THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    In regards to the new Rigby Highland Stalker.....
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In regards to the new Rigby Highland Stalker.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you get fitted for your Rigby? If so, what did it entail? Are there options on stock dimension, stock adjusted for optics and whatnot?

I was thinking about making a booking to swing by when I transit the UK in a few months but I wasn't sure how limited they were on stock adjustments for that particular rifle?

Have there been any performance reviews published, as in accuracy and so forth?

Where are they sourcing their components...I assume it is a factory Mauser, barreled by them and sent to Rigby for finishing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rigby makes lovely rifles, but I cannot for the life of me understand why they chose to grind the bolt handle to clear the scope bell instead of sweeping it to the rear or bending it. Everything else about that rifle has clearly been thought out with great care, but a ground-down bolt handle is the kind of thing I'd expect from a $150 pawnshop 98.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I for like that style of Mauser bolt handle on the new Stalkers. Wink

I find it kind of interesting that many here question the new Rigby Stalker but have apparently never actually gone on their website to look at what they're all about.

A few seem to think that they can get a similar configured rifle though a custom maker for far less money but looking at some of the custom offerings they sure don't come out much cheaper to me! I also question those that theorize which rifle will maintain the best value. Just looking at how much old Rigby's go for tells me that they will still hold an edge. Most customs can be bought for much less down the road than they originally were bought for. Yes there certainly is a price to pay for the Rigby name but at least in my eyes I think they're on the right track by offering a nice rifle from a well known maker at a fairly reasonable price.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The recent history of Rigby would make me reluctant to spend that much money, even if I needed absolutely the most reliable rifle, were filthy rich and wanted to rub everyone's nose in that fact.

The price may illustrate the law of diminishing returns but I suspect it is simply a pitch at the personality of certain buyers, those who have to pay the most for things for one of the reasons above or one even less worthy.

I bought a bottle of Dom Perignon for my wife for a significant birthday, just for the hell of it. It was soft and creamy but perhaps only 5% better than a local wine I know of that costs one-tenth as much. Gifts like that can work sometimes because people know their price and you can't think of anything better in the situation. But would I spend $10,000 or more on a Mauser-derived magazine rifle? Not on your Nelly!

Posts: 4970 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Reviving this post .... seems to me that Rigby is doing very well, they have now brought out a falling block that starts at GBP 65.000,- and orders are high!

I have used my Highland Stalker .275 in Scotland, England, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Namibia and RSA and love the rifle!

Today it would almost be double what I paid for it to buy it to the same specs now, so I guess I purchased it at the right time Wink

Great rifle and a joy to hunt!

Cheers,

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2262 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote