THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    In regards to the new Rigby Highland Stalker.....
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In regards to the new Rigby Highland Stalker.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What scope mounts/rings would you use?? Since they come drilled and tapped...and with open sights.
With the .275 Rigby in mind.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Mine is being built now. Talley is making a special mount that I will be using and the scope is a Swarovski Z3 3x10. I am getting the Highlander in 30-06.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did they quote you for lead time?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Mine is being built now. Talley is making a special mount that I will be using and the scope is a Swarovski Z3 3x10. I am getting the Highlander in 30-06.

Look forward to seeing it. Cool.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:

Look forward to seeing it. Cool.

Yes please post pictures when you get it!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I did not ask about a lead time as Marc is doing a few things different. He did a great job on Clara's London Best and I am excited to see what he does on this one.

Be safe and good shooting..............Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
It took me about 18 months to get my Rigby Big Game, but I did add a few options. I would think 12 to 18 months. I keep thinking about one in 9.3x62....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
When I visited Rigby last month in London I had the opportunity to handle a Highland Stalker. I thought it was well made and balanced well.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Could you guys please post photos of such rifles PLEEEESE.

This is so unfair!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
I purchased one at SCI show this year and was quoted 4-6 months. Received call Friday that the Rifle is in U.S. and that I should have it in about a week.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the rounded grip mandatory on the Highland Stalker?

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would love to see pics and hear more - handled one at DSC and balance was great. Seems like a nice rifle.

My only question was given they plan to make a large number of them, does it make more sense to buy used in the future? Will they start popping up on gunsinternational?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope to goodness its a Mauser and looks like a Rigby has looked of ions..not a Blazer looking creepy thingamajig!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here goes.
Calibre is 275 Rigby, open sights regulated for a 140 grs bullet.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what a nice rifle, functional beauty, plain jane hunting rifle, good straight grained, well laid out wood, extended proper Prince of whales grip, short forend,, proper set of iron sights, and more. Has all the needed features and no frills...I like it. but price will be the determing feature..

I fear because historically Rigby, H&H, and WR, are bloody snobs and play the name game..

Any American Gun Maker can duplicate that gun and my guess is for half the money. Cost to build such a gun is minamal and If Im wrong then I may place my order for one.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Ramrod can turn my wood to resemble (closely) the Highlander stock, I would build a few - 6.5x57, 9.3x62, and 30-06. The lines are sweet, and I think the rifle will balance and point like an, ahem Rigby.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
https://hendershots.net/produc...er-3006-springfield/

$11,650.00

I had originally posted that a lot of people could build a better rifle for half. I thought Todd Ramirez was in this price category. It appears that he might be quite a bit more, but his rifle has quite a bit more going for them.

I am pretty unimpressed.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a ridiculas price for that rifle! nothing exceptional about it, plain jane wood but nicely laid out, prince of whales stock, no bells and whistles at all..cost to build would be abour $1000 or so for them to build..I know a bunch of US custom gun builders that would build the same gun for $3000 to $3500 some even less..All in all its a 98 mauser, a barrel with island sights,swivel, front sight, d&T, recoil pad..C'mon that's not much for $11,000 plus.

I would be inclined to find and early H&H or WR at probably less than that. Rigby has had a rough few years, and that's exactly the reason why.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
That is a ridiculas price for that rifle! nothing exceptional about it, plain jane wood but nicely laid out, prince of whales stock, no bells and whistles at all..cost to build would be abour $1000 or so for them to build..I know a bunch of US custom gun builders that would build the same gun for $3000 to $3500 some even less..All in all its a 98 mauser, a barrel with island sights,swivel, front sight, d&T, recoil pad..C'mon that's not much for $11,000 plus.

I would be inclined to find and early H&H or WR at probably less than that. Rigby has had a rough few years, and that's exactly the reason why.

Yep. I'd start (and probably end) with Dennis Olson.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle.

To my amateur eyes, the new Rigby rifles look heavier and a bit more beefy than the old classics.

That photo would be fine for a 9.3X62 IMHO

I thought that the original 275 Rigby was a sleek light rifle.

Any comments?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
It is a little weird looking in that picture.
Like it has a 20-22" barrel or something.
To think of the original British bolt guns I let go of in the last few years...
I guess there is that contingent of buyers who want something "bespoke" and new but I am totally happy with hand me down guns from the Golden age of gunmaking.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
Here goes.
Calibre is 275 Rigby, open sights regulated for a 140 grs bullet.

Nice looking rifle but i hope the weight is more practical than their 416.... a fixed 4# would be my pick over low Recknagel mounts

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There is nothing bespoke about it. It is a new production Mauser 98 from Blaser stocked and finished in Britain.

You are paying for the name, and the name alone.

Odds are it is probably a Prechtl to begin with.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my input as a "Brit". Yes, it looks nice, no i isn't worth US $11,000 AND more to the point if I want an open sighted Mauser 98 then I want one still with the "hump" charger guide in place.

You know there's something just plain satisfying about loading your Mauser action iron sighted hunting rifle from a clip at the start of the hunt. And from carrying two further clips in your pocket instead of loose or in a leather pouch.

The whole benefit, IMHO, of an open sighted Mauser is that it can be clip loaded if it still retains the "hump"and charger guides. And in practical hunting terms on an open sighted rifle it is a worthwhile feature to retain.

If you've no "hump" then you might just as well stick a telescopic sight on the thing, even a 3x, and be done with the matter.

Here's my own Czech Mauser in .270 WCF. It cost me just UK Pounds 100 and whilst it desn't say Rigby on it it was, at least, BRNO made in the 1950s.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
The standard Highlander rifle is considerably less than the price listed here.

We all have likes, dislikes, values and things that do or do not impress us. Luxury items worth and value are all in the eyes and minds of the owners and those that enjoy and appreciate such things. Be it a Rolex watch, fine liquors and wines, vehicles, firearms or whatever; we all have our tastes and desires and should work hard to attain them if it makes us happy. We only get one go around in this wonderful world so enjoy!

Arild: Congratulations on your beautiful rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UK price is UK Pounds 5,400 plus 20% UK Sales Tax. So tax free its about US $ 6,500.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since they are drilled and tapped for telescopic sights, what might one think would be the appropriate mount bases for the rifle?
Talley, Leupold QD, Standard, EAW (generally too high) Warne, etc.?

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please PM me contact info for people who will build me one of those for $3,000.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
How about Wayne at AHR? May not be bespoke custom but his work looks nice & very affordable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
How about Wayne at AHR? May not be bespoke custom but his work looks nice & very affordable.

He reworks the action, any caliber, barrels, stocked to fit and any option you want. Seems pretty bespoke to me. He just doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Wink

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I notice pretty much everything Hendershots lists on their website is pretty spendy. The price quoted for the Rigby is much higher than I've seen elsewhere.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

He reworks the action, any caliber, barrels, stocked to fit and any option you want. Seems pretty bespoke to me. He just doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Wink

Wayne has built me two guns and he could build an equivalent rifle but it would cost more like $5500.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This one seems like an original.
[URL= ]275 Rigby[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
This one seems like an original.
[URL= ]275 Rigby[/URL]

I like the forestock slimness on this much more than the new highland stalker and notice the difference in the pitch of the butt as well. The highland stalker seems more intended for a lean forward type of rested shot where this beauty has a butt pitch that would be more comfortable for a man standing upright for a freehand shot.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, perfect. Heart stopping!

Why do they make the current 7X57 with such a chunky barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because they are more concerned with 5 shot groups at the range Vs. 1 shot groups in the field....... Just say'n

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is they use the same barrel from 7-9.3mm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RyanB, you have a PM as per your request for a $3000 to $3500 custom.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who uses chunky barrels??, most seem to me to be like a no. 2 or 3 Douglas. neither of which I would call chunky, but perhaps standard??...

The 7x57 Im about to finish is a 22" #1 fwt. barrel, with a .550 crown and that's really light. Im building it for myself...Most folks want a bit more beef in their barrels as fwt.s are supposed to be less accurate and won't shoot. I have not found that to be true at all, its a bad rap, at least for a hunting rifle IMO...A lot of 7x57 custom rifles are built with fwt. barrels, as are the later mod. 70 Win.

Also many 7x57 are milsurp conversions and they mostly have the stepped barrels..The old mod. 70s were std. wt. and had std. wt. barrels. but as to chunky, not sure where you are on that???

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120