on game. At least thats my definate impression. I compare it to the 375 with less recoil.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the thompson/center custom shop do me a
24 inch barrel in .35 whelen for my Encore.
surprisingly its become the most accurate
rifle that I own, shooting 5 250gr partitions
into 1 ragged hole. I've only had the chance
to use on game animal (medium black bear)but
it worked well. Couldn't criticize the 338/06, as they are all but identical in the
field, but I will say that my experiece with
the 35 whelen has been positive

Posts: 32 | Location: georgia usa | Registered: 01 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ola>
posted
Have got a .338-06AI. A very good carteridge. You get 3050+ f/s with the 160 gr. Barnes X (caribou-load), and 2530 f/s with 250 gr Swift A-frame(moose). 60 centimetre barrel-length. (The Swift-load is hot. The throwt in this chambre is lenghtened a litle). The penetration is very good. I compared it to my brothers .375 H&H in dry phone cataloges. With 300 gr swift the 375 was equal to 1/2 a cataloge better when using 250 gr Swift in the .338. The bullets may stop in the neck of a big bull moose, (very heavy bone), but mostly penetrates "everything".

The .35 Wheelen has got one advantidge that I cant get out of my mind. It is possible to use cheap, light-weight revolver bullets for training in it. Dont know how precise it may shoot with this combination. Looking away from this I would choose the .338, due to the better SD, but the difference is very small I think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 35 Whelen because it's an old classic named for a great rifleman. Those oare good reasons to favor anything in my mind! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I had read that the Whelen gives up a little in velocity, despite the larger bore size -- good to know that's not the case. With that in mind, I'm leaning a little more toward the Whelen, simply because I think the bigger the hole, the better.

I'm hoping my brother will be able to break this rifle in on a bear this fall. I plan to use my 416, also hoping to inaugurate it on a bear.

Thanks for the input; if anyone else wants to weigh in, please do.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you posted while I was typing. Truth be told, this is also a big reason why I favor the Whelen.
Todd

<waldog>
posted
As I write this, my smith is putting the final touches on a 338-06AI with a 23.5" (60cm) barrel. I test fired it with 200gr pills last week and it was love-at-first-sight...er...shot.

When I was deciding on what to build, I decided to work the problem backwards. Meaning, rather than select first the rifle make, then a calliber, then a cartridge, then a bullet then a load. I reversed the order. Long story short, the .338-06AI was selected.

I'll get dang near magnum velocities plus an extra poke in the magazine. A distinct advantage the Whelen shares.

Personally, I think that you are about to fall passionately in love with whatever you choose. Any further thought on this is mental energy that could be spent on picking an excellent smith to do your work!

good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I own both a .338-06 (in a Weatherby) and a .35 Whelen (in a Ruger 77 MkII). I haven't done any hunting with either one yet, however. The .338-06 is going with me to South Africa this August though. I'm still working up loads for the .338-06 while the .35 Whelen is at the gunsmiths getting a very nice custom stock.

The .35 Whelen does have that touch of class and nostalgia and, at least for me, that's reason enough to get one if you want one. The .338-06 is what I consider to be a poor man's .318 Westley Richards (.330" bullet). The .338-06 will duplicate the .318 W-R and the .318 certainly had/has a good reputation in Africa and elsewhere. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Just get the one that you like the best.

Now I need to start looking around for a 9.3x62!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
A few years ago I was thinking the same as you, which one? After a lot of looking, reading, and talking to others, when talking standard 338-06 and 35 Whelen, performance is about the same. When the improved versons are compaired, about the same. I went with a 35 Whelen improved and have been very happy. As for loads, I have not hunted any real large game with this gun, only ND whithtail deer, and small stuff, but what a gun. I load the nosler 225BT to get 2830fps and use it for everything. I is was going for truly large stuff, a 250gr at 2650fps shouls be good. If not, then I would grab a larger gun like my 375 H&H or my 416 taylor when I get around to building it. They are very simular, but when you shoot into "stuff" and you see that the bullets have been designed for the 35 whelen speeds and then look at what speeds the 338 bullets are designed to perform at, then my vote goes to the 35's. Good luck, these choices are the fun kind!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
338-06 sounds sexier, 35 whelen makes a bigger hole. I posted a bit more of my thoughts on this thread http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/000009.html

I agree with the assement that for 210-225 gr, the 338-06 is a better choice, and for 250 gr, the whelen is a better choice. Inside 300 yds, the trajectories are within 1" of eachother, and velocities within 100 fps for same weigth bullets. I have yet to hear of complaints about the whelen's ability to penetrate, so the sd argument is bs IMHO

One last thing, if you want to try cast bullets, the whelen is one of the best, and there are lots of molds available, from 125 gr to 280 gr.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Make mine a 9,3 x 62mm followed by a .338 06

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Save you all the trouble and get a 9.3x62, it will beat both of them.

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd...
About a month ago I got my new 35 Whelen.
Its a Ruger M77 MK II stainless with the new fiber stock. Barrel is a stainless 22" Shilen. So far it has proved to be an exellent shoter with MOA / 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
For me the choice was easy �couse I had a 338 winnie alredy.

I like my Whelen wery much, and are looking forward to do some more load developing and for the hunt this fall.

------------------
Arild Iversen
~ Ad spes infracta ~

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
Todd

I have been shooting the 35 Whelen for almost 10 years. My particular rifle has a long throat and very long magazine box. I am able to get 35 Whelen imp. velocities and bullets are excellent from 125 gr to 310 gr.

The Whelen is not sexy or fast but it sure works on game. IMHO can't tell the difference between the 338 Win Mag and the Whelen when it comes to putting game in the freezer. The 338 just extends the range about 100yds.

Just my .02 worth

BD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously you need both. A 35 for those "heavy flow days" and a 338-06 for "low flow security". OOPS! Sorry, way too many commercials in my brain. But I still think you need one of each. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Isn't it funny how the 338-06 & 35 Whelen guys get along better than the 270 & 280 guys do. Must be a medium bore thing.

I don't have any first hand experience with either round, but I do admire both. If your hunting medium game often, you may want to pick the 338-06. If larger game at medium range is your thing, go with the Whelen. I'd like to get a 338-06 someday....someday

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
TODD GETZEN,
These two cartridges are so simular in performance I think any cited differences are personal bias. I've had and used both on game. They both kill dead, and that's as dead as you can get. The only factor I could find that was a credible difference is ammo availabilty in case you have to pick some up on the fly. The difference of opinion on this was interesting. Many things were brought up that I hadn't thought of. Thank you all. Good luck to all.

------------------
BigBob

[This message has been edited by BigBob (edited 05-14-2002).]